Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NJ drivers license and I wanted to buy a car for uber and register it with the TLC.

When i am ready and choose the car and go out and buy it (let's say in nj), do i request them to get me TLC plates if I give them a base letter and commercial insurance card or do I have to pay for taxes and registration for nj?

Or do I drive off with just temp plates (with commercial insurance) and then I go to TLC and get the TLC plates and registration

Would it be easier to buy the car in NY? Will the dealerships there do the whole TLC process?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You get tlc plates from dmv, how in the world the dealer give u tlc plates? Newbies, newbies, newbies.
I never went to the dmv to get plates, the dealerships always took care of it. They gave me temp plates and I went back in 3 weeks for my regular plates.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Whatever you do with the NY TLC make sure you have everything on their checklist...because you have to wait about an hour or so to get to the actual NYC TLC counter to do anything. You wait in a line to the elevator, wait in another line to information desk, and then are provided a number where you sit and wait. There is no parking outside of the TLC office. I had to park a mile away and take an Uber to get to the office. If you are missing one item on their checklist, you will have to come back...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Your challenge is to Make Sure the car you are buying doesn't cost more than $3,500. Under $3,000 is best. Don't buy at Used or new car dealer, don't lease or rent car. Go MAKE A DEAL AT A COLLISION SHOP.
Bring uber vehicle list to collision shop and tell them you'll only buy car if it passes TCL inspection. Talk to lots of people before you bury yourself in debt.

http://www.driveubernyc.com/vehicles/full-list

·
Banned
821 Posts
Now that TLC has relaxed the age rule to 7 years you can get a decent used car a few years old and still have time. Look what everyone else is using and use that. I see everyone uses the Toyota Camry. I used to see lots of Prius but not so much anymore.

What matters most is miles on the engine. Toyota Hybrid engines are very durable. You can get 300k miles out of a Toyota Hybrid without big repairs. Gas only engines maybe 200k. If you are driving 5 to 6 days a week, 10 hours a day...do the math.

A non luxury car like a Camry with 200 to 300k miles on it is probably worth not more than 5k. Ive seen used Camry Hybrids, previous yellow cabs, with 300k go for $3000 on the Autotrader. So that is your depreciation and end limit for the car. Gas only cars have a life of not more than 200k miles, hybrids 300k...anything more is a gift. When the cars reach that they are worth 3000 dollars give or take.

You will not find a 3000 dollar car for low miles even ones damaged&fixed. How do I know? I worked at bodyshops which sold cars like that. They would find cars at the auction, fix them as cheaply as possible and sell them. We would get parts from salvage yard and Rockauto. NO WAY is any car shop going to sell you a low mile car, even one that is fixed, for 3000. The people who work at these car shops were not born yesterday. Go on Autotrader or ebay and check to see how much they want a salvaged vehicle for. Big discount, but no way 3000 dollars for it.

Driving in NJ you can get away with driving a cheaper American car as its suburban driving. One guy on here bought a cheap Chevy Malibu at auction, fixed it himself and drives it Uber in NJ. Manhattan stop and go...anything thats either not a Toyota or not a Suburban wont last. The Malibu wont last in Manhattan.

If you have all these guys in Manhattan zooming around in Camry and Prius they are doing it for a reason. They are just as smart or smarter than you and they know what they are doing. In Jersey you can get away with whatever, but Manhattan stop and go no way. Also Hybrid gas engine shuts down when stopped. In a gas car you have to switch it off which may or may not be safe to do sometimes. So Hybrid perfect for Manhattan.

My advice would be to find a 3 year old Prius V or Camry Hybrid in Black. If the car gets damaged Black is the easiest color for a painter to handle and if you can find Black parts for it simply exchange them off the vehicle without painting. It will match close enough and you need to get back on the road.

No way you going to find a decent low mile vehicle for 3k. Only thing you will find is old high miles vehicle for that.

My experience is driving dynamics in Camry is perfect, but you cant fit much in the trunk. 17 gallon gas tank in Camry means big range. Prius V is slow, ride a little worse and not as quiet, but it does hold more in the trunk and about 5 mpg better on gas. I think its an 11 gallon gas tank.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Keep this in mind...I was once in the market for a car and looked on Ebay. There was a car in Florida that looked too good to be true with 5000 miles. It was an awesome deal. Than I looked at the news and saw there was flooding in the area. I looked closer at the pictures and saw a yellow marking on the engine cover. New vehicles dont come with this sloppy handwriting on the engine. Engines at salvage yards are usually chalked up with yellow paint so as to track them through the yard. The CarFax was clean, but this was certainly a FLOOD vehicle. The owner probably drove it through flood waters seizing the engine. He replaced the engine with a salvage and is now selling it. I sent a message to the Ebay seller asking about it. He said he was selling it because of his wife's allergies...bullshit!

If I bought this vehicle from Ebay, it would last a few months before the electrical system would go and it would smell. So, beware of any "deal" you think you are getting. I know a little about the Hurricane Sandy cars in our area. I know of a guy who decided to keep driving his Ford van that was lightly flooded. About 6 months later it stopped running and it smelled inside. Impressive that it could keep running for so long after...

Again, no car shop is going to give you an incredible deal. Its an efficient market and every single person is a shark. That "deal" you think you are getting might be a flood vehicle or something is wrong with it only known to the seller.

·
Registered
854 Posts
NJDriver, Thanks for the comments. You would have to get a car 100-200K. Stay away from salvage and flood cars. Wrecks only.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts