Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I travel back and forth between two states and already have a full time job, what I'm requesting is if it's permissible to drive for uber or lyft in two different states so long that I'm legally licensed?

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
what 2 states? same car or two different cars? do you have drivers license in two states?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two different cars.

no idea what you're talking about uber doober .. I thought it was a pretty straight forward question

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Hi Jesennia. I'm from Honolulu as well, now living in SoCal. Also lived in Phoenix prior to moving to SoCal.

So are you driving 1 car in HI and the other in AZ? That would give you 2 separate Vehicle Profiles in Uber. So I would not think there would be a problem driving in 2 different states? Have you sent an email to Uber support on this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same question. And I think he means something like this.
If I live in New Jersey 30 minutes away from New York...Can I drive in New Jersey and in New York? One car, my car.
I don't live in any of those cities but I'm relocating.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Only Uber support can tell you for sure. I'm going to guess no as HI and AZ aren't connecting states. A general rule of Uber is that you have to have a valid license in the state you are driving in, so if you had a DL in both stats you probably could. I think they'd say negatory to the state you are not licensed in though.

I drive in 2 states, OR and WA. I am in OR, and the Portland metro area also includes Vancouver, WA. The rules of whichever state I pick up in apply for the ride, even if it crosses state lines. If I pick you up in OR, then we're under OR rules for Uber/ridesharing while we're in WA. Once I drop you off in WA then the app boots me out and I have to go back onto it and it loads WA rules. If I'm dead heading back to OR from WA the app shuts off as I'm crossing the bridge so that I have to reload it in OR. However, while I can drive in Vancouver, WA (actually all of Clark County, WA) I can't drive up to Seattle and start picking up pax, as Uber says I need to have a WA DL to do that. I can pick you up in Portland or Vancouver, drive you to Seattle, but then the app will tell me to get lost if I attempt to go online there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No I don't believe it's possible. Asked many times and gotten various answers from uber.

You are not allowed to have drivers licenses in multiple states

·
Registered
17,830 Posts
How do you know it was an OR Uber? Did you get out and ask to see the DL? If you're going by the car plate, that doesn't have to be registered in the state, it just has to pass inspection and have insurance in the driver's name.
Which is exactly some of the BS we in the "regulate it" camp are fighting to change.
Here in Charlotte I've seen SC, GA, even VA plates doing TNC.
Now that the TNC bill passed here, gonna be a lot of expensive tickets and Impounds here in Charlotte soon.
Uber anywhere you want, just know the local laws first, and be ready for the consequences :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Which is exactly some of the BS we in the "regulate it" camp are fighting to change.
Now that the TNC bill passed here, gonna be a lot of expensive tickets and Impounds here in Charlotte soon.
Uber anywhere you want, just know the local laws first, and be ready for the consequences :)
Have you seen the guy from Jersey driving here? Must just have a NJ plate with a NC license?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live and drive Uber in MD. My insurance policy is for MD...HOWEVER my car is registered in PA and I am licensed in PA. The only requirement is that the person be insured in the state that they drive. Being that you are in NC there are a lot of military bases there, what you are seeing very well could be military members. It doesn't mean that Uber drivers from other markets are driving there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only Uber support can tell you for sure. I'm going to guess no as HI and AZ aren't connecting states. A general rule of Uber is that you have to have a valid license in the state you are driving in, so if you had a DL in both stats you probably could. I think they'd say negatory to the state you are not licensed in though.

I drive in 2 states, OR and WA. I am in OR, and the Portland metro area also includes Vancouver, WA. The rules of whichever state I pick up in apply for the ride, even if it crosses state lines. If I pick you up in OR, then we're under OR rules for Uber/ridesharing while we're in WA. Once I drop you off in WA then the app boots me out and I have to go back onto it and it loads WA rules. If I'm dead heading back to OR from WA the app shuts off as I'm crossing the bridge so that I have to reload it in OR. However, while I can drive in Vancouver, WA (actually all of Clark County, WA) I can't drive up to Seattle and start picking up pax, as Uber says I need to have a WA DL to do that. I can pick you up in Portland or Vancouver, drive you to Seattle, but then the app will tell me to get lost if I attempt to go online there.
Interesting. You see I live in Boston, and we have TONS of transplants here. As military personnel, I've long had my WA state drivers license and had no problem registering to drive in the Boston market. There's no way I'm the only one in Boston driving Uber with an out of state license. We have over 100k out of state students here, and plenty of them drive.

My registration and insurance was always in MA. Recently, I've converted my license to MA, but only because it was expiring anyway. So I dont know if this "general" rule is a rule at all. And I'm not sure what implications it has (or doesn't have) for driving in multiple states. Speaking of out of state students, I would wonder if they can drive while back home for the holidays (in different markets).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live and drive Uber in MD. My insurance policy is for MD...HOWEVER my car is registered in PA and I am licensed in PA. The only requirement is that the person be insured in the state that they drive. Being that you are in NC there are a lot of military bases there, what you are seeing very well could be military members. It doesn't mean that Uber drivers from other markets are driving there.
Based on what I've seen, I'm sure you're right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also interested in driving in 2 states. I live in SC but my mom is aging and I may be staying with her for long periods of time while on a leave of absence from my main job. I am hoping to drive Uber while I am there to supplement my income. Any suggestions? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts