Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I drive a 2nd gen prius (2004-2010)

last night I kept getting an alert on my car. it was a low oil notice. Turns out I needed 2 quarts of Oil , which I put this morning. I had a couple rides and I didn't get the notification. so it solved it.

According to the prius forum "Prius is burning oil at rate of 1 quart per 2500 miles driven" last time I did my oil change was about 6 weeks ago... http://priuschat.com/threads/low-oil-red-triangle-w-exclamation-point.81439/

how often do you change your oil? I'm thinking of doing it every 4 weeks. aside from driving a lot of miles, also the amount of time the car is on...also probably best to get synthetic ?

thanks and uber on :)

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
I always change mine every 10K miles. When i got my Prius, it came with free 25K services. In fact, they didn't change the engine oil at 5K and 15K. They only changed at 10K and 20K. So i assumed and been changing the oil every 10K.
I use the Mobil1 0w20 Synthetic engine oil and i do the maintenances myself. With engine oil filter probably cost me less than $35.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Have you changed or replaced anything so far? I'm just curious when should i expect to change the big or small battery.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I always change mine every 10K miles. When i got my Prius, it came with free 25K services. In fact, they didn't change the engine oil at 5K and 15K. They only changed at 10K and 20K. So i assumed and been changing the oil every 10K.
I use the Mobil1 0w20 Synthetic engine oil and i do the maintenances myself. With engine oil filter probably cost me less than $35.
That's the same oil I used in my car. I don't have a prius though. It's always on sale at Wal-Mart for around $25. Car feels like it's running a lot smoother

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you changed or replaced anything so far? I'm just curious when should i expect to change the big or small battery.
I haven't had any issues. the only thing was the combination meter . I replaced it myself . dealer wanted $800... I bought the part myself for $150 and thanks to youtube, I replaced it :)

I was told that I would have to replace the struts sometime soon, but that's normal wear and tear

·
Registered
123 Posts
I haven't had any issues. the only thing was the combination meter . I replaced it myself . dealer wanted $800... I bought the part myself for $150 and thanks to youtube, I replaced it :)

I was told that I would have to replace the struts sometime soon, but that's normal wear and tear
Hey Irod1887,

Sounds like you're handy enough to do the basic maintenance, but I believe there's also the "Momentum" program where you unlock discounted services, including maintenance, by completing x # of trips a month. I assume you already know about it, but just in case :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts