Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been dabbling for a month now. Between a saturation of Uber drivers in my area and the low cost per mile, I don't see how you can make any real money doing this. Rides seem to be 7- 10 - 15 miles tops. Trying to the next ride is pretty bad with all the drivers. Lots of dead miles. Not sure this works.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any real money? Well, that's subjective. But with a decent business model and low expenses, you can make some extra cash.
I'd love to hear more. The business model is similar for everyone. What Uber oats is what they pay. So is that lots of hours? Don't burn gas unless you're driving a PAX? Don't drive more than 10 minutes to pick up a PAX? I am genuinely curious

·
Premium Member
9,864 Posts
In a word, Yes. Albeit a negative #.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I'd love to hear more. The business model is similar for everyone.
No - each driver has to develop their own business model. There are SO many variables - Market: demand/saturation, rate, risk. Vehicle: Cost (acquisition, taxes, insurance), Reliability, Maintenance (mechanical and aesthetic), desireability. When you want to work, how much you want to work, where you want to work. It's all part of your business model. For instance, where NYC is saturated, you don't want to go in with a $40,000 Town Car that only qualifies for UberX. A Prius in college town may fare better. Everything is a factor.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I'd love to hear more. The business model is similar for everyone. What Uber oats is what they pay. So is that lots of hours? Don't burn gas unless you're driving a PAX? Don't drive more than 10 minutes to pick up a PAX? I am genuinely curious
Business model is hours driven, days, location (city, neighborhood, side of town), Uber level, etc. All these things vary widely among drivers.

Expenses (gas, dead miles, value of car, phone/plan, etc.) are also part of the business model, but I mentioned them separately because they seem to be the most overlooked part of being profitable.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I told my wife if I can make $100 a night, I want to try it once a week. I came close at $97 my first night out, and learned a lot to perhaps go over that next time.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
12 trips, 8 hours. Again, not exactly big money, but I also consider it on the job training.

Reactions: UBER-FLINT-DRIVER

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
to answer the topic, of course it all depends on your pay per mile
I get $1.52, but folks in atlanta and Dallas are getting paid well under a dollar per mile (not to mention some 10cents per minute) so i really cant see how you can make any money at those rates

·
Registered
373 Posts
Driving for Uber or Lyft, I think ride-sharing is only good as a part-time job because of its flexibility. When you calculate your wage per hour, you need to factor in the flexibility. Everyone values this flexibility differently, and I don't know how we can put the dollar value for it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Driving for Uber or Lyft, I think ride-sharing is only good as a part-time job because of its flexibility. When you calculate your wage per hour, you need to factor in the flexibility. Everyone values this flexibility differently, and I don't know how we can put the dollar value for it.
It's not ridesharing

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I get $1.52, but folks in atlanta and Dallas are getting paid well under a dollar per mile (not to mention some 10cents per minute) so i really cant see how you can make any money at those rates
Every time I head out it's under $1 a mile. There's not a profitable way to make money in the Detroit market at these rates and are higher than normal gas prices. We have a refinery issue so gas is $2.70 if you're lucky. If you factor in all the costs to run an "Urber business" I can't find a way to turn a profit. If you want to disregard the miles, car maintenance, etc. then you can pretend you're making money. You would need to run back to back rides all in a condensed area to turn a little profit. Not possibles in a sprawled out city like Metro Detroit.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
We get 0.95 per mile, and 18 cents per minute, but I'm still profitable (in real money -- not on the tax form, of course).

And, again, it's not a large profit margin. But it's just enough to keep going.

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
We get 0.95 per mile, and 18 cents per minute, but I'm still profitable (in real money -- not on the tax form, of course).
I'm going to repeat what I said in the other post,because people need to know its not profitable under $1.00/mile

"
Okay lets go with 30cents/mile is your expenses. You get paid 95cents/mile. Less uber cut that's 76cents per mile. Less your expenses, you are now making 46cents a mile. Now, this doesnt even include how much money you are losing when you go to sell your car............

BUT

to make $350/week, you have to drive over 700miles. And that's PAID miles. Normally, people will have 1:1 ratio or more of paid to dead miles. There's simply no way to not have dead miles when doing uber. So each week you are putting 1,400miles on your car, just to make 350 profit!! Lets do more math. If you bought a brand new car for 40K, to make 350 a week you'd have over 65,000 miles on it in one year!!! How much money do you think you could get vs how much u paid after that?

Unless you got a free car, driving for less than $1.0/mile is simply not worth it."

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a question, mind you I haven't started yet as my background check is processing... I live in the Pensacola area, it's $1.80 per mile. There's a big nightlife scene as well as a TON of vacationers that come down here. I don't plan on "driving" around at all... "Downtown" is about 15 min from my house, I plan on parking there and doing it like that. The beach area where people go out is only 10 min from my house. Mind you, I have a Dodge Journey, black, professional looking. But gas wise I get around 20mpg. I'm hoping I'm able to make something part time. My plan is to go out a few week nights then Friday nights also.

Seem worth it for me?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a question, mind you I haven't started yet as my background check is processing... I live in the Pensacola area, it's $1.80 per mile. There's a big nightlife scene as well as a TON of vacationers that come down here. I don't plan on "driving" around at all... "Downtown" is about 15 min from my house, I plan on parking there and doing it like that. The beach area where people go out is only 10 min from my house. Mind you, I have a Dodge Journey, black, professional looking. But gas wise I get around 20mpg. I'm hoping I'm able to make something part time. My plan is to go out a few week nights then Friday nights also.

Seem worth it for me?
You get $1.80 per mile in Pensacola?...seriously?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah... That's good from what I hear? Haven't got to start yet... I know some friends and I have taken the Uber from the beach to my house in the past and it's usually $30 something, it's a 15 min ride.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts