Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody do that?
I mean, sometimes the app says I've accepted the delivery, but I actually hit no thanks. Or I was doing something else with my phone having nothing to do with UberEats, or I just touched my phone to see where the delivery was. Or maybe I didn't think I had touched the phone at all and then I have directions to go someplace.
Anyway, a lot of the time when you are deciding if you want to accept a delivery, you are driving. If you've accepted by accident, then you have to cancel. Then you have to say why you cancelled. There is no option that says I hit accept by accident. Most of the time I feel obligated to pull over and type out what happened.
Other times when I cancel I find something else that seems close enough so that I can just keep driving, like the delivery is too far away, when the restaurant really isn't that far away but maybe I expect to be sent to deliver it somewhere far enough away or in the wrong direction to be very inconvenient. Or, I've accepted a delivery, but by the time the app tells me where to go I've passing an intersection I was supposed to turn or I'm going in the wrong direction and it really is a hassle to get back to where I am supposed to be. Too far away might not be accurate, but it seems close enough to hit that and just keep driving.
Anyway, I have never hit I don't want to do delivery. That sounds rather silly. Like, I wouldn't be out if I didn't want to do some deliveries. I wonder if there is a limit to how many times that can be selected before you get some kind of warning message.
Okay, so does everybody just hit that and they don't care, or do you try to pick something that sounds better or stop nearby and type out something else?

· Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, you accept an order, find out it is for McDs, go there and it is just drinks? And you say I don't want to do delivery and leave?
And no one does anything with this information and you get sent to McDs again the next day and it is still for just drinks?

I don't understand the point of stuff like this in the app if no one is reading the answers/doing anything with the information.

· Premium Member
499 Posts
So, you accept an order, find out it is for McDs, go there and it is just drinks? And you say I don't want to do delivery and leave?
You find out what the order contains after you hit accept. No need to drive there. I always peep the order as I'm driving to the location. One time for a different app, I was at home waiting for my first ping. It was to the liquor store around the corner of my house. The order was for 4 large bags of ice. Very short delivery distance too. I was like nope, not carrying those bags of ice from the store to my trunk and then to the customer's door. I didn't like this liquor store either, they are rude there. Canceled that right away.

· Registered
83 Posts
At least once a week.

Some accepted when I hit no thanks. Any McDs over 5 mins away. And any 5 Guys during lunch time or 5 Guys anytime with more than 4 items on the order. My cancels are only shown from my last 10 trips and I have had it at 50% before.

I have heard (no evidence to back this up) that since driver/partners are independent contractors and not being paid until a delivery/passenger is on your car. You can't be penalized if you cancel before that. Canceling once you have picked up is a different story.

· Registered
95 Posts
I have noticed that Uber Eats can be sneaky. Today on a delivery right before drop off I got a ping and accepted it. I noticed it was a McDonald's order and tried to cancel it. But instead of the normal cancel screen I saw the screen that appears after a pick-up - the one that has options saying "Order has wrong items" and stuff like that. It wasn't the screen that offers the "I Don't Want to Do Delivery" option. So I sort of had no choice but to complete the McD's order. Very sneaky, Uber Eats!

· Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are sneaky AF about slipping in an Eats order on my drives. Sometimes I'm like ok, ok I'll take it. Sometimes I hit cancel. Depends on my mood, like if I want to stretch my legs or stay in the car.
Well, UberEats is the perfect balance of sitting down and getting up to stretch my legs, I can say that for it.

· Registered
600 Posts
I cancel before picking up several times a day. Have been doing it this way for 10 months now. If I get a better offer from another app like Doordash with $8-$10 guarantee I will cancel the UberEats right away. If I don't like the restaurant or distance to the restaurant, cancel. As long as it's before picking up it doesn't matter.

· Premium Member
277 Posts
Does anybody do that?
I mean, sometimes the app says I've accepted the delivery, but I actually hit no thanks. Or I was doing something else with my phone having nothing to do with UberEats, or I just touched my phone to see where the delivery was. Or maybe I didn't think I had touched the phone at all and then I have directions to go someplace.
A couple times I have written in the box 'did not accept' as my reason when I haven't actually hit the accept button, although typically it's for a remote McDonald's order anyway so I can say it's too far. I have to wonder if typing anything in the box instead of one of the buttons just draws more attention to your cancellation. If the person reading it is from the same group you have to deal with on order phone support, he probably won't understand your English response anyway, no matter how basic. Careful when on other apps and the top window overlay changes from 'click here return to uber' to 'click here to accept' when a ping comes in. Also I wonder if clicking certain side buttons may accept you, like my recently disabled Bixby button. Lately I've had quite an upswing in orders I did not, at least intentionally, accept.

I used to avoid canceling like the plague, as it brought up that page asking a reason. Lately, however, I've had to do it every 10 or 20 orders for accidental acceptances. It seems not to affect pings.

· Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A couple times I have written in the box 'did not accept' as my reason when haven't actually hit the accept button, although typically it's for a remote McDonald's order anyway so I can say it's too far. I have to wonder if typing anything in the box instead of one of the buttons just draws more attention to your cancellation. If the person reading it is from the same group you have to deal with on order phone support, he probably won't understand your English typed response anyway, no matter how basic. Careful when on other apps and the top window overlay changes from 'click here return to uber' to 'click here to accept' when a ping comes in. Also I wonder if clicking certain side buttons may accept you, like my recently disabled Bixby button. Lately I've had quite an upswing in orders I did not, at least intentionally, accept.

I used to avoid canceling like the plague, as it brought up that page asking a reason. Lately, however, I've had to do it every 10 or 20 orders for accidental acceptances. It seems not to affect pings.
Apparently no one read the time I typed in that my car wouldn't start. I still got paid for the delivery. At the time I thought maybe they were being nice because I never cancelled for anything silly like I just don't want to. Now I'm just thinking they didn't read it or can't understand it.

· Premium Member
499 Posts
Apparently no one read the time I typed in that my car wouldn't start. I still got paid for the delivery. At the time I thought maybe they were being nice because I never cancelled for anything silly like I just don't want to. Now I'm just thinking they didn't read it or can't understand it.
Next time, I'm gonna write in the box, have to clean poop off of my shoes just to see if anybody reads it.

· Registered
1,049 Posts
If the order is late night and the dining room is closed, I cancel any McDonalds orders when the drive thru is deep. Here in the south in can take 30-40 minutes, late night, good luck getting your happy meal delivered by me.

· Premium Member
11,203 Posts
But there is an option for long wait, so wouldn't you choose that instead of I just don't want to?
I don't even drive to the places I've had issues with. I just cancel the order as soon as the name pops up. One Denny's location is on my no go to list. I just mark as don't want to do delivery.

It's made my days more pleasant. Plus I toggle between various apps.

· Registered
293 Posts
At least once a week.

Some accepted when I hit no thanks. Any McDs over 5 mins away. And any 5 Guys during lunch time or 5 Guys anytime with more than 4 items on the order. My cancels are only shown from my last 10 trips and I have had it at 50% before.

I have heard (no evidence to back this up) that since driver/partners are independent contractors and not being paid until a delivery/passenger is on your car. You can't be penalized if you cancel before that. Canceling once you have picked up is a different story.
Sounds good to me! Technically, our paying trip doesn't begin until you swipe the "Start Trip" button. Driving to the restaurant is the same as driving away after the food has been delivered. NOT PAID! And since I'm not being paid to drive to the restaurant, or wait, I cancel in a heartbeat! Can't penalize me for something you're not paying me for. That's MY time.

· Registered
293 Posts
People are starting to realize that drivers are not actual employees of Uber and we do what we feel is best for our own business, which this is. More and more customers are coming out of their houses and walking to my car door to get their food, some even with tips in hand. With these low UE payouts, that's how it should be for ALL deliveries!

· Registered
83 Posts
New app arrived for me today. I see ratings and even a breakdown of my last 100 thumb ratings from customers and merchants. But I can't find anywhere that mentions cancel or acceptance rates.

Did they hide it? Or did they figure out their scare tactics aren't getting anyone to accept a 20 min + ping or keeping us from canceling most McDs orders, lol.

· Premium Member
499 Posts
New app arrived for me today. I see ratings and even a breakdown of my last 100 thumb ratings from customers and merchants. But I can't find anywhere that mentions cancel or acceptance rates.

Did they hide it? Or did they figure out their scare tactics aren't getting anyone to accept a 20 min + ping or keeping us from canceling most McDs orders, lol.
Go to the uber partners portal online on your pc or phone browser to see the cancel and acceptance ratings.

I haven't worked this week. Low boost.

Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Number

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.