Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you place an actual tip jar or even a sign saying something like "Tips" you know thats not going to fly. Here is something I do to encourage cash tips. Place in the cupholder on your console assorted change and a bunch of 1 dollar bills. Not too much, but just enough.

Keep in mind this strategy might be dangerous in some neighborhoods like Paterson or Newark. You never want to display money in sketchy places. However, it works perfectly in wealthy suburbs. People see the cash in the cupholder and get the hint. Next thing you know, there is a little cash in your hand.

Dont try to take this further with signs or actual tip jars. Just use the cupholder built into the vehicle and put in there a little cash. Lets say some change and 7 1-dollar bills. Thats good enough. If you try to take it further, someone is going to get insulted, downrate you or might complain to Uber.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I leave money in my cup holders or the little space for random stuff below the radio. Most pax understand what it is but I've noticed days I don't do it, pretty much means no tips are going to come in. I always put a $5 and a couple $1s

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
I met a guy (fellow driver) a few months ago who had a tip/candy jar in his car. It's made by a driver out in California. The driver I met told me that he at least makes his gas every time he goes out. It was nice and actually looked cool with the light up changing cables. I would definitely order one if my car wasn't so small.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I met a guy (fellow driver) a few months ago who had a tip/candy jar in his car. It's made by a driver out in California. The driver I met told me that he at least makes his gas every time he goes out. It was nice and actually looked cool with the light up changing cables. I would definitely order one if my car wasn't so small.

https://facebook.com/ridesharecandyjar
That's much better than a tip jar imo.

·
Registered
579 Posts

https://facebook.com/ridesharecandyjar
$55 is a lot for a tip jar.. look awkward also.. feel like the Fresh Prince's taxi

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I am a slow learner and it took me a year to figure this out. You absolutely need cash tips to break even on the gas and other expenses which go along with the car. At least 200 cash per week for full time drivers. In the past Ive tried different strategies to loosen pockets such as dressing in a suit and tie, providing water bottles, etc, but now Im finding the BEST strategy is to get personal with the passengers. Ask them how was diner, how their morning is going, etc. I will even go so far as to ask where they are coming from, etc. Still no matter what you do, no cash tip, but all it takes is a few guys to leave cash here and there for it to build up to a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Picked up a couple Saturday at 3 am up in Flanders route 206 off of route 80
Well the first ping I was in whippany I cancel the ride to far away and the whole north side of route 80 was in surge not the south side Flanders was to the south side no surge so I started driving in that direction (route80) I get the call again same one
So I decided to called them up to see where they wanted to go
The voice of desperation on the phone of this women begging for someone to pick them up to drive them back home to Bloomfield telling me that six drivers had already cancel the trip on them
So I told her I'll see you in about 15 minutes
Got there pick them up drove them back down to Bloomfield and the guy hands me over $15 bucks tip and thanks me for picking them up
I thank them and told them next time try to pre arrange a uber pick up if it's that hard finding a car at that time Request uber and ask driver to be there at the time you going to need him and I'm pretty sure that the driver would do something like that if a good tip was involved
He said sure I'll try that next time

·
Registered
76 Posts
the pax are just playing along with uber's no cash needed policy no tips is ubers own fault there not driving risking there lives on the road there already worth billions so they abuse power the person who decided to put this on ubers app must have been denied something sometime

·
Registered
484 Posts
the pax are just playing along with uber's no cash needed policy no tips is ubers own fault there not driving risking there lives on the road there already worth billions so they abuse power the person who decided to put this on ubers app must have been denied something sometime
Actually the played stupid line gets used all the time
"You are great I'm going to give you a five star I wish I could give a six star and I'm sorry I don't have any cash on me I would love to give you tip and uber doesn't have that option" and then I answer
" thank you you also getting a five star and I do accept plastic credit, debit since you insist in giving me a tip" thank you sir lol
The look on their faces priceless lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts