Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
A Richmond Hill used car dealer told me they get cars from auction at very cheap price. He didn’t say where but all the cars in his lot were Canadian. Of course, no warranty whatsoever from the auction house.

·
Banned
17,425 Posts
Both my PRIUS and my LEAF were USA Import vehicles.
HOWEVER.
I didn't do the paperwork; in both cases it was a third/middle party who did the purchase/paperwork. (bought in 2009, a 2006 Prius, 14K km, for $16,000; bought in 2014, a 2012 Leaf, 18K km, for $14,000).
Nissan even honoured the warranty remaining on the vehicle.
The Toyota was a salvage/rebuild, but still I never had a problem with driving it to neraly -> sold it for $3000 in 2016, 238,000km on the odo.

Due to the large disparity in the US$ at the moment, I wouldn't go through the hassle of heading to the USA and importing a vehicle yourself. Keep in mind you would have to pay import taxes, duties, etc. You also would have to resafety it up here, and inspectors may have an issue with no automatic daytime running lights (difference in Canuck / USA vehicle standards).

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have question if I bought from NYC Lincoln dealer , do I have to pay double tax. Canadian tax when registering and NYC tax when buying .

The vehicle that I want is almost double the price at Lincoln Canada. NYC Lincoln dealer has good rating. Wonder how warranty and tax would work kurt

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Growning up my dad bought all his cars at Atlanta auctions. The Lincoln Town was the most smooth and one the best cars . Never had problems. This was pre 9/11 so basically just drove them across. Process has changed, and I am not buying at auction dealership Lincoln.

Usually huge deals at auctions means cars that were submerged in flooding after big storms. Buyer Beware
The same process I go through here would apply there as well. Carfax having a family member (mechanic) inspect, pull Vin to see past ownership ect. Buying from a highly rated Ford/lincoln dealerI might even kick the tires.1 thing I won't do is buy a flood car what kind moron does that

·
Registered
47 Posts
There information online regarding all the steps involved. I looked into it and I gave up. Currency conversion..duties etc..I had no way to physically move the car either ( no plates). All this is easier if you or your friend has pick up truck with a trailer attached that you can tow the car on. Then you have to have the car inspected and convert the car to Canadian safety requirements mainly daytime running lights. I'd say too much hassle.
There is local auctions that anyone can attend. Check North Toronto auctions in Innisfil.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There information online regarding all the steps involved. I looked into it and I gave up. Currency conversion..duties etc..I had no way to physically move the car either ( no plates). All this is easier if you or your friend has pick up truck with a trailer attached that you can tow the car on. Then you have to have the car inspected and convert the car to Canadian safety requirements mainly daytime running lights. I'd say too much hassle.
There is local auctions that anyone can attend. Check North Toronto auctions in Innisfil.
Thanks cuber84 never thought about that towing, definitely check out North Toronto auctions

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
You pay American tax and import fees. Canada wants its Tax. Head over to ServiceON or call them. They might provide you with better answers regarding amount to be paid. While bringing the car make sure you have all paper works ready for an easy border passing. You might even be able to get a Temporary plate to bring the car if you pay all the fees/taxes.

I don't know if you have asked the dealership that if they know of the process. Some do because they might've already sold to a few Canadians.

Day running light is no big deal as you buy a part which has some wires that you connect.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You pay American tax and import fees. Canada wants its Tax. Head over to ServiceON or call them. They might provide you with better answers regarding amount to be paid. While bringing the car make sure you have all paper works ready for an easy border passing. You might even be able to get a Temporary plate to bring the car if you pay all the fees/taxes.

I don't know if you have asked the dealership that if they know of the process. Some do because they might've already sold to a few Canadians.

Day running light is no big deal as you buy a part which has some wires that you connect.
Yah , the double tax sucks

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
No.

Some states (CA for example) will charge tax UNLESS you have the car shipped up to you. Then no prob. It's the same here when I exported. No GST as long as I ship it to you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.