Uber Drivers Forum banner

Carjackings in Rochester

914 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Prius Mike 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of changing my pickup procedure in Rochester based on the current increase in carjackings. I drive mostly in the dark, and many of my rides are in areas that have historically been high crime, just that the crimes typically hadn't happened at the times that I drive. These recent carjackings haven't been limited to particular times or locations, though.

I'm thinking this isn't currently necessary in the suburbs, but here's what I have set up in an autocomplete for messaging the passenger after accepting the ride. (I already have autocomplete messages that I use regularly.) I haven't used this one yet - haven't driven in about a week for other reasons.

IMPORTANT: All passengers must be AT THE CURB and ALREADY WEARING A MASK when I arrive. Because of the current risk of carjacking I WILL NOT WAIT for passengers or pull into driveways. You may not enter the vehicle unless wearing a mask. I will not wait while you put it on.​
To ensure your ride, pay attention to the app and be "toes to the curb" at the pickup point indicated on the map before I arrive. I will not search for you. Cancelled rides are subject to fees.​
Now to be clear, I already don't pull into driveways, don't take passengers without masks, don't accept reservation rides, and cancel any reserved rides that sneak through where I'll arrive before the time shown in Pickup Info, and I go back online in the other rideshare app (and accept a more desirable ride if it comes in) if I wait more than one or two minutes for a passenger. I also always 1-star anyone who makes me wait and doesn't give a sufficient cash tip. When I do decide to wait out the cancel timer, I always charge the fee. So I'm already very intolerant of passengers who aren't toes to the curb. But I think that safety may warrant this zero wait time policy.

Now, if the passenger isn't toes to the curb, I may decide to circle the block and swing back by (cancelled rides aren't really that profitable, after all) - always subject to whether the situation feels right and whether I get another ride instead. So I also set up this 'you weren't there' message:

I did not see a passenger wearing a mask at the pickup point indicated on the map. If it is safe I may return to the pickup point after circling the block.​
You have two choices at this point: 1) be at the pickup point wearing a mask or 2) cancel the ride.​
Be advised that your passenger rating will now be adversely affected if I still provide the ride. Rides cancelled by passengers cannot be rated by drivers.​
In other words - 'I'm going to 1-star you now if I even decide to give the ride. If you don't want 1 star, cancel it yourself. Send me any backtalk and I'll circle someone else's block until the cancel timer runs out.'

Has anyone else taken a similar policy lately?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.