Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New PAX user here in NYC. Here is a different beast and dynamic altogether so I'd appreciate relevant insight from mainly NYC area uber drivers. I stumbled upon this forum after having some increasing difficulty with the app in regards to 3 things which will tie into my main point below:

1) My rating (currently 4.53) which is another discussion entirely and:

2) Increasingly getting matched to drivers almost 3-4 minutes away compared to in the past 1-2 minutes, perhaps in part due to #1

3) Uberpool matches being low and Driver's rating me low because I paid the lower pool rate and you couldn't manage to find at least one match heading to a major train station in a busy neighborhood in Queens (right outside of Manhattan for the non NYers) that surely has other poolers because the MTA is perdorming sluggish haphazard construction or repairs on multiple lines and stations mid-day.

My main question is you have a ton of people who live just outside the city commuting in who ordinarily would take a green medallion or local car service if not uber to connect to a main train line efficiently (because the bus is unreliable and only school kids or senior citizens without a place to be at a specific time utilize it here)

So is there a specific complaint from NYC uber drivers regarding short trips given at least 50% of NYers and Tourists, Traveling businessmen will take them in lieu of the slow mid-day public transport, and if so please explain how exactly you aren't benefiting economically from it. I assume that the volume makes up for the short ride. Surely you can get at least 10 rides from 6-9am bare minimum in most parts of queens just doing easy 5-15 minute trips from residential homes to major stations. Is that not the case?

I was always under the impression that short rides were the most profitable but maybe that is for medallion only? What complicated things here is many medallion holders or renters in NYC can also double as Uber/Lyft.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my experience NYC passengers who are in my market for business ALWAYS have super low ratings. I've even commented to them about how surprised I am that they are so nice with a horrible rating.

I think the issue is NYC drivers are salty and give way more 1 star ratings than the rest of the country.
Right but this is a dog eat dog market. So they enter the forum knowing this. There's so much competition but the rider is not to blame for that. The Medallion holders that do Uber are usually the most pleasant. Probably because their pockets are full.

·
Premium Member
73,357 Posts
New PAX user here in NYC. Here is a different beast and dynamic altogether so I'd appreciate relevant insight from mainly NYC area uber drivers. I stumbled upon this forum after having some increasing difficulty with the app in regards to 3 things which will tie into my main point below:

2) Increasingly getting matched to drivers almost 3-4 minutes away compared to in the past 1-2 minutes, perhaps in part due to #1

3) Uberpool matches being low and Driver's rating me low because I paid the lower pool rate and you couldn't manage to find at least one match heading to a major train station in a busy neighborhood in Queens (right outside of Manhattan for the non NYers) that surely has other poolers because the MTA is perdorming sluggish haphazard construction or repairs on multiple lines and stations mid-day.

My main question is you have a ton of people who live just outside the city commuting in who ordinarily would take a green medallion or local car service if not uber to connect to a main train line efficiently (because the bus is unreliable and only school kids or senior citizens without a place to be at a specific time utilize it here)

So is there a specific complaint from NYC uber drivers regarding short trips given at least 50% of NYers and Tourists, Traveling businessmen will take them in lieu of the slow mid-day public transport, and if so please explain how exactly you aren't benefiting economically from it. I assume that the volume makes up for the short ride. Surely you can get at least 10 rides from 6-9am bare minimum in most parts of queens just doing easy 5-15 minute trips from residential homes to major stations. Is that not the case?

I was always under the impression that short rides were the most profitable but maybe that is for medallion only? What complicated things here is many medallion holders or renters in NYC can also double as Uber/Lyft.
Tips work wonders

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Pool rides in congested areas are awful money/time losers for drivers. They are only taken by rookie drivers or vets trying to meet some incentive who may be inclined to loathe you for being (in their minds) a cheapskate who doesnt respect drivers. They also know in advance (something you admitted) that you wont tip because Pool pax almost never tip.

You will wait longer for Pool rides because drivers hate them, and you will wait longer still becuz of your low rating.

Also, I dont know you so you may in fact be a respectful person, but the fact that you are complaining about waiting 3 minutes for a car instead of 2 minutes tells me something about your personality that may rub drivers the wrong way while you are a guest in their cars. Displaying an attitude of feeling entitled, which shows up in a variety of ways in a vehicle, is sure to earn you a bad rating.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Drivers are paid per mile & per minute. Say 90 cents/mile and 10 cents/min. Drivers are paid LESS for pool trips and are paid <$1 for add’l pool pick-ups while Uber receives 3 Full Fares!

Now-imagine you are going 1/2 mile (45 cents) and it takes 4 minutes (40 cents). It took the driver 4 minutes to get to you. You kept him waiting 1 minute before getting in car. That’s 5 minutes he is NOT paid for. And then stopping to let you out. So...that entire 10 minute ride is <$1 to the driver. And then the driver may wait 5 minutes or more for another trip request. Now, Uber has a minimum to pay the driver...say $3.50. That’s BEFORE expenses (car payment, gas, insurance, maintenance, etc.). So maybe your driver makes $8 per hour on short trips.

TIP YOUR POOL DRIVER.

·
Banned
2,772 Posts
That is a separate topic. But I will say that I usually don't tip on straight B line routes where literally they just drive me in a straight line down to the train station. It's virtually no effort or traffic and generally a 3-5 minute ride tops.
Moot point, my friend. Whether going around the block or not, a tip does wonders! Hence your 4.53 rating.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
That is a separate topic. But I will say that I usually don't tip on straight B line routes where literally they just drive me in a straight line down to the train station. It's virtually no effort or traffic and generally a 3-5 minute ride tops.
Short trips are the worst and least profitable. Not tipping on shorties is worse than not tipping on a long trip. Uber could pay drivers more for the min fare, but they wont. Drivers dont know its a shorty till they pick you up so theres no avoiding them short of cherry picking by calling ahead or cancelling after weve already drove to the pick up and waited on the passenger. In short, $1 or $2 tip on your short trips will do wonders for your rating given the sytem Uber has setup.

Edit: your estimate for how many shorties that can be done in a couple hours is way high. You need to account for time driving to the passenger and time we spend waiting. Really shorties are the worst 90%-95% of the time.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Moot point, my friend. Whether going around the block or not, a tip does wonders! Hence your 4.53 rating.
4.53 is undoubtely for his attitude in the car, or for making drivers wait for pickup, or demanding inconvenient dropoff points, waiting at a prohibited curb zone, demanding things with the radio/air/windows, or barking directions, or talking loudly on phone, burying head into phone like an antisocial millenial, or slamming doors and being gruff.

I dont know anyone who rates pax down for not tipping.

I do routinely rate Pool riders down on the rare occasion that I accept one into my car, based merely on the fact they requested Pool, but only when they are clearly cheapskate professionals who enjoy the win-lose scenario of screwing drivers. Blue collar workers and students get a different approach because they cannot afford a better ride.

·
Banned
2,772 Posts
4.53 is undoubtely for his attitude in the car, or for making drivers wait for pickup, or demanding inconvenient dropoff points, waiting at a prohibited curb zone, demanding things with the radio/air/windows, or barking directions, or talking loudly on phone, burying head into phone like an antisocial millenial, or slamming doors and being gruff.

I do routinely rate Pool riders down on the rare occasion that I accept one into my car, but when they are clearly cheapskate professionals rather than blue collar workers or students.
Good point. His comments lend insight as to his personality and attitude.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Two things concern me about your comment, and this isn't a comment to dis you or shame you, i'm just telling you my thoughts based on my experience of driving for rideshare companies :

A) tips are not a separate topic. tips, or the lack there of, are most likely the reason you are rated so low. That will literally make all the difference in the world in your rating. What other variables do drivers use to rate pax? Good pax tip, shitty pax don't.

B) I think you hit on something that most uneducated pax think, which is a belief that a trip could actually be "virtually no effort" for a driver,ESPECIALLY when driving in a huge, highly populated city. Every trip is an effort. For certain passengers, for some reason, there is a belief that driving people through treacherous and unpredictable traffic in a major metropolitan area is an easy thing to do, because good drivers make it appear effortless. I constantly have passengers saying things like "you killed it!" Or "you got us here 10 minutes earlier than the app predicted!" Or "wow - we barely hit any traffic!" The reason I killed it, or got to a destination quickly, or barely hit any traffic, is because I know my city and I'm a good driver and I know all of the secret back routes that will get my passengers to their destinations safely, smoothly and quickly. What other reason do passengers need to give me a tip for Pete's sake? I put effort into every trip so it's the safest, quickest and smoothest ride possible.

Your belief that any rides, including short ones, are "virtually effortless" is where your problems start and once you re-set your thinking to actually comprehend what it takes to do the job well, you'll have a clearer understanding about the issues you originally brought up.

I do routinely rate Pool riders down on the rare occasion that I accept one into my car, based merely on the fact they requested Pool, but only when they are clearly cheapskate professionals who enjoy the win-lose scenario of screwing drivers. Blue collar workers and students get a different approach because they cannot afford a better ride.
Well, now you know a driver that rates pax based on whether they tip or not. Me!

I'm in this shitheel job to make US dollars; I don't really care if someone is on their phone or what they do in my car (as long as they're not being disrespectful) but if they don't tip, they can suck it. I want other drivers to rate passengers the same way - I don't want to pickup pax who don't tip.

Hopefully we can all work together to make he ratings system useful to our shifts so when we see a low rating we know that means the person should be avoided like the plague. I don't care if they give me 5-stars, a "great Conversation!" Badge and 5-star comment about how much fun they had on the ride. That doesn't pay my bills like $$$$ does.

Pool rides in congested areas are awful money/time losers for drivers. They are only taken by rookie drivers or vets trying to meet some incentive who may be inclined to loathe you for being (in their minds) a cheapskate who doesnt respect drivers. They also know in advance (something you admitted) that you wont tip because Pool pax almost never tip.

You will wait longer for Pool rides because drivers hate them, and you will wait longer still becuz of your low rating.

Also, I dont know you so you may in fact be a respectful person, but the fact that you are complaining about waiting 3 minutes for a car instead of 2 minutes tells me something about your personality that may rub drivers the wrong way while you are a guest in their cars. Displaying an attitude of feeling entitled, which shows up in a variety of ways in a vehicle, is sure to earn you a bad rating.
Ding ding ding ding!! You hit he nail on the HEAD! I couldn't have said it better myself - every single point is spot on, up to and including drivers' disdain for pool pax, who are the worst, bottom of the barrel, cheapest, most atrocious pax alive.

TWO THUMBS WAY UP!

·
Premium Member
26,819 Posts
What is the trip? Cross Bay to Liberty/Rockaway to the train there (Rockaway stop)? That would seem an easy trip, although if the payoff rots, I would understand why the driver is not happy.

I do not accept pools, so I have not done an analysis on those trips. In this market, on UberX base rates, I want the short or mediocre trips. I do not want the long o nes, not on base rates.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts

NYC is a special case, it works very differently there.

The driver has to rent a car to do uber in with special plates/insurance or pay a massive amount monthly for insurance.

The first $500-700 PER WEEK (yes per week) goes to the shop who owns/maitains the vehicle. (I looked it up today)

THEN

25% of every fare goes to uber.

So on an $8.00 trip...

The driver gets $6.00 to put towards their car rental. It's going to take a very long time to get to $500 on $6.00 fares.

On top of this these drivers get a lot less trips per day/hour than most would think. if memory serves me right... 30 per shift is about the NYC average for taxis. With uber it's probably less, because it's harder to find Bob at the corner of X street and 1st than the first person flagging you down on X street.

There's other complicating factors. It's not just trip to trip either, you have a down period between trips.

So in the phases of a ride...

X minutes waiting
Y minutes driving to get to you
Z minutes with you..

X/Y are constant
Z is proportional to the payout for the trip.

X+y will be constantish for all drivers in a given area, Z will vary by the length of time YOU are in their car. X+Y are unpaid... the less time out of the hour a driver is doing X/Y the more money they make. Lots of short trips won't generate much of any Z time while they make up lots of X/y time.

Let's say hypothetically...I don't know the actual numbers... but this is what the math looks like, hypothetically.
So if an area is averaging 3 trips per hour. And a driver A gets 3 $6.00 payouts in an hour, that's really lousy compared to driver B who get's 3 $10.00 trips in an hour. Or driver C who gets 2 $15.00 trips in 45 minutes.

The difference between a $6.00 trip and a $10.00 trip beginning to end might only be +-3 minutes in the car.

So a $6.00 trip could take 10-15 minutes beginning to end (including waiting for a trip), while a $10 trip takes only 13-17 minutes beginning to end.

Long story short, it doesn't matter where on earth you are, very short trips suck.

·
Premium Member
26,819 Posts
The first $500-700 PER WEEK (yes per week) goes to the shop who owns/maitains the vehicle. (I looked it up today)
Thank you for that little bit of information.

One of the reasons that T. Kalanick always used to give for the artificially low payoffs on UberX was that the cab driver paid all of this money to his base while the UberX driver did not need to do that. Ol' T.Kalanick had "cut out" that part of it. .............YET MORE Uber lies........................

Cab rentals in the suburbs here are about the same as the UberX car rentals in New York. In the City, the rents are lower, and always have been. They did edge up a little bit a few years back when the City issued all of these hack licences but told the new licensees that they would have to rent. You could not even find the worst hoopty with a dead inspection sticker to rent, then. It has eased off somewhat, when the City started issuing new H-Plates to owner-operators of aceessibles and p ure electrics. The TNCs even fund grants for accessible taxicabs here, through the one per cent tax that they pay to the City on all trips that originate or terminate in the City.

In addition, several fleet owners "made arrangements" to get more H-Plates that the then Taxicab Commission was "not" authorising. Some drivers went over to Uber, as well. These three factors eased the rental cab shortage, here.

·
Super Moderator
7,455 Posts
OP may be low rated due to factors like attitude, not tipping, etc. but it is a fact that NYC pax have lower ratings than those from other areas of the country ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL. I have observed this again and again picking people up at the airport. I can only conclude that there are some unique factors in NYC that make drivers really disgruntled.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.