Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Might I suggest the topic of leasing versus buying versus using your existing car is a great topic that should be covered under a new thread but I reckon it is worth discussing and don't be too hasty to write leasing off as a bad option."

The above quote is from Graham in another thread. But I thought I'd kick it off. Not just rent vs Lease vs Buy, but what to buy.

What is the right car for Uber X. And what is the best way to get it.

I know the Yellow Taxi folk have dropped of the Falcon after 30 years, and their weapon of choice is now a 2.5 Camry on LPG. But they are not rated on their passenger experience.

A little econobox of some sort will be cheaper to run, but would passengers hate the back seat of your Polo and rate you down, conversely they may love your 7 series, but it will send you broke. Even on a more basic level, 8 year old car (cheaper) or newer low km. (more reliable) What's the sweet spot. Obviously a lot of people will simply be using their existing car. I'm interested in what works and doesn't their too.

I've only done 2 trips in an Uber as a Pax. 1 was a 3 month old X5 Sport $130K car, parents car borrowed. the other was a 2010 Base model Territory on Gas. Both neat n clean and quiet. All good. 5 Star actually. But clearly the true cost of running the X5 was not being factored in whereas the Terry was a dedicated Uber car.

Your thoughts and experiences.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My thoughts on the territory are very high costs for maintenance once over 100,000 kms good luck, polo too small, I have the Camry it is economical ....passengers don't care, they just want a cheap ride

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Camry Hybrid for me. Average fuel consumption I use is 5.5L/100km. Service costs low, tyres cheap, reliable cars. My ratings are not affected by "passanger experience". I have had the car for 3 years and started driving for Uber 9 months ago.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Taxi fleet owners (who are notorious for penny pinching) are using Camry hybrids. If running costs are low enough for taxis, then it should be low for Uber drivers as well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Top of the range Mazda CX-5, customers love it and its so good to drive. Being a SUV I never bottom it out, I even can do a U turn over a medium strip when needed. Also fits 4 large suit cases in the back for airport runs etc

·
Registered
891 Posts
FG Falcon on LPG it's reliable cheap to run and came with a warranty up to 200k.
Plenty of boot room for airport runs to.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Top of the range Mazda CX-5, customers love it and its so good to drive. Being a SUV I never bottom it out, I even can do a U turn over a medium strip when needed. Also fits 4 large suit cases in the back for airport runs etc
I like the CX-5 how is it on fuel??

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
and their weapon of choice is now a 2.5 Camry on LPG.
Umm you might want to check again, most of them a hybrid camrys and there is a reason why.....

Camry Hybrid for me. Average fuel consumption I use is 5.5L/100km.
Can confirm this fuel eco figure. The hybrid camry just loves the city on Uber and is cheaper to run than a faladore on LPG.

FG Falcon on LPG it's reliable cheap to run
Whats your LPG usage per 100 kms in the city doing fuber?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Umm you might want to check again, most of them a hybrid camrys and there is a reason why.....
Not my info. It was from a dealer who sells cars to cabbies and he wasn't trying to sell anything to me. I have no idea if it's better or worse than a Hybrid. To me, a hybrid makes sense in stop start running. It might be because of the cost of a battery pack if your putting a zillion kms on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another Camry Hybrid 2012 fuber driver here... did have a Honda Accord 2013 which passengers loved before i wrote it off. Decided on the camry as it still a decent size and great fuel economy.

I think a lot of camry hybrid taxis are also LPG to give even greater economy?? Can someone confirm this?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
A mate of mine manages a small fleet of taxis in NSW and they are moving to the Camry Hybrids for fuel economy however he has found their lifespan to be considerably less than the old Fords cancelling out some of the savings. All in all, he still believes he's ahead with the Hybrid. I have a petrol Hyundai I40 and the passengers love it, and so do I. I average out at 8.7/100 which I think is reasonable. My car was already leased through my company (chattel mortgage) so for me it is a non-issue about leasing versus buying BUT what about other people's situations? If I didn't own a car or I had an old bomb unsuitable for Uber work what would I do? If the sole reason for obtaining or upgrading a vehicle mainly for Uber use then I seriously doubt whether buying the vehicle outright would be a good option, happy to be contradicted! Each to their own but usually the tax benefits make long-term leasing a very attractive proposition but you need to do majority of business kms to fully realise those benefits. What about short-term leasing, say weekly or monthly? I haven't done the sums but on the surface it may just suit someone who wants to jump in to Uber driving and doesn't have the option to undertake a long-term lease. My understanding is that you are probably paying around $250 to $300 per week for short term leasing and the only additional cost is fuel. That's got to be worth a look if your intention is to drive say more than 40 hours a week where you can recoup those costs. Let's leave it to the accountants

·
Registered
891 Posts

Can confirm this fuel eco figure. The hybrid camry just loves the city on Uber and is cheaper to run than a faladore on LPG.

Whats your LPG usage per 100 kms in the city doing fuber?
It cost me around $9 per 100km around town.
Good thing about LPG is it stays around the same price all the time.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
It cost me around $9 per 100km around town.
Good thing about LPG is it stays around the same price all the time.
That's pretty impressive figures and the fact that LPG prices are generally more stable helps a lot. When the price of petrol is around $1.05 to $1.10 I'm probably close to matching those numbers but as we saw a week or two back the price jumped up to over $1.20 and that makes a big difference. Really the decision of what's the best car for Uber driving comes down to how fair dinkum you want to be. I drive maybe 20-30 hours a week tops so for me I would not choose a car purely on Uber needs. But if I was above 40-50 hours a week then my number one priority would be fuel running costs in a medium sized vehicle and for that I think the Camry Hybrid would be a hard car to beat

·
Registered
891 Posts
That's pretty impressive figures and the fact that LPG prices are generally more stable helps a lot. When the price of petrol is around $1.05 to $1.10 I'm probably close to matching those numbers but as we saw a week or two back the price jumped up to over $1.20 and that makes a big difference. Really the decision of what's the best car for Uber driving comes down to how fair dinkum you want to be. I drive maybe 20-30 hours a week tops so for me I would not choose a car purely on Uber needs. But if I was above 40-50 hours a week then my number one priority would be fuel running costs in a medium sized vehicle and for that I think the Camry Hybrid would be a hard car to beat
I do around 15-20 hours per week so the FG was a good cheap car I did not want to spend to much Incase I got booted because if my raiting. If I was Full time 40+hours per week the Camry Hybrid would be my choice to.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts