Uber Drivers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread may upset some people but that's not my intention.

I recently cancelled on a rider immediately after I saw that she was wearing a full niqab. I couldn't even see her eyes and she was carrying a fairly large handbag.

I have no problem with people practicing their religion but I honestly feared for my safety. The thought running throughy head was that maybe she was going to sacrifice me or carry out an attack. Who knows what could have been in the bag or under her tablecloth? The other thought was that she might complain to Uber if I don't pick her up and they could close my account for discrimination.

This is a real dilemma for me. What am I supposed to do? Follow my instinct and cancel or risk my life to avoid being called a racist and potentially losing my job with Uber.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Take a look in your local newspaper. I'm willing to guess most crimes in your area are not by those who practice islam or wear a niqab. Yet you're probably not denying trips based on the race, religion or ethnicity of those who commit the most crimes.

You've been programmed to be suspicious of this demographic because the media and politicians have a sustained fear mongering campaign to paint this group of people as being extremists.

Treat everyone with respect, unless they disrespect you. It's a lousy feeling to be denied a ride because you were just religiously profiled.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I recently cancelled on a rider immediately after I saw that she was wearing a full niqab. I couldn't even see her eyes and she was carrying a fairly large handbag.

I have no problem with people practicing their religion but I honestly feared for my safety. The thought running throughy head was that maybe she was going to sacrifice me or carry out an attack. Who knows what could have been in the bag or under her tablecloth? The other thought was that she might complain to Uber if I don't pick her up and they could close my account for discrimination.

This is a real dilemma for me. What am I supposed to do? Follow my instinct and cancel or risk my life to avoid being called a racist and potentially losing my job with Uber.
I'm curious to know how you cancelled, what you said to the pax...

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
The vast majority of Islamic people are not terrorists.

And many Islamic terrorists choose to blend in rather than dress discernibly Islamic.

A lot of people also mistake other religions for Islam.

I personally think you are being a bit irrational to be that afraid.

I would suggest that you could also carry a self-defense weapon, but since you live in Australia that does not seem to be an option.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

Hundreds of thousands Americans are killed each year (by other Americans. Drunk drivers, hospital infections, second hand smoke....etc.) because of all sorts of goofy stuff and you're worried about ONE gal?

You better stay locked away in your house if you're so scared of life.

In the U.S. , we've managed to scare ourselves to the point we'll go to war and spend trillions because nobody looks at the big picture. The odds of being killed by a terrorist is practically zero. Yet, here we are. Pissing down our leg.

·
Registered
377 Posts

You are in the wrong buisness

·
25,827 Posts
I do not know the law in Australia, but here the law has prohibited discrimination based on race, color, creed or national origin for some time. In fact, it is one of the few regulations to which even Uber is subject.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts

:mad:

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I also sometimes have immodest women in my uber. I always try to ask what their boyfriend or husbands think about their decisions . Don't be afraid to stand up for your beliefs!

I bought a kit that I keep in the trunk . It lets me cover their faces so as to emergency modest.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow. How racist can you get? This is unfair discrimination. This is laughable, you should not be in this business at all. I can't believe you would discriminate like that.
Sorry that you are offended but I don't feel comfortable picking up someone who endorses the killing of LGBT people. If not wanting to have someone like that in my car makes me racist then so be it. I'm not going to risk getting slaughtered for political correctness. From now on if the rider has an islamic sounding name i will just cancel before I get there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry that you are offended but I don't feel comfortable picking up someone who endorses the killing of LGBT people. If not wanting to have someone like that in my car makes me racist then so be it. I'm not going to risk getting slaughtered for political correctness. From now on if the rider has an islamic sounding name i will just cancel before I get there.
Are you implying that Muslims endorse the killing of LGBTQ people?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.