Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
My battery gets drained so quickly. I turn off all my other apps. I even have an Apple backup battery. My phone charges fine at home. Wonder if my USB car port got wet from getting a car wash when the car wash dudes wipe with a wet towel.
It's so bad, that I need to go home after 3-4 hours.
Yes, I do have a 2016 Prius, so no jokes.
Suggestions?

· Premium Member
14,262 Posts
Try deleting unnecessary apps. Even though you may think they’re closed some apps can suck you dry in the background.

Amazon Flex was the culprit in my case.

And if you don’t already, keep phone plugged in at all times in car.

Also. Update your iOS, if you lag behind too long Apple starts draining you to get you to update. (Tin foil hat theory)

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try deleting unnecessary apps. Even though you may think they're closed some apps can suck you dry in the background.

And if you don't already, keep phone plugged in at all times in car.

Also. Update your iOS, if you lag behind too long Apple starts draining you to get you to update. (Tin foil hat theory)
Good idea. I was thinking about deleting Facebook on my phone because I don't give a sh*t what people are eating, where people are traveling and how much money they have flaunting all their material items. Oh, and these are the people who NEVER tip their driver.

· Premium Member
4,351 Posts
There are many free "Battery Apps" that will monitor your battery charging and discharge rates, including voltage/amps, what your battery capacity is rated for and what it actually is at and also make suggestions on improving battery life.

My android phone battery capacity new was rated as 3100 mAh (milliamps) but after 3 years of use now has an estimated capacity of only 2100 mAh.

Or walk into an apple store and ask for help?

Good luck.

Oh, if you have a USB cable that you only use in your car, try using the one from your home. USB cables also go bad.

And doesn't your 2016 Prius have more than one USB charging port? If so, try a different one?

· Premium Member
11,381 Posts
Try deleting unnecessary apps. Even though you may think they're closed some apps can suck you dry in the background.

And if you don't already, keep phone plugged in at all times in car.

It's not a tinfoil hat theory, Apple admitted it as part of a lawsuit pay out.

· Premium Member
5,328 Posts
The USB ports in most cars only puts out .5 amps (1/2 of 1 amp) the reason they exist is to plug in a thumb drive full of music.... some cars have 1 amp or 1.5 amp USB ports, but they are usually marked so you know they are high amperage output.

Check your owners manual for details.

It's most likely best to get a quality "cigarette lighter" usb charger like Aukey or Anker and a good quality cord too (heavy wire passes more current than cheap thin wires)

· Registered
1,960 Posts
If you have a base model you get the low output USB port, that's how Toyota does it, I have a fully loaded trim package with the high output usb... Toyota's idea of high output is 1.5 amps, I dont bother using it

Hard wired my own set up with full power chargers for me only to the left of the steering wheel

· Premium Member
6,352 Posts
Hello All,
My battery gets drained so quickly. I turn off all my other apps. I even have an Apple backup battery. My phone charges fine at home. Wonder if my USB car port got wet from getting a car wash when the car wash dudes wipe with a wet towel.
It's so bad, that I need to go home after 3-4 hours.
Yes, I do have a 2016 Prius, so no jokes.
Suggestions?
You need a lighning cable to charge your phone fast, dont use a cheap one from 711 they usually have thicker cords, also if your usp port is only throwing out 5vdc it will take longer to charge.

Get a aux port lightning charger if all else fails

Fyi for those who didnt know there are standard chargers and lightning chargers, lightning chargers will heat up your battery a little bit more, but will charge your phone while in use. Standard are easier on your battery and will not usually charge if ypu have more then one active app runing

· Registered
4,866 Posts
It's not just the amperage capacity, the chargers are now intelligent devices that communicate with the phone's charging circuitry to dynamically adjust charging voltage from 3V up to 20V (depending on the charger's QuickCharge standard level). So with Android phones, you want to get a charger that is compatible at a minimum with QC 3.0 but preferably QC 4.0 compatible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_Charge

I can't speak for fruit phones, but I'm sure it's a similar technology.

· Registered
67 Posts
I noticed was having similar charging problem. I don't use my car usb port because past experience showed it does not charge as fast aux port. After putting my apps to sleep I noticed the uber app after updating to new version was draining my battery faster than it could charge. I also looked at replacing my charging cable. I purchased an anker fast charging cable from Amazon and so far has dramatically improved charging. I have a Samsung s7 edge which shows what apps drain my battery and Uber app is still main culprit. I am constantly puuting Uber app to sleep or force closing when not in use. I hope this info helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.