Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most of you are aware, the California Legislature has a bill (Assembly Bill 5) that has already passed the Assembly and is now in the Senate.

Please send an e-mail supporting AB5 to the Standing Committee on Labor, Public Employment and Retirement. Tell the committee that you support AB5 and you want to make sure that Uber and Lyft drivers ARE PROTECTED and INCLUDED.

The e-mail address for this committee is:
[email protected]

This will take you no more than 10-15 minutes to do and it is very important. The e-mail does not need to be long. They simply count the number of e-mails they get supporting the bill.

Once this bill is out of this committee, then we will need to send e-mails to the next committee.

The bill is attempting to remedy the harm to mis-classified workers (like Uber and Lyft drivers among others) who lose significant workplace protections, the unfairness to employers who must compete with companies that misclassify, and the loss to the state of needed revenue from companies that use misclassification to avoid obligations such as payment of payroll taxes, payment of premiums for workers' compensation, Social Security, unemployment, and disability insurance.

You can read the bill on the California legislature site at this link:

Lyft and Uber are fighting this bill like crazy. They have pulled out all of the stops in an effort to not have to pay the drivers an honest days pay for an honest days work. Expect Uber and Lyft to spend millions of dollars fighting this bill and trying to grease the palms of anyone that can help them. They have hired lawyers, PR firms, lobbyists and other "connected" people to try to carve out an exemption for Uber and Lyft.

Right now the bill is the the California Senate Standing Committee on Labor, Public Employment and Retirement. The bill will need to pass this committee and then it will be moved along to 2 other committees before it gets to the Senate floor to be read 2 more times. The bill must pass the committees and the Senate floor in order to become law. It does look like the bill is going to pass in some form or fashion. But you never know how these things will end up especially with companies spending millions of dollars to fight this bill.

As Uber and Lyft drivers we want to make sure that we are NOT carved out of the AB5 bill protections.

Although this bill only currently affects those that drive in California, it will set the standard for how Uber and Lyft will operate throughout the United States.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
As most of you are aware, the California Legislature has a bill (Assembly Bill 5) that has already passed the Assembly and is now in the Senate.

Please send an e-mail supporting AB5 to the Standing Committee on Labor, Public Employment and Retirement. Tell the committee that you support AB5 and you want to make sure that Uber and Lyft drivers ARE PROTECTED and INCLUDED.

[email protected]

This will take you no more than 10-15 minutes to do and it is very important. The e-mail does not need to be long. They simply count the number of e-mails they get supporting the bill.

Once this bill is out of this committee, then we will need to send e-mails to the next committee.

The bill is attempting to remedy the harm to mis-classified workers (like Uber and Lyft drivers among others) who lose significant workplace protections, the unfairness to employers who must compete with companies that misclassify, and the loss to the state of needed revenue from companies that use misclassification to avoid obligations such as payment of payroll taxes, payment of premiums for workers' compensation, Social Security, unemployment, and disability insurance.

You can read the bill on the California legislature site at this link

just sent an email to the congress woman to support our right and minimize exploitation , thank you for the link

Lyft and Uber are fighting this bill like crazy. They have pulled out all of the stops in an effort to not have to pay the drivers an honest days pay for an honest days work. Expect Uber and Lyft to spend millions of dollars fighting this bill and trying to grease the palms of anyone that can help them. They have hired lawyers, PR firms, lobbyists and other "connected" people to try to carve out an exemption for Uber and Lyft.

Right now the bill is the the California Senate Standing Committee on Labor, Public Employment and Retirement. The bill will need to pass this committee and then it will be moved along to 2 other committees before it gets to the Senate floor to be read 2 more times. The bill must pass the committees and the Senate floor in order to become law. It does look like the bill is going to pass in some form or fashion. But you never know how these things will end up especially with companies spending millions of dollars to fight this bill.

As Uber and Lyft drivers we want to make sure that we are NOT carved out of the AB5 bill protections.

Although this bill only currently affects those that drive in California, it will set the standard for how Uber and Lyft will operate throughout the United States.

·
Registered
924 Posts

[email protected]

Like the strike, drivers need to write and make their voices heard. Lyft and Uber have taken advantage of drivers long enough and this is one opportunity to slow, or stop, the increasing exploitation of drivers. PLEASE do your part and send an email.

·
Registered
64 Posts

[email protected]

This bill is putting into law legal precedence that was set in the Dynamex decision. I think this ship has sailed for the gig economy. It has operated under the premise of ask forgiveness not permission and it has caught up with them. #AB5 is the correction that is much needed and Uber and Lyft are losing their shit trying to manage it

I would like to add that Unions need to prepare to get forensic tech professionals on the payroll once this passes. The only way this can be properly negotiated and agreed upon if there is someone who can monitor Ubers system. They have made promises and commitments to drivers by create algorithms to do the exact opposite. Unions are going to have to adapt to the digital age, if not get ahead of it.

I contacted my Senator and Assemblyman last week in support of #AB5. I hope to get notified of lobby day in SAC because I want to make sure my voice is heard.

I know there are caring opinions of #AB5, for me when I was out for 8 weeks for surgery the beginning of the year, I had to save a year to cover my costs. If we get in an accident that hurts us in a major way, you can't qualify for workers comp.

For me, #AB5 is personal. It puts drivers at the table that we have never been invited to. Uber & Lyft is well aware of our concerns (worldwide), they simply don't care. They have eaten away at our earnings and incentives have gone unchecked. They disrupted an industry, but became more grimy in a more sophisticated, socially acceptable & digital way. Cabs are fair market value and we get a fraction of that. They have limited a passengers gratitude (limited to 2xs of fare) after finally "allowing" it.They are manipulating their algorithms to prevent us from using apps like Mystro to maximize our earnings. We have been villianized because they make us adversaries with our passengers in a very small and intimate space, our vehicle. They continue to make it harder for us to do the same job without acknowledging our risk. Our excellence and commitment go unrewarded and largely unacknowledged. We are the face of rideshare. We are the reason why people continue to ride. We deserve to be heard and a seat at the table. #AB5 is a game changer.

just think of how many drivers are actually looking into the bill after getting this notice and instead emailing their lawmakers that they love this bill lol ??
Its not like when they have us sign an agreement in the middle of a shift... Uber/Lyft has created enough distrust that they are forcing drivers to look into it.

Attachments

·
Registered
924 Posts
This bill is putting into law legal precedence that was set in the Dynamex decision. I think this ship has sailed for the gig economy. It has operated under the premise of ask forgiveness not permission and it has caught up with them. #AB5 is the correction that is much needed and Uber and Lyft are losing their shit trying to manage it

I would like to add that Unions need to prepare to get forensic tech professionals on the payroll once this passes. The only way this can be properly negotiated and agreed upon if there is someone who can monitor Ubers system. They have made promises and commitments to drivers by create algorithms to do the exact opposite. Unions are going to have to adapt to the digital age, if not get ahead of it.

I contacted my Senator and Assemblyman last week in support of #AB5. I hope to get notified of lobby day in SAC because I want to make sure my voice is heard.

I know there are caring opinions of #AB5, for me when I was out for 8 weeks for surgery the beginning of the year, I had to save a year to cover my costs. If we get in an accident that hurts us in a major way, you can't qualify for workers comp.

For me, #AB5 is personal. It puts drivers at the table that we have never been invited to. Uber & Lyft is well aware of our concerns (worldwide), they simply don't care. They have eaten away at our earnings and incentives have gone unchecked. They disrupted an industry, but became more grimy in a more sophisticated, socially acceptable & digital way. Cabs are fair market value and we get a fraction of that. They have limited a passengers gratitude (limited to 2xs of fare) after finally "allowing" it.They are manipulating their algorithms to prevent us from using apps like Mystro to maximize our earnings. We have been villianized because they make us adversaries with our passengers in a very small and intimate space, our vehicle. They continue to make it harder for us to do the same job without acknowledging our risk. Our excellence and commitment go unrewarded and largely unacknowledged. We are the face of rideshare. We are the reason why people continue to ride. We deserve to be heard and a seat at the table. #AB5 is a game changer.

Its not like when they have us sign an agreement in the middle of a shift... Uber/Lyft has created enough distrust that they are forcing drivers to look into it.
very well stated. I like how you pointed out that drivers will finally be at the table. I may add that while Lyft has an advisory council that brings drivers to the table (purely for optics and likely results in more ways to extrapolate money from drivers), this bill will ensure that the drivers are at the actual table.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I stopped giving input to both Uber & Lyft. I realized I was helping them money while they were taking mine. Uber stopped the bug reports because I heard engineers were getting in trouble for app errors.

I am soo glad we will be at the table. We just have to chose representation wisely or create our own union. Our needs and demands are very different from any union ever formed especially because it is dealing specifically with software and algorithms.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I am soo glad we will be at the table. We just have to chose representation wisely or create our own union. Our needs and demands are very different from any union ever formed especially because it is dealing specifically with software and algorithms.
That representation won't be any more significant than the old Driver Advisory Council. A place for hand picked pets to kiss ass and give the illusion of Uber listening to its drivers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That representation won't be any more significant than the old Driver Advisory Council. A place for hand picked pets to kiss ass and give the illusion of Uber listening to its drivers.
Uber/Lyft will not be choosing the representation. We will... That is the point of this. We begin having control and ultimately a seat at the table. I think drivers who represent should have been with rideshare/gig-ecomony for a significant amount of time, an average or above average rating and a diverse group (multi-racial), various religions (ie: there are quite a few Muslim drivers that pray at a certain time), men & women, various ages, etc). We also need someone who is an expert in tech, specifically forensics so they can go into the system and make sure what is said at the table is implimented.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Still waiting to hear your proposal to solve the problem.
Still waiting to see a viable solution to this problem be proposed.

A rideshare union would work as well as a McDonalds workers union.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.