Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can imagine that driving 6-8 hours a week on weekends in Hoboken doesn't really cause me too many run ins with babies and small children, however I somehow got two back to back parents/kiddies last night at midnight. You can already imagine the responsibility levels here...

First, was a woman well past child rearing age with a young boy definitely under 4 and a toddler in a stroller. I doubt the kids were even hers, which makes this even more ridiculous. I apologized and said no go, but am now fighting with uber over the cancel fee because she didn't even show up to my car till about 4m 30s. Not to mention I really regret not getting out of my car and laying a few choice words on her for the force with which she slammed my car door. Sometimes, my lack of interest in engaging with @ssholes is probably misetaken for me being a doormat.

The second was a dad with one of those baby harness contraptions and a cup of coffee (awesome idea - lets get into a stranger's car with a scalding beverage in a city where drunks hurl themselves into crosswalks AND for fun, lets put a baby in your lap). I cancelled immediately upon arriving so no fee to be had there, but I contacted uber to basically say - hey, don't don't my ding my rate, it's not my fault. Their response was laughable. Along the lines of, "if driving an infant wth no car seat makes you UNCOMFORTABLE, you are always able to refuse the ride." Lol. Whatever. More like "if being the scapegoat isn't something you're ok with, we kind of understand, I guess."

Anyway, long story short - how do you guys cancel these requests to maximize your chances of collecting a cancel fee after 5 min and so that it doesn't hurt your score? I couldn't find any option about a car seat in the choices. Am I blind?

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
You can imagine that driving 6-8 hours a week on weekends in Hoboken doesn't really cause me too many run ins with babies and small children, however I somehow got two back to back parents/kiddies last night at midnight. You can already imagine the responsibility levels here...

First, was a woman well past child rearing age with a young boy definitely under 4 and a toddler in a stroller. I doubt the kids were even hers, which makes this even more ridiculous. I apologized and said no go, but am now fighting with uber over the cancel fee because she didn't even show up to my car till about 4m 30s. Not to mention I really regret not getting out of my car and laying a few choice words on her for the force with which she slammed my car door. Sometimes, my lack of interest in engaging with @ssholes is probably misetaken for me being a doormat.

The second was a dad with one of those baby harness contraptions and a cup of coffee (awesome idea - lets get into a stranger's car with a scalding beverage in a city where drunks hurl themselves into crosswalks AND for fun, lets put a baby in your lap). I cancelled immediately upon arriving so no fee to be had there, but I contacted uber to basically say - hey, don't don't my ding my rate, it's not my fault. Their response was laughable. Along the lines of, "if driving an infant wth no car seat makes you UNCOMFORTABLE, you are always able to refuse the ride." Lol. Whatever. More like "if being the scapegoat isn't something you're ok with, we kind of understand, I guess."

Anyway, long story short - how do you guys cancel these requests to maximize your chances of collecting a cancel fee after 5 min and so that it doesn't hurt your score? I couldn't find any option about a car seat in the choices. Am I blind?
A couple of cancel I have done only one of them invilving an infant I told them t cancell aand request another car. When they refused and told me I shoul cancel I said ok and took-off just to wait around the corner and cancel no-show lol. If they are jerks let them figth it with Uber firts. Worst scenario Uber removes the cancel fee then you figth back. Not worh arguing with jerks.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Haven't got none of those baby carrier uber riders maybe the times I drive it's not popular lucky me knock on wood

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Not to sound racist or anything, but all of my issues with kids and seats are Hispanic woman who barely speak any English. It must be their culture, perhaps not a law in Mexico...idk

·
Registered
48 Posts
If it's a cancel situation I kindly ask the rider to do so. Once I had a rider ping me who was slow to get to the car and when she came down said she had 5 people. I told her she'd need to cancel and get an XL to which she replied, "can't I just sit on someone's lap." I politely said no and reiterated getting an XL. She asked me to cancel and I told her that she needed to do it. She had no idea how to do it on her phone and even asked 2 of her friends to figure it out. Neither of them could figure it out so they gave me the phone. I quickly hit the cancel button, saw the alert about the fee (as it had now been longer than 5 minutes since I arrived), smiled to myself and hit ok. "Have a nice night!"

·
Premium Member
4,826 Posts
Just happened to me this morning, young woman shows up with to toddler. I made sure my doors were still locked rolled down the window and politely told her "I'm sorry but if you do not have car seats for these two children I won't be able to drive you today." She looked at me and said "don't you have car seats". I kept talking to her for a couple seconds until I heard my five minute timer go off and then I politely said well I need to go and I cancelled her as a rider no show got my money. If she fights it I'll then explain it to UBER.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My wife is saying something about you can have a request for the car seat for 10 extra dollars.
Uber give you a car seat to do stage Drives

Idk. Much more then her sayso...

·
Premium Member
4,826 Posts
More drivers need to cancel on people without car seats. Eventually they'll realize a car seat is cheaper than all the cancel fees.
The problem with having a car seat in an X car is it takes up a seat or room in the trunk. The other thing is the liability since now you own the car seat and most likely will bee asked to put it in the car. I drive 4 passengers and/or carry luggage in my trunk way more then having mother's get into my car with young children. In my area is not really needed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife is saying something about you can have a request for the car seat for 10 extra dollars.
Uber give you a car seat to do stage Drives

Idk. Much more then her sayso...
I thought I heard in some markets you can request an uber with a car seat but maybe it was just the voices in my head making that up.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
More drivers need to cancel on people without car seats. Eventually they'll realize a car seat is cheaper than all the cancel fees.
I could find a car seat easily enough at a garage sale, but then you may need a baby seat, a toddler seat, a booster seat for those just under height and age, etc. Then I would need a Thule Evolution for my roof if anybody had luggage. OH THE HUMANITY!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
I could find a car seat easily enough at a garage sale, but then you may need a baby seat, a toddler seat, a booster seat for those just under height and age, etc. Then I would need a Thule Evolution for my roof if anybody had luggage. OH THE HUMANITY!!!
Intead the Thule may I suggest just change cars to a 5 seater monster truck that way would be very easy for you to carry the whole pacakge. Who cares if you spend more in gas as long as keeping the little munchickens safe and teaching the parents how it's done? Make sure also to avod surge areas otherwise your chances of finding suitable customers will be less. :p

1 - 20 of 35 Posts