Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DENNIS REINHART

Jul 2, 00:34 PDT

I am new to goober I accepted the Fair on July 2nd at approximately 1:20 a.m. I was 18 miles away which I thought was completely strange but I drove over there in a timely manner at arrived at approximately 2 a.m. the fair cancelled the moment I pulled up in front of the house at least 18 minutes had gone by my understanding is that the fair cannot cancel after 5 minutes. I drove over 18 miles there to have this person cancell at the very last minute should I not expect to be paid for this and how do you follow complaint .

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Email them. It's happened to me, too, and they said that even though I got their in the timeframe the ping gives, they wouldn't give me the money for the pax's cancellation. Pax probably used Uber and Lyft apps at the same time and played the "whoever can get to me first" game. I actually called that pax before I bothered because it was 14 minutes and away and he swore he wanted me to drive him. This is the way a large portion of the general public is.

The only solution is to avoid long trips like that. Cherry pick, wait for close pings, and dump and cancel any pax that may pose a potential issue for you before you commit to doing their bidding. Uber created this demented, unhealthy dynamic, and the passengers don't know any better or care.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like forums as long as people realize it as a newbie you're going to ask redundant questions and a lot of people get frustrated with that that's what the forms for us to help people learn so in my case I'm looking at the advice the gentleman just gave a bath now if you except the fair then you're locked into it and if you try to close it out does that not go against your driving record as not excepting affair also if you're online and affair pops up if you do not accept it does that go down as not excepting the fair I hope this is not too confusing

·
Registered
268 Posts
18 miles is an extremely long way to go for a pickup. Remember, you only start getting paid once you pick a passenger up. So the gas for those first 18 miles is coming out of your pocket. Not to mention your time, which looks like it took you 40 minutes to get there (egads!). Also, as you found out, the longer the pickup time is the longer opportunity a pax has to cancel.

Every city is a bit different but my general rule of thumb is don't accept a ping over 10 minutes away. You can choose to ignore pings without much consequence. You can cancel after accepting a ride for whatever reason you deem fit, however cancellation rate is monitored and a driver can get deactivated for canceling too much. A good rule of thumb is you can cancel once every 10 trips. If you keep your cancelation rate around that level you'll be fine

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
18 miles for a pickup? You just got your first lesson in why we don't accept too many unprofitable trips. You drove about 40 minutes one way for nothing. Unless that was in the direction of your house then you have at least that much driving for free just to get back to start. That's a whole lotta wear and tear, gas, and miles you just put on your car for free and even if they did bother to give you the cancellation fee its only $5. That isn't covering your cost. Let this be a lesson. More than 8 minutes away? Ignore.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am fighting was over now about this very thing

Fortunately this time I took screenshots. I have screenshots of where I was and where I was going to for the pickup. I also have a screenshot of my texting the rider to let them know the route it was taking to get there.

I had just gotten on an interstate when I got the request for the ride. I could not turn around on the interstate I had to go to the next exit and come back around the longer way to get to the rider.

I texted this to the Rider and the rider said okay. Then they cancelled the ride when I was just a few yards away from their door.

The rider cancelled saying that I was late in getting there. Uber is backing them up saying I did not get there and the estimated time.

I would think that because I was on an interstate when I accepted the ride the ride would be recalculated and the estimated time would change.

I think what is happening is that no one is researching what I am saying. One cs rep is backing up the other.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who is mad over since I got a response from Uber today and it got his name on it is he somebody that works for Uber and hangs around here and reports on people that bad mouth Uber.

content://media/external/file/20353

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a ride request a few weeks ago that was just under 15 minutes from where I was located. The rider cancelled and requested 4 times while I was in route for pickup. Just as I was pulling up to the location the rider cancelled again. By this time I'm irritated and decided to no be bothered. The rider requested again. I accept the request so I could call the rider to see what the issue was and make sure it wasn't a problem with the app. When the answered I ask were they were having issues with the app, they responded no and the person who wanted the Uber was drunk. The person who answered the phone begged me to come pick them up. Being the nice person I am, I went to pick the them up. Their destination was just short of 10 minutes away.
I emailed Uber requesting that the rider should be charged for at least one of the cancellation fees. The rider admitted they were drunk and basically playing on the phone. It was almost 5 a.m. , I was in an area I wasn't too familiar with and going through the back and forth of someone drunk requesting and cancelling for aUber should require some kind of fare adjustment, right? The Uber Robots DID NOT feel the rider should be charged for cancelling ... Is that fair?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree about pronunciation I apologize, who in the F is Mad Uber, since his name was from Uber response see screen shot. and he posts here is he a mole for Ubar. They have the time I accepted and the time they canceled 15m min later. Now as I said once you accept you are penis sized for cancelling great company. I am retired 20 year gulf war veteran, no I do not spell check soooooo, excuuuuuuuse me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had a ride request a few weeks ago that was just under 15 minutes from where I was located. The rider cancelled and requested 4 times while I was in route for pickup. Just as I was pulling up to the location the rider cancelled again. By this time I'm irritated and decided to no be bothered. The rider requested again. I accept the request so I could call the rider to see what the issue was and make sure it wasn't a problem with the app. When the answered I ask were they were having issues with the app, they responded no and the person who wanted the Uber was drunk. The person who answered the phone begged me to come pick them up. Being the nice person I am, I went to pick the them up. Their destination was just short of 10 minutes away.
I emailed Uber requesting that the rider should be charged for at least one of the cancellation fees. The rider admitted they were drunk and basically playing on the phone. It was almost 5 a.m. , I was in an area I wasn't too familiar with and going through the back and forth of someone drunk requesting and cancelling for aUber should require some kind of fare adjustment, right? The Uber Robots DID NOT feel the rider should be charged for cancelling ... Is that fair?
If a pax cancels on me twice, that's it I'm done with them. I will go offline for a couple of minutes so not to get a third ping.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Yeah, why did you keep going back into THAT mess? One cancel? Fine. Could have been an accident. Two cancels? I don't know if their screwing with me or their having technical issues but either way I don't have time for that. Anything after that they are either having serious phone/app issues that could cause me not to get paid for the trip OR they're just screwing with the obviously desperate chump whose out driving people around for pennies.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I agree about pronunciation I apologize, who in the F is Mad Uber, since his name was from Uber response see screen shot. and he posts here is he a mole for Ubar. They have the time I accepted and the time they canceled 15m min later. Now as I said once you accept you are penis sized for cancelling great company. I am retired 20 year gulf war veteran, no I do not spell check soooooo, excuuuuuuuse me.
Are you referring to me? I'm a driver from Madison, Wisconsin dude. Hence, MadUber

1 - 16 of 16 Posts