Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay- so I am tired of back-seat driving// It makes me nervous and anxious and the light minute instructions messes me up. If this starts-can I cancel the ride and I understand I may not get paid but will the customer be able to rate me? I had a horrible experience yesterday with this. The customer almost got us into an accident and then 4 star me with a safety rating? I should have cancelled the moment he started micro managing me- 28 minutes ride from Richfield to Viking statdium through the traffic and got paid $10 and he still whines about safety- if he was unsafe then he should have asked me to cancel the trip and move on but why do that?

· Registered
599 Posts
Yea, you have to be firm when talking to them, especially when they are drunk. If they get roudy. Kick them out and let uber know why you cancelled mid way through. I do still get nervous sometimes when they start yelling directions at me. Go this way! Go that way! Take a right! Sir, please stop i am taking you to your destination. Please sit back down. lol

· Premium Member
2,859 Posts
When someone says make a right here at the last second I totally ignore them unless I can turn safely. I just tell them to late I was committed going this way, I'm following the Waze route wich is usually best. I had people update the destination without saying a word while I'm in the wrong lane to make a turn. Just let the route recalculate and go. Half the time they just like going a preferred route even though it's the same or more time involved.

· Registered
94 Posts
Just tell them if they want you to go a different way than how your gps is taking you, they will have to give you proper amount of notice for the turns.. tell them that you aren't going to be making any last second turns or anything that might cause an accident. Tell them otherwise you will just keep following the GPS directions.

Don't worry about the ratings, if you are a good driver.. the ratings will even out.. there will always be someone that rates you low and you did everything right.

· Premium Member
5,977 Posts
It's YOUR car, take freakin charge of it, like you're the captain on a ship. Twice in the past year I've stopped and ripped pax a new one. They either back the f down or walk. Take control of the situation.

· Premium Member
5,977 Posts
Then you shouldn't be driving, not nights/bar hours anyway.

Ratings are over rated. Uber averages last 500 ratings, and gives you time to smooth out the numbers.

If you let pax walk all over you, you will be miserable.

· Premium Member
377 Posts
Okay- so I am tired of back-seat driving// It makes me nervous and anxious and the light minute instructions messes me up. If this starts-can I cancel the ride and I understand I may not get paid but will the customer be able to rate me? I had a horrible experience yesterday with this. The customer almost got us into an accident and then 4 star me with a safety rating? I should have cancelled the moment he started micro managing me- 28 minutes ride from Richfield to Viking statdium through the traffic and got paid $10 and he still whines about safety- if he was unsafe then he should have asked me to cancel the trip and move on but why do that?
2 weeks ago same thing happened with me it was 45 minutes rides, guy in the back seat was so drunk and start singing a song in loud voice, i gave him 2 warnings but he did not listen i pulled my car over and told him either you are gona go out from my car by yourself or I will be calling cops.
It's your car your rules, don't let anybody to jump on your should just for couple of dollars, they will give you 1 star no matter what you do with them, at that situation you should not care about stars.

· Registered
664 Posts
You don't want to cancel the ride -not sure if that's even possible once you start one - what you should do is find a safe location to drop pax and END the ride. That way you still get paid for the miles driven. Flag the pax saying they made you feel unsafe.

· Registered
599 Posts
yes you can cancel the ride and/or end it during the trip. Also, we all were nervous about our rating when we first started. As most people say in this forum. If you have a clean car and give a safe ride your ratings won't be bad.

· Registered
708 Posts
You need to be confident when you drive. Your car is your office. If you are coming off as shy and timid, PAX will sense that and some will take advantage of it. Don’t let yourself be pushed around. As mentioned above, keep your car clean, be polite, and get people from A to B safely and you shouldn’t have many issues.

· Premium Member
535 Posts
Try to drive during early morning or daytime hours until you become a bit more confident. People are nicer, there’s less traffic, and you can see better.

If someone tells you how to drive, take their way if you can. If you miss a turn just apologize politely and say that you were following your gps app and that it is programmed to go the fastest/most direct way but that you’re happy to take their preferred route if they give you advance warning of where they’d like you to turn. Try to be accommodating but if the person is truly a jerk, pull over to a safe place and tell the customer you need to end the ride.

As others have said, true jerks are rare. Maybe more prevalent if they are inebriated, so avoid driving those times if you don’t feel comfortable dealing with it. Otherwise just be polite and don’t worry about ratings or stress too much. We all get the occasional person we can’t wait to get out of our car.

· Premium Member
377 Posts
Don't hesitate to give big 1 star to jerks.

· Premium Member
2,977 Posts
If I have a ‘unsafe’ backseat driver, I immediately pull over and have them provide me with the route they want to take. And I explain to them that their last minute instructions are unsafe.

I put it into this context, I understand this is your preferred route but there are many ways to get where we are going. My route can be + or minus a few minutes and in the grand scheme of things, we both won’t even remember tomorrow those 5 minutes gained or lost.

Bottom line, I am taking your route if it seems efficient or I am vetoing it and earning a 1*. In this case, upon them exiting, I will say something smart along the lines of wow, we will never know if we made it here sooner or later and sorry man, but you just earned a 1 Star which warns other drivers of this behavior.

***door slam ensues

· Registered
32 Posts
No need for all these tough-guy replies. If someone tells you last-second to make a turn, just say "ughhh, sorry, can't get over safely now." Mention you're just following gps, but let me know beforehand and I'll go anyway you want.

Any normal person will be fine with that. If they aren't, the problem is them, not you.

I use this as a PAX occasionally. Gps takes weird way right by my house. I usually mention this 30 seconds beforehand. I wasn't paying attention once, told driver a little late, he responded "o, sorry, following gps". I told him, naw it was my fault for saying too late. Probably how interaction will go 95%+ of time

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.