Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some drivers use Waze to identify the shortest, longest and in-between routes to their dropoffs. Taking a route other than what Boober recommends can be an effective tactic for more earnings. (The pax pay the same flat, upfront cost, regardless of the time we take & distance we cover.)

However, the City of Seattle insists we not do that:

"You must use the most direct available route on all trips unless the passenger specifically requests to change the route."

(Seattle TNC Standards for customer relations:
https://www.seattle.gov/business-re...ies/tnc-drivers#standardsforcustomerrelations)

I doubt pax will know about this particular legal requirement, but many are savvy enough to recognize when their driver is taking an unnecessarily longer or less-direct route.

1) When pax rate drivers, do pax have an option to complain about having been taken on longer routes?

2) Given the city's requirement above, if a driver chose the longest of 3 Waze navigation options, is that a TOS violation?

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Some drivers use Waze to identify the shortest, longest and in-between routes to their dropoffs. Taking a route other than what Boober recommends can be an effective tactic for more earnings. (The pax pay the same flat, upfront cost, regardless of the time we take & distance we cover.)

However, the City of Seattle insists we not do that:

"You must use the most direct available route on all trips unless the passenger specifically requests to change the route."

(Seattle TNC Standards for customer relations:
https://www.seattle.gov/business-re...ies/tnc-drivers#standardsforcustomerrelations)

I doubt pax will know about this particular legal requirement, but many are savvy enough to recognize when their driver is taking an unnecessarily longer or less-direct route.

1) When pax rate drivers, do pax have an option to complain about having been taken on longer routes?

2) Given the city's requirement above, if a driver chose the longest of 3 Waze navigation options, is that a TOS violation?
Stop worrying about your routing... have you not seen the crap Uber routes these pax on pre-trip in order to maximize the fare?

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
How do you define "most direct route"? Shortest, or fastest? These are not always the same thing. With the constant constructions, these can very as well. Not to mention some routes are more pleasant than others. Would you like to take the shorter routes with the metal plates, potholes, railroad tracks, possible bridge opening, etc., or the smoother route that takes more miles? It's not always a simple equation around here. Since we are paid more on mileage vs. time, my usual strategy is to compare the Uber and Google routes, and take the one that is most advantageous to me. As a native, I know which is which. I figure as long as I take a "standard"route, and the rider feels comfortable because a map app is saying this is a valid way to go, that there is no problem. Now, if I pick up somebody downtown, and they want to go to the airport, and I decide to take I-5 north to 405 before taking it all the way south to 518 and the airport (and yeah, sure that would work), I can see how that might not fly.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Picked up a pax from the Southworth ferry landing this morning going to a dental office in Port Orchard. Uber nav directed me to take the ferry to vashon then back to Southworth before heading 12 miles into town, maybe I should have done it, havn't been to vashon for a couple years. Way to go Uber you nailed that one.

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,541 Posts
I routinely decide to take 405 when I take pax from Redmond to the airport. Even though the app says go 520 to I-5. Been doing it near 2 years, and no hate mail from Uber.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I routinely decide to take 405 when I take pax from Redmond to the airport. Even though the app says go 520 to I-5. Been doing it near 2 years, and no hate mail from Uber.
Why would you get nastygrams from Boober for taking the shorter route (of 405 all the way)? Crossing over either of the bridges *adds* miles to an AP run originating on the eastside.

How do you define "most direct route"?
Simple: It's the route provided by Boober's own nav app.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Never paid attention, because I use Google Maps as soon as I start the trip ,but WTF...why would you take anything but 405 coming out of Redmond? Does it really route you over 520? I mean, I wouldn't mind, but PAX in a hurry to the AP may be like, WTF are you doing?

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,541 Posts
Yep I use Google Maps. Probably time of day but consistently it tries to put me on 520. Then I used Uber nav a couple of times and it tries the same thing. I've never taken 520 unless there's an accident on 405.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Yeah, I can see if there's a major accident or something. I've never had Google Maps guide me that way either though...that just seems insane.

There's an area down here in the south end, where you can either drive through town main roads to the freeway, or hop on 2 freeways to go to AP/Seattle...the freeway option adds like 5-10 miles, and works out to about the same amount of time. I take that, every time. One time I took 2 girls up to Seattle that way and a 4* or less popped up on the Lyft Feedback email with a comment that said "He added money to the ride" LOL

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,541 Posts
Yeah, I can see if there's a major accident or something. I've never had Google Maps guide me that way either though...that just seems insane
I could be remembering it wrong too, as to where I actually was when it does this. I work Bothell/ Kenmore a lot too as well as north Kirkland and possibly it was trying to route me to Bothell Way ( 522?) to I-5. Anyways, I prefer 405 because Google doesn't know I can take the HOV lane so it won't be the 50+ minutes it thinks. I-5 HOV lane is almost worthless north of seattle.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.