Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of signing up / almost complete.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Some audiences of mine down tred the whole concept.. I want to remain positive and be successful. I like the idea I’d working my own hours and not answerable to a boss so to speak

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,758 Posts

Some audiences of mine down tred the whole concept.. I want to remain positive and be successful. I like the idea I'd working my own hours and not answerable to a boss so to speak

Thanks
G'day Shekan63 - nice nic, very positive.

Welcome aboard
There is a similar thread HERE from a fellow newbie and a lot of your questions may answered in there.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts

Some audiences of mine down tred the whole concept.. I want to remain positive and be successful. I like the idea I'd working my own hours and not answerable to a boss so to speak

Thanks
Welcome no.63 ( hope you don' mind short version of your avatar )
Mr Galt has covered a lot , nice one Mr Galt ,but like myself what seems an age ago now, there will still be questions , free to ask more no matter how " silly" you may think they are .
Heres one mistake many of us made , and found out later ,
from day one start a log book, for klms is necessary to sought , priv. And uber
Reason Ubers ks are only with pax onboard, and do not cover going to pick up pax end of year, as your accountant will tell you very ,very useful.
Also it might be an idea to open separate bank account fort uber funds, for what will become obvious when you get started
Uber put up a tax document for you every month , makes it easy

·
Registered
1,811 Posts

Thanks
Good luck, and each to their own.
If you can accept an hourly rate of $15.00 per hour, you'll be good...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Good luck, and each to their own.
If you can accept an hourly rate of $15.00 per hour, you'll be good...
Should you clarify more detail that $15/hour is before or after cost :)

All I can say is Good Luck mate.

Be aware of intoxicated pax, rude behavior and such list go on and on.

I almost drive with a passenger onboard or to pick up point only. Most of the time sit and wait

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
1/. Get a good accountant ... this will save you money.

2/. Identify the busy times ... you must work these or you will go broke.

3/. Drive Safe ... Don't break any laws ... and manage your fatigue ... if you don't it will cost you money.

4/. Your running cost per hour will be at least $10 but should not be more than $15. Therefore if you want to make $25 - $30 per hour in your pocket, after all expenses you will need to gross $35 to $40 per hour. Do not work if you cant gross more than $15 an hour you will be losing money.

5/. Manage your customers ... this is actually difficult and takes experience to achieve ... You can use the rating system to manage the custom you receive ... A 1 or 2 star means you wont be paired with customers again from you or them ... Be tough on your ratings as this will actually save you money and help you make more money by not pairing you up with bad custom again. If you cant rate them but don't want them again send a message to uber about it ... such as my rider never showed this is unacceptable behaviour please unpair me from this customer as I can not make a profit from your cancellation fee ... They will reply and will unpair you and will apoligise for the bad experience. You wont get the bad customer again that wastes your time and money.

There are many reasons you will not want certain customers again mainly cause bad custom costs you time and money. This will take experience with Ubering so take your time with this process but once you have figured out how to use the rating system to help improve your profit it will be worth it.

6/. Efficiency... Try not to be tempted in going for a customer that is over 5 minutes away unless it tells you it is a long trip. There is nothing worse than driving 10 mins or more to pick up a passenger only to take them for a minimum fare. No profit in that.

There are many things I could tell you to help you but most drivers will need to experience ubering first as it just wont make sense. Good luck out there and welcome to the forums. These forums are a great resource just watch out for the trolls and don't feed them :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Be aware of low rating riders. I can not tell you the threshold in Cairn but here in Goldie. I do not pick up under 4.5 stars at night time (especially after club time, drunk, intoxicated and they don't even know who they are let alone care what they do). I sometimes try to avoid a certain area as riders usually just too lazy to walk so 2 mins trip down to bottle shop and 2 mins back with 5 mins waiting time.

During daytime, I do not set threshold but don't travel 10 mins to pick up as traffic is unpredictable.

For the rating, If pax is breathing on your neck, simply force stop (quit) the app (iPhone: Double click the home button and swipe up).

Set the log book straight on the first day if you tend to drive more than 5000km/year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey just seen this old Cairns thread and just thought id put it out there....

Im waiting for my Uber stickers to arrive in post. Had hoped they'd be here by today but no luck..... Just wonderibg if anybody who lives in Cairns has a spare set of stickers i could pick up?? DTMR say you cant print your own and was hoping to get out this weekend!

A 6 pack of beer awaits for your troubles.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Despite what has been said you will probably have to drive 10 min to jobs in Cairns as it is very spread out. I don't accept any jobs more than that far away unless it is a long trip. Also, get to know the rules with passengers and alcohol. Do not pick up obviouly intoxicated people, drive past and cancel the ride. You will get a few up there.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Hey just seen this old Cairns thread and just thought id put it out there....

Im waiting for my Uber stickers to arrive in post. Had hoped they'd be here by today but no luck..... Just wonderibg if anybody who lives in Cairns has a spare set of stickers i could pick up?? DTMR say you cant print your own and was hoping to get out this weekend!

A 6 pack of beer awaits for your troubles.

Welsh , despite what the TMR says .
Print if you can your own the size is 14 cm or 140 mm or 5 inches square
The word UBER Is 17 mm or 20 mm ( letters / font capitals .
The liklyhood of you being pulled up by the TMR , is negligible ,
I still, only have the front one showing , after nearly one year , the TMR realy only care about your car and documentation ,
I was an illegal driver so I guess it's up to you ,
It realy isn't much of a risk , the police are not involved here as it is a Transport Dept.juristriction
Use blue- tak to attach to the screen ,mine is in a clear plastic pouch ,office works (,and I cut mine down I think it's to bloody big )
You are hardly going to fall foul of the TMR .
You are displaying the name of the rideshare company you are driving for , and that is 99% of the law printing your own
Wish you all the best :)
Addition can anyone put up a screenshot of the sticker for Welsh as mine has been " doctored " to suit my taste in stickers :eek:
I think it had a black border

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Drive the cheapest car possible that Uber will allow you to. Do your own tax, tune ups & repairs or you will go broke. Don’t travel more that 8mins to pick anyone up, 5min for Uber eats. Learn the app & how to game the system. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts