Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently added my wife's car to Uber because she needed my Jeep to take my daughter back to college and I wanted to drive over the weekend. Changed it in the app and away I went. Fast forward to yesterday I have my Jeep back and turn on the app. Before I realized I hadn't switched my settings back to the Jeep I had picked up and delivered 3 separate groups of PAX. Nobody said or reported a thing. BTW my wife drives a Toyota Corolla and my Jeep is a Grand Cherokee!

Side note I liked the gas mileage on the Toyota but I didn't like the close quarters with the PAX compared to the Jeep.

·
Banned
8,571 Posts
I actually take note of the make/model and license of the car.

But than again from reading posts on here I find I’m an unicorn.

·
Registered
15,008 Posts
So I recently added my wife's car to Uber because she needed my Jeep to take my daughter back to college and I wanted to drive over the weekend. Changed it in the app and away I went. Fast forward to yesterday I have my Jeep back and turn on the app. Before I realized I hadn't switched my settings back to the Jeep I had picked up and delivered 3 separate groups of PAX. Nobody said or reported a thing. BTW my wife drives a Toyota Corolla and my Jeep is a Grand Cherokee!

Side note I liked the gas mileage on the Toyota but I didn't like the close quarters with the PAX compared to the Jeep.
I once had a lady freak out when she realized she was supposed to be in a civic, instead I picked her up in my SUV.

After she said "I was supposed to get in a civic" in a nervous voice,
I explained to her that I have two vehicles and forgot to change it.

She was quiet for about a minute then asked
"What's your name?"

At that point I knew she was pretty nervous so I turned around so she could see my face (she was sitting directly behind me).

I was expecting a bad rating, but surprisingly didn't get one

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
At that point I knew she was pretty nervous so I turned around do agree could see my face (she was sitting directly behind me).
" Don't worry ma'am. You're perfectly safe. It is just you, me and my dark passenger."
*cue "Tonight's the Night" theme on the stereo*

That's how I imagine it went down in my head anyway...

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I have veteran plates, so in app it says va then plate number, but in actuality there is no va on plate just branch crest. I have numerous people almost cancel because they think it’s the wrong car.

·
Super Moderator
6,001 Posts
2018 Grand Cherokee MSRP = from $30,895
2018 Corolla MSRP = from 18,700
Blue Book trade in value for 8 year old base level Grand Cherokee w/100k miles, in 'good' condition = $5947
Blue Book trade in value for similar level Corolla = $3715

So the Cherokee's value fell by $24,948, while the Corolla fell by $14,985, with the same amount of time/driving.

Obviously these numbers are only estimates, but it gives us an idea of the long term cost difference, between driving a Cherokee over a Corolla (not to mention the gas difference).

Now if someone's driving the Cherokee for themselves, then that's their choice how they spend their money, but if they're using it to ferry pax around, they're basically spending that cost difference on the pax.

·
Registered
15,008 Posts
Blue Book trade in value for 8 year old base level Grand Cherokee w/100k miles, in 'good' condition = $5947

So the Cherokee's value fell by $24,948, while the Corolla fell by $14,985, with the same amount of time/driving.

Obviously these numbers are only estimates, but it gives us an idea of the long term cost difference, between driving a Cherokee over a Corolla (not to mention the gas difference).

Now if someone's driving the Cherokee for themselves, then that's their choice how they spend their money, but if they're using it to ferry pax around, they're basically spending that cost difference on the pax.
He wasn't referring to the cost of the vehicle when he said that car doesn't matter. o_O

It doesn't matter because pax didn't notice that It was the wrong car

·
Super Moderator
6,001 Posts
He wasn't referring to the cost of the vehicle when he said that car doesn't matter. o_O

I understood that, I was just making a side point about the potential cost difference.

BTW if anything had happened in the scenarios you both mentioned, I'm not sure Ubers' insurance would cover it, so it could make a difference.

·
Registered
15,008 Posts
I understood that, I was just making a side point about the potential cost difference.

BTW if anything had happened in the scenarios you both mentioned, I'm not sure Ubers' insurance would cover it, so it could make a difference.
Possibly.
But it is an approved car with Uber.
So you can argue that the app screwed up.

·
Super Moderator
6,001 Posts
Possibly.
But it is an approved car with Uber.
So you can argue that the app screwed up.
If you forgot to switch vehicles, then I imagine they'd deem that your fault. The fact that one vehicle is approved, doesn't mean anything if you went online with a different one. You're also approved to drive, but I can't send you to do a ride that I accepted on my account.

·
Registered
15,008 Posts
If you forgot to switch vehicles, then I imagine they'd deem that your fault. The fact that one vehicle is approved, doesn't mean anything if you went online with a different one. You're also approved to drive, but I can't send you to do a ride that I accepted on my account.
Your example is totally different.
That is never allowed.

I am allowed to drive both vehicles whenever I want. I can even switch back and forth several times in one day if I wanted to.

Now I'm not saying I know for sure what Uber would do if I got into an accident and was logged on using the wrong car.
But it is an approved and insured car.

at least I can argue and say I switched vehicles and it's not my fault the app didn't apply the change.

Arguing that you let me drive on your account will get laughs

I doubt they want the bad press that they're not covering their driver or rider because of an app glitch

·
Super Moderator
6,001 Posts
Your example is totally different.
That is never allowed.

I am allowed to drive both vehicles whenever I want. I can even switch back and forth several times in one day if I wanted to.

Now I'm not saying I know for sure what Uber would do if I got into an accident and was logged on using the wrong car.
But it is an approved and insured car.

at least I can argue and say I switched vehicles and it's not my fault the app didn't apply the change.

Arguing that you let me drive on your account will get laughs
I don't know, we had a related discussion on the NJ forum a bit ago, and everyone seemed to think it was obvious it wouldn't be covered: https://uberpeople.net/threads/switching-vehicles-after-ride-accepted.256918/

Personally, I wouldn't risk it, and if I accepted by accident in the wrong car, I'd cancel the ride. Insurance issues aren't worth risking for that, and I don't think they'd accept the argument about an app glitch.

IMHO the OP got lucky that they weren't reported, and if they had been, they would have been in trouble.

·
Registered
15,008 Posts
I don't know, we had a related discussion on the NJ forum a bit ago, and everyone seemed to think it was obvious it wouldn't be covered: https://uberpeople.net/threads/switching-vehicles-after-ride-accepted.256918/

Personally, I wouldn't risk it, and if I accepted by accident in the wrong car, I'd cancel the ride. Insurance issues aren't worth risking for that, and I don't think they'd accept the argument about an app glitch.

IMHO the OP got lucky that they weren't reported, and if they had been, they would have been in trouble.
Well I'm not suggesting one should risk it. The guy in the thread you listed is not very smart if he's doing it intentionally.

I'm just saying because it does happen. It's happened to me more than once and happens very easily.

I really believe that if you stuck to your story that you selected that vehicle before going online, they would end up covering.

But hopefully I never have to find out.

·
Super Moderator
6,001 Posts
Well I'm not suggesting one should risk it. The guy in the thread you listed is not very smart if he's doing it intentionally.
I didn't think you, he, or the OP, were suggesting doing it intentionally. Still, even after the fact (or rather during the fact), if I noticed before the ride, I'd cancel it. If it's completely after the fact, and nobody noticed, then what's done is done. Still, no offence to the OP, but the title 'Car doesn't matter' is slightly misleading. If I farted with a pax in the car, and they didn't smell it, I still wouldn't say farting doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Thanks Cableguynoe you are correct.

Neither was bought new far below the prices you noted. And yes I drive the Jeep because I live in Minnesota SUVs are needed.

·
Super Moderator
6,001 Posts
Neither was bought new far below the prices you noted. And yes I drive the Jeep because I live in Minnesota SUVs are needed.
Good point about the cars. My comment wasn't directed at your personal vehicle situation, just a general point I wanted to make. Sorry if I went off topic to make it.

Thanks Cableguynoe you are correct.
Like I said above. That doesn't mean it doesn't matter. It just means that nothing happened, and either nobody happened to report it, or nobody cared. Had something happened, or had they reported it, you could have been in trouble.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts