Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Did you do anything to raise a flag to officer that you were Uber? App running in clear view? Window dressing displaying Uber? Passengers slip in back seat while you sat in driver? Curious on circumstances if you don't mind sharing...

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
How are "not a cab"? You work for the biggest taxi company on the planet. I mean, the evidence is so obvious that it could smack you right in the face. You're picking up a stranger up at the airport for money for crying out cornflakes....

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Well, you do meet the definition of limousine under the limousine transportation act.

"Limousine" means a self-propelled motor vehicle used in the carrying of passengers and the baggage of the passengers for hire upon a public highway of this state with a seating capacity of 15 passengers or less, including the driver. Limousine does not include a self-propelled motor vehicle having a seating capacity of 15 passengers or less that is used by or on behalf of an employer to transport its employees to and from their place of employment.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Cop came up to me today at the Mac Terminal and asked the passengers getting in if this was uber. They said yes. He then told them to go to the cab stand and told me I had to purchase a ticket book for $100 dollars. This gets me 10 tickets. He said he didn't want to give me a $500 ticket. I just agreed with him, called my passenger and told them to meet me upstairs. What the F is going on there! It's been almost 3 yrs of Uber and everything is still unclear. I made $15 on the trip, so if I would have "followed the rules" I would have made $5 minus gas. Uber is shitty for telling us to go there. They charge an airport fee that doesn't even go to the airport. The cop told me I'm a cab....NO I'm NOT. I don't have a cab license! I'm a regular car like every other car there. Why do they need to suck money out of us?? It's my car. My phone. And my personal business between the passenger and I. None of their business. They think they are the mob.
The passengers just kept yelling "You uber!?" right in front of me, and the cop noticed. I am done with uber, but lifted the ban for a reason I will share once they deactivate me. It's a good reason. Slimy, but good. I didn't buy any tickets...I never would do that.
Well, I guess you answered all my questions from your Thursday post about surge at DTW, and you made "double on your DTW to A2 trip today". Two full days after you said you were busted by a cop & "done with uber, and would never pick up at DTW again" LOL Even knowing the possible penalties ... you just cant stop! To the other poster that said "how did they know?" ... when you do 30 pick ups a week at the MAC terminal, you will eventually be recognized, even if your pax doesnt yell "hey, are you my uber", its the same cops every day! It does suck that Uber AP says its fine, and they charge the extra fee! WTF? We need to do a protest at their office!

Reactions: tohunt4me

·
Registered
90 Posts
.....unless the OP is just trying to get people not do airport pickups, so she knows she can grab an easy surge fare.
She been saying for months now she was done with UBER but she is still posting and talking about her airport runs weekly.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The passengers just kept yelling "You uber!?" right in front of me, and the cop noticed. I am done with uber, but lifted the ban for a reason I will share once they deactivate me. It's a good reason. Slimy, but good. I didn't buy any tickets...I never would do that.
Come on, please reveal your big slimy good reason for staying active! You think we are all getting big settlement checks? You know that when Uber settled with the California drivera, they all got like 80 bucks each! Lol

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Cop came up to me today at the Mac Terminal and asked the passengers getting in if this was uber. They said yes. He then told them to go to the cab stand and told me I had to purchase a ticket book for $100 dollars. This gets me 10 tickets. He said he didn't want to give me a $500 ticket. I just agreed with him, called my passenger and told them to meet me upstairs. What the F is going on there! It's been almost 3 yrs of Uber and everything is still unclear. I made $15 on the trip, so if I would have "followed the rules" I would have made $5 minus gas. Uber is shitty for telling us to go there. They charge an airport fee that doesn't even go to the airport. The cop told me I'm a cab....NO I'm NOT. I don't have a cab license! I'm a regular car like every other car there. Why do they need to suck money out of us?? It's my car. My phone. And my personal business between the passenger and I. None of their business. They think they are the mob.

·
Registered
163 Posts
In the State of Michigan, if you are transporting people and being rewarded, you are in fact "a for-hired vehicle" and you need commercial insurance, AND you must be MDOT stickered, and therefor the airport is entitled to collect $10. for every pick-up. Its their apple tree that you are picking apples from. Sorry. I have been in this business over 27 years, and we can not have two sets of rules. PERIOD. The cop is correct.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Welcome to the world of cab driving! Remember, it is the process, the activity, the profiting from point-to-point transportation using a passenger vehicle that makes you a cabbie, not the car or phone or the trade dress.

Not liking a reality does not void that reality.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes, we are organizing a pushback, and we are going to be bigger pests about this! We are going to continue writing letters and contacting media and politicians to either enforce the current pick up procedures, or scrap them altogether and give us a flat field to compete.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes, we are organizing a pushback, and we are going to be bigger pests about this! We are going to continue writing letters and contacting media and politicians to either enforce the current pick up procedures, or scrap them altogether and give us a flat field to compete.
The last time I was involved in trying to be a do-gooder, it bit me in the a**. No good deed goes unpunished, yet I have a urge to get involved again. Well hear goes nothing, how about unionizing? Just a note hear, I am not saying I support, or don't support unions, but when companies like UBER pull some of the crap that they do, we may have to unionize.

·
Registered
2 Posts
NEVER DO THE AIRPORT and here is why:

1. cops will impound your car and ticket you (some tickets run 4,000) again that is the worst!! 100- 500 is average ticket and impound FEES!! no is cracking 500 a day on airport runs, NOT EVEN 150 AND THAT WOULD BE ALL DAY AND SUPER LUCKY\\
2.(to Ann Arbor) The ride at the door 1-4 are decent but you have spend "dead miles" to get back or you will be stuck in Ann arbor
3.(to Detroit) rides are decent but no great on uberX
3a. Alot of poeople park in dearborn, garden city etc and uber to their car for like 4 bucks and you give up your spot
4. you will get a shit ton of rides in the hotels behind the speedway at 94 andf merriman cus someone doesnt want the shuttle for whatever reason which puts you at the end of the line and you made 2.88 on uber x
5. FIFO is good but it means you will be waiting 40+ mins at certain times

******MOST IMPORTANT****( this is why the airport isnt as good as you would think)
6. reject enough rides that arent "door" runs 2-3 ride and you will get bumped offline, reject more 1 or 2 more so 4 total in a row then you get a 10 min lockout, and reject more you will get deactivated( i dont know what you have maintain for an acceptance rate
7. So driving the airport sucks because uber wants serviceability and instead of postive incentive uber went will the negative punishment model

SOME MUCH RISK FOR ALOT OF WAITING AND HIT OR MISS MONEY, AND REQUIRES SOME LUCK, JUST BEING IN THE "RIGHT' SPOT ISNT GOOD ENOUGH AT THE AIRPORT, I THINK THERE IS BETTER STRATEGY THAT DOESNT INVOLVE THE AIRPORT

**************PIPE DREAMING*********************
thoughts and the way to fix it : airport would GREAT if ( and this would fix it) 1. have a queue published so you can see where you are at ie 2 of 100 etc then 2. allow driver say in the lower end of the airport queue to take the rides that are non airpot and ALLOW THEM TO KEEP THEIR SPOT 3. if the driver isnt back in time then send it to the next driver waiting. Give the original driver 15 mins to return to blue zone other wise he/she starts at the end. BOOOM fixed!!! Drivers get airport runs that are usually good and 2 serviceability stays high and drivers dont have reject anything.

OR

Make little runs in the surrounding airport town (like Romulus) worth more and yah it sucks that they have to pay more but it would give the drivers an incentive to take them'I feel like they are punishing us for wanting airport run but We the drivers are taking all the risk. Say I total my car, UBER isnt helping me replace anything, they want us to be Uber slaves and take the next ride no matter what. SO the should give a positive incentive for taking everything or a bonus for high acceptance rates, etc SOMETHING!!! they are negatively punishing drive rather then incentives

·
Registered
2 Posts
The last time I was involved in trying to be a do-gooder, it bit me in the a**. No good deed goes unpunished, yet I have a urge to get involved again. Well hear goes nothing, how about unionizing? Just a note hear, I am not saying I support, or don't support unions, but when companies like UBER pull some of the crap that they do, we may have to unionize.
yo I HAVE been thinking the same thing but union would be so hard to organize and scabs would **** us :(

1 - 20 of 77 Posts