Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First post but excited to join this community. I recently started driving a few weeks ago and hit my 100th trip last weekend. Like anything driving with Uber is a learning process but it gives me something productive to do on the weekends.

I recently leased a new car. I know to join Uber I had to upload my registration and drivers license among other documents.

I have a 45,000 mile lease over three years. I typically only drive every other weekend as again it's just something I do to keep busy.

However my dealership offers powertrain and other warranties for the life of the car assuming basic maintenance is performed at set intervals AND the car is not used for commercial purposes, of which Uber would be classified.

Is their a database shared by Uber where a quick VIN or license plate check would show the vehicle has been registered? I have to take the car into the dealer soon for my first courtesy check and don't want to look stupid if they ask

Thanks for any insight provided

·
Premium Member
11,630 Posts
Hi everyone,

First post but excited to join this community. I recently started driving a few weeks ago and hit my 100th trip last weekend. Like anything driving with Uber is a learning process but it gives me something productive to do on the weekends.

I recently leased a new car. I know to join Uber I had to upload my registration and drivers license among other documents.

I have a 45,000 mile lease over three years. I typically only drive every other weekend as again it's just something I do to keep busy.

However my dealership offers powertrain and other warranties for the life of the car assuming basic maintenance is performed at set intervals AND the car is not used for commercial purposes, of which Uber would be classified.

Is their a database shared by Uber where a quick VIN or license plate check would show the vehicle has been registered? I have to take the car into the dealer soon for my first courtesy check and don't want to look stupid if they ask

So you're committing fraud, and didn't consider how to properly cover it up before engaging in it?

I don't know about them knowing from the VIN, but you'd better really hope you don't get into an accident while online with Uber... even if it's someone else's fault. The insurance comoanies will notify the leasing company, and they'll notify Uber... then, who knows uf Uber's insurancw company will cover or not, because, technically, you shouldn't have been using that car at all on the platform, and did so fraudulently....

Makes my head spin... Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're committing fraud, and didn't consider how to properly cover it up before engaging in it?

I don't know about them knowing from the VIN, but you'd better really hope you don't get into an accident while online with Uber... even if it's someone else's fault. The insurance comoanies will notify the leasing company, and they'll notify Uber... then, who knows uf Uber's insurancw company will cover or not, because, technically, you shouldn't have been using that car at all on the platform, and did so fraudulently....

Makes my head spin... Good luck!
So this is one of those sites? Where the established posters like to share their misery with everyone else?

I'm not committing fraud and I have more than adequate insurance. I can do with the car as I please for the 45,000 miles. If I want the lifetime powertrain warranty I have to meet certain conditions up to and including NOT using the car for commercial purposes which would make my decision to buy the car after lease pretty simple if the dealership chooses not to extend my coverage. My question, was if the dealer had a way to see if I was registered with Uber. It had NOTHING to do with committing fraud. Nothing in the terms of the lease exclude me from using the car for any purpose of which I desire.

You must be exhausted from all the conclusions you've jumped to

·
Premium Member
11,630 Posts
So this is one of those sites? Where the established posters like to share their misery with everyone else?

I'm not committing fraud and I have more than adequate insurance. I can do with the car as I please for the 45,000 miles. If I want the lifetime powertrain warranty I have to meet certain conditions up to and including NOT using the car for commercial purposes which would make my decision to buy the car after lease pretty simple if the dealership chooses not to extend my coverage. My question, was if the dealer had a way to see if I was registered with Uber. It had NOTHING to do with committing fraud. Nothing in the terms of the lease exclude me from using the car for any purpose of which I desire.

You must be exhausted from all the conclusions you've jumped to
Ok then... what exactly is your question? See, it sounds like you're asking if you should be honest with them because you're afraid you'll get caught.

Otherwise, you'd just tell them the truth and give up the warranty, right?

·
Banned
5,897 Posts
Hi everyone,

Why can't you just tell the dealership you're using it for uber, if you have nothing to hide?

·
Premium Member
11,630 Posts
Why can't you just tell the dealership you're using it for uber, if you have nothing to hide?
This is what I'm saying!

Not being mean here, but you (OP) seem to be making some huge mistakes -- or are getting ready to.

Here's another one:

You say you have "more than adequat insurance".... Does that mean you purshased a Rideshare Rider (addendum) to go with your personal policy? Very few companies offer them. In NJ, at the moment, only Farmers does. If you don't have your policy with one of these comoanies and have rideshare coverage as well, the moment you get into an accident while online, you may find yourself having some problems. Uber's insurance company, James River, works for THEM, not you. There are certain things that could come up that JR won't cover, and your personal insurance won't, either. You could be on the hook.

And regardless of whether or not Uber reports to your leasing company, your insurance carrier WILL.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Is their a database shared by Uber where a quick VIN or license plate check would show the vehicle has been registered?
I highly doubt it.
What may tip them off is your mileage if you do a lot of driving. Have a backup story as to why your putting so many miles on the car. Don't leave your trade dress on/in the car or any other materials that may be questionable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok then... what exactly is your question? See, it sounds like you're asking if you should be honest with them because you're afraid you'll get caught.

Otherwise, you'd just tell them the truth and give up the warranty, right?
My question has to do with databases for reasons above and beyond the warranty provided by my dealership, if you didn't know the answer you could say no rather then try and scold me. Again, my insurance provided by USAA is more than adequate.

Databases of drivers are NOT a good thing. It could raise vehicle registration costs, inspection fees, and so on. If my dealership doesn't extend my warranty that is fine, but I don't want them to provide crappy service because they find out I moonlight as a driver a few weekends a month. Just look out how Air B&B is being treated; surely services like Uber aren't far away.

I wouldn't want the dealership to know I'm driving with uber anymore than I'd want a retailer to know I'm buying that item to resell on eBay. It has to do with perception and the customer service associated with it.

No, there is no way by looking up your vin.
I highly doubt it.
What may tip them off is your mileage if you do a lot of driving. Have a backup story as to why your putting so many miles on the car. Don't leave your trade dress on/in the car or any other materials that may be questionable.
Thank you for the responses. I don't drive frequently and my mileage is in line with my monthly (yearly divided by 12) allotment. I don't dress my car so the only thing I'd need to be sure to remove is the cooler.

·
Premium Member
11,630 Posts
My question has to do with databases for reasons above and beyond the warranty provided by my dealership. ...
Databases of drivers are NOT a good thing. It could raise vehicle registration costs, inspection fees, and so on

Right. Ok. Uber on, then!

·
Registered
829 Posts
It seem like you already have all the answers. I don't understand why your asking anything. Most leases do not allow commercial use. Most insurance do not cover commercial use. I think that is where everyone else is coming from.

Uber is a commercial use of your vehicle.

My standard piece of advice is to get a dashcam. But if you are trying to hide using the vehicle's uber use, don't get a dashcam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seem like you already have all the answers. I don't understand why your asking anything. Most leases do not allow commercial use. Most insurance do not cover commercial use. I think that is where everyone else is coming from.

Uber is a commercial use of your vehicle.

My standard piece of advice is to get a dashcam. But if you are trying to hide using the vehicle's uber use, don't get a dashcam.
My understanding, and I am not a lawyer, is that it is a gray area, much like how Air BnB has been able to skirt certain laws and regulations. It may be a commercial use but it does NOT require you to commercially register your vehicle. It does require certain insurance coverage, but not the same as what is required from a registered taxi or limo service. This is why many taxi services and agencies are trying to lobby against Uber much like the hotel industry is trying to lobby against Air BnB. Let's be honest, the information required to start driving with Uber is a joke as is their screening process.

I, mostly because I am curious, and also because I am new to Uber, want to know how and if Uber shares driver information with say your local, state and federal agencies. If their is a database and who can access it.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just pray to the Good Lord that you don't get into an accident. Even one that's not your fault. I'm sure when you signed the lease agreement there were stipulations against commercial use. Any insurance protecting you could easily become null and void. The couple of dollars you make every other weekend is not worth you getting a criminal conviction or judgement against you.

·
Registered
277 Posts
As a dealership employee, I can say that the only people who would even care would be F&I or office folks.
Sales, service, parts etc could care less what you do or miles driven.
We are so busy (and all paid commision) that its not in my interest to poke around into your business.
As an Uber driver, I might notice your trade dress, and more than likely strike up a conversation w you.Anyone else in the dealership would more than likely ignore you...

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
From what i hear USAA allows rideshare without a specific rideshare endorsement.

Could they find out? Yes. Will they? Unlikely. Should there be an easy database to find out if a vehicle was used in rideshare? Yes. I suee would like to know, just like id like to know if a vehicle was in an accident or how many owners a vehicle had via carfax, but i dont think its standard information, yet.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Nope other than mileage/wear.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi everyone,

Hey dude,

So, this falls under the category of (not getting ride share insurance because you are covered by uber)..The same concept applies because if you get into an accident and you dont actually have rideshare insurance via farmers, aaa, or whatever then the insurance company will drop you because Ubers insurance has to contact your actual insurance company. They find out your doing rideshare, you'll get dropped.

This same concept applies to your contract with the dealership. Anything happens to the car, a report will be filled out and the dealership WILL expect to see a report of the incident before they go to work on your car. They will find out, you will have breached the contract...in the end it wont end well for you. Its not fraud, your're just voiding the contract. You'll lose incentives and you can kiss the warranty good bye..Knock on wood you dont get into a minor fender bender.

Other then that, dont worry about the dealership finding out you do uber, unless you mileage has exceeded whatever you annual mileage contract is. The vin is just to make sure its the actual car, its a confirmation. Dealerships have to keep records. Just like Uber keeps a record on its own database. These databases show different information. I wouldnt worry about that part.

Peace brotha,

Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't worry about it. If they find out (very unlikely) the worst that will happen is they'll cancel your warranty. Most cars will make it over 45k miles without any drive train problem.
What did you leased?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts