Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

Let us know if your calling customers to prequalify the ride net income of your request before picking up. I need your help here to start doing this. The glory days of having half my paycheck with surge money is over. Therefore, I am forced to do this strategy in order to still make $20 net per hour average at the end of the week. I may have 5% of the cheapskate customers cuss me out when I cancel their request but overall it's not that hard to implement this strategy. You guys all complain about making minimum wage and not even driving anymore. This is a way that you can let the guys not here take all the loser rides that uber shoved down our throats.

I skip or cancel over 50% of requests per week easily. I get customers to cancel the majority of cancels. I only get warned by uber for not taking requests, too many timeouts. So, cancels not an issue, no warnings like I've read here. I'm tired of having customers say I'm the only one calling so help me and yourself out by calling these cheapskates and turn them down if ride is under $10 minimum.

I took 8 rides only in 7 hours online recently and netted $130. Another day was 10 rides at $160 net. I'm driving less miles and making more per ride and per hour. All flat rate X and pool rides, got the ride bonus as well last week so hit 85% acceptance rate and 25% completion rate. Surprised I hit the acceptance rate, I skipped a lot of pings last week.

We need to not cave in to uber tactics of wanting us to take their minimum fare rides. Theirs plenty of drivers not on this site that can take care of the crumbs. Just thought I would try to spread some positive constructive advice here.
Steve

·
Registered
157 Posts
I hear you man!..I always do especially if it's more than 6 minutes away, and if they give me static just hang up and don't move (they will cancel most of the time) other thing I started doing like a week ago...POO Request accept and then send a text!
SORRY I DONT DO POO PLEASE REQUEST ANOTHER DRIVER if they reply worried about the cancellation fee I will only say... WE ARE INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS, SO I AM NOT OBLIGATED TO TAKE YOU PLEASE CANCEL AND SOMEBODY ELSE WILL TAKE THE RIDE... So far not a problem with FUBER.. Not that I care about their stupid rating or acceptance rate... They need Us...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hear you man!..I always do especially if it's more than 6 minutes away, and if they give me static just hang up and don't move (they will cancel most of the time) other thing I started doing like a week ago...POO Request accept and then send a text!
SORRY I DONT DO POO PLEASE REQUEST ANOTHER DRIVER if they reply worried about the cancellation fee I will only say... WE ARE INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS, SO I AM NOT OBLIGATED TO TAKE YOU PLEASE CANCEL AND SOMEBODY ELSE WILL TAKE THE RIDE... So far not a problem with FUBER.. Not that I care about their stupid rating or acceptance rate... They need Us...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Everytime I order an uber the driver calls so it does seem to be common these days.

A few weeks ago I ordered a Lyft from the airport as I was walking down the escalator. During the time I was on the escalator the driver clicked arrive (was already waiting there) and then proceeded to drive away. I watched him go out the exit and so I cancelled. The only thing I can think is he hit arrive and when he saw my destination he decided north county wasn't in the cards for him that day.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Mr Steve,

I agree that knowing the destination in advance is the missing key to "success" in this gig.

It is also a fact, requests are getting scarce because of Uber's brilliant Poo and stacked trips idea.

If only we had an UberDestinationHack :) but sometimes when you sit for 45 min before your first ping only to cancel it or have pax cancel becomes a pure waste of time and aggravation. Especially that after all the wait, the next ping is more of the same. I had a pax cancel not too long ago because he was going 5 miles and it would take 10 miles for me to get to him.... but probably less than a mile if I had a boat instead of a car... or maybe a boat where my car could go for the first leg of the trip.

So all subsequent pings I received, came from that same area where I would have had to travel 10 miles to get to pax all while there were drivers crawling all over the area.

Whatever happened to the closest driver from you gets the request?

It is very frustrating to deal with this nonsense, and I do not think it was pure coincidence.

Apparently as of this week, if you ignore one Poo request now leads to a 4 min timeout. So Uber is playing a dirty game that changes on a weekly basis ...

So all and all, when I first started, I felt like I was taken advantage of because I didn't know any better, now I feel like I'm being taken advantage of because I know too much...

As you've noticed the San Diego forum has become almost completely silent lately and that's not because drivers that participated on a regular basis, are out making "life changing" money, it's because they're sick and tired of it all.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Everytime I order an uber the driver calls so it does seem to be common these days.

A few weeks ago I ordered a Lyft from the airport as I was walking down the escalator. During the time I was on the escalator the driver clicked arrive (was already waiting there) and then proceeded to drive away. I watched him go out the exit and so I cancelled. The only thing I can think is he hit arrive and when he saw my destination he decided north county wasn't in the cards for him that day.
That actually sounds more like he may have been at the end of his 10 minute free parking and was doing a lap. but who knows.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
So all and all, when I first started, I felt like I was taken advantage of because I didn't know any better, now I feel like I'm being taken advantage of because I know too much...

As you've noticed the San Diego forum has become almost completely silent lately and that's not because drivers that participated on a regular basis, are out making "life changing" money, it's because they're sick and tired of it all.
Well now you know your just being taken advantage of. I'm one of those drivers that haven't been on here much lately because I just stopped driving as much. 4 hours last week. With all the noob drivers flooding SD leaving themselves online 24/7 and killing the surge, it ain't worth it. Hope your right about this place going silent becasue the experienced guys aren't driving as much.

Soon enough the noobs will flame out or quit because they were too dumb to go offline and wait for surges. Then surge will be back, maybe.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well now you know your just being taken advantage of. I'm one of those drivers that haven't been on here much lately because I just stopped driving as much. 4 hours last week. With all the noob drivers flooding SD leaving themselves online 24/7 and killing the surge, it ain't worth it. Hope your right about this place going silent becasue the experienced guys aren't driving as much.

Soon enough the noobs will flame out or quit because they were too dumb to go offline and wait for surges. Then surge will be back, maybe.
I wish you were right, but I'm seeing way to many new Uber lease vechicles on the road, nobody wants to give up and loose their new car. These ants will continue for to long before giving up because of the new car. Uber slaves for life?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hope your right about this place going silent becasue the experienced guys aren't driving as much.
The experienced guys and gals are NOT the problem ... Far from it! Some may still be driving because they need to and that's understandable. But with Poo - No Surge - and shorties, they are, I imagine pretty disgusted with the end result...Today I logged on for a little while only to start experiencing network problems on Uber's end so even if I had wanted to drive, I wouldn't have been able to.
Uber = waste of time for the most part these days.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I wish you were right, but I'm seeing way to many new Uber lease vechicles on the road, nobody wants to give up and loose their new car. These ants will continue for to long before giving up because of the new car. Uber slaves for life?
Could be, but you gotta figure that a lot of those leasers won't be able to make enough to justify sitting in their car online 10 hours a day just to pay the lease. Mnay might have another job and just don't have the time it takes to drive full time and watch half your money go to a lease.

Wishful thinking maybe, but the drivers who need a lease probably don't make the best decisions anyway so they will probably be gone pretty quick.

Drive it like you rented it comes into play to. I'd be willing to bet those cars will have a higher accident rate.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Pretty depressing situation $5 pool and too many ants has made San Diego driving scene as of last month or two. No surge, no incentives and mostly pool and shortie pings. No to mention quality of passenger seems to be decreasing overall. Having to listen to pax complain a lot about other or new drivers also. :(

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Seems like too much of a hassle.

I don't accept requests that are too far away. I'm fine with a quick $3.20 fare (or $4 for no-show) if the request is nearby. Easy money, low miles.

Yesterday I made $133 net, 10 rides in just over 6 hours. Over $20/net during the day, with a nice 1/2 hour break at the beach. Was home by 7pm, no drunks, no drama.

I'll take that any day.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
So I decided to experiment with San Diego Steve's suggestion and the results were as follows:

On 5 pings that I received, I contacted each Pax to inquire about destination.

Ping 1: Destination 5 miles - had him cancel
Ping 2: Destination 7.7 miles - had him cancel (poo)
Ping 3: Destination 1.2 miles - had her cancel
ping 4: Destination around 6 miles - had him cancel
Ping 5: Destination 4.8 miles - had him cancel

These all came in a row in the same location and between the waiting and all, the process took more than 2 hours. So it's obvious, none of these trips would have netted 10 dollars and all together had I done all of them, which is not really feasible because of location change, I would have ended up with a whopping $ 23.00 for 2 hours or more - gas and other expenses.

Uber off until further notice!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
You can always call them....they may not want to give you their destination. In that case you can say it seems too short of a ride so just go ahead and cancel the ride and get another because its not worth my time. Any cancellation by the customer does not affect the driver's rating.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I decided to experiment with San Diego Steve's suggestion and the results were as follows:

On 5 pings that I received, I contacted each Pax to inquire about destination.

Ping 1: Destination 5 miles - had him cancel
Ping 2: Destination 7.7 miles - had him cancel (poo)
Ping 3: Destination 1.2 miles - had her cancel
ping 4: Destination around 6 miles - had him cancel
Ping 5: Destination 4.8 miles - had him cancel

These all came in a row in the same location and between the waiting and all, the process took more than 2 hours. So it's obvious, none of these trips would have netted 10 dollars and all together had I done all of them, which is not really feasible because of location change, I would have ended up with a whopping $ 23.00 for 2 hours or more - gas and other expenses.

Uber off until further notice!
I would have taken the 7.7 mile destination. The goal is $10 net average, so that was good enough to accept. I usually get a $20 net trip to make up for anything less than $10 net.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Hey guys and gals,

Let us know if your calling customers to prequalify the ride net income of your request before picking up. I need your help here to start doing this. The glory days of having half my paycheck with surge money is over. Therefore, I am forced to do this strategy in order to still make $20 net per hour average at the end of the week. I may have 5% of the cheapskate customers cuss me out when I cancel their request but overall it's not that hard to implement this strategy. You guys all complain about making minimum wage and not even driving anymore. This is a way that you can let the guys not here take all the loser rides that uber shoved down our throats.

I skip or cancel over 50% of requests per week easily. I get customers to cancel the majority of cancels. I only get warned by uber for not taking requests, too many timeouts. So, cancels not an issue, no warnings like I've read here. I'm tired of having customers say I'm the only one calling so help me and yourself out by calling these cheapskates and turn them down if ride is under $10 minimum.

I took 8 rides only in 7 hours online recently and netted $130. Another day was 10 rides at $160 net. I'm driving less miles and making more per ride and per hour. All flat rate X and pool rides, got the ride bonus as well last week so hit 85% acceptance rate and 25% completion rate. Surprised I hit the acceptance rate, I skipped a lot of pings last week.

We need to not cave in to uber tactics of wanting us to take their minimum fare rides. Theirs plenty of drivers not on this site that can take care of the crumbs. Just thought I would try to spread some positive constructive advice here.
Steve
My guess is this will get you deactivated.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts