Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a new car to drive for Uber, preferably something that would fit both Uber Select and UberXL. There are a couple of SUVs with a pair of extra seats in the back that would fit both categories perfectly, but I would also like to get your opinion on this. Which car do you think is optimal for these two categories in terms of price, MPG, etc? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Best,

tutsieroll

·
Banned
1,980 Posts
Look at your market and buy the cheapest select eligible suv that has 3 rows. Most markets that's a 2008 Volvo Xc90 3.2 fwd. Good thing about this car is it will get 20mpg and is mechanically reliable most pro lessons these cars have are electrical type issues. The 3.2 engine is pretty solid to 300k to 400k miles

Now if you're buying this suv for yourself and uber is gonna be a side gig, get what u want.
I drive a 2014 Explorer sport and do xl and select, I get around 23mpg doing mostly Airport rides so probably 70% of my miles are highway

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responses! UberDezNutz, that's a solid point, but 2008 seems a little too old, maybe? I am concerned that if I get a 2008 or 09 vehicle, it will no longer be eligible in a year or so, since Uber is constantly updating those requirements to make sure that their drivers have the newest cars possible. And yeah, to add some context, I am actually planning to use the vehicle exclusively for Uber. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Best,

tutsieroll

·
Banned
1,980 Posts
Thank you for the responses! UberDezNutz, that's a solid point, but 2008 seems a little too old, maybe? I am concerned that if I get a 2008 or 09 vehicle, it will no longer be eligible in a year or so, since Uber is constantly updating those requirements to make sure that their drivers have the newest cars possible. And yeah, to add some context, I am actually planning to use the vehicle exclusively for Uber. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Best,

tutsieroll
So 2008 is the bare minimum for select, however if you keep a higher rating and go into the hub, you can get an extension. They approved my 07 bmw for another year of select even though i haven't done an uber ride in it in almost a year.

I only say get an older one and turn around and sell it after you rack up 40k miles, for those years of cars 40k doesn't do much to the value of the car. If you get a good deal you can probably sell the car 1 year and 40k miles later for roughly the same price you bought it for eliminating the depreciation factor a bit. The newer the car the higher the depreciation per mile. Also trust me after a year of full time ubering you're probably gonna be bored and or disgusted with your car

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Omg. Omg. I read your post. And it brought a smile to my face
As much as u want u to get an obscenely expensive car to uber with. I feel bad. U may have kids. Or cats n dogs. Who are going to be really upset ehen u drive that car into the ground. Go upside down on yoyr payments or worse become homeless

Its really. Really not a smart decision.
Like. Seriously. Borrow a friends bucket. And try this for s bit vefore u do something u may regret.

Seriously. Just peruse this site.
This isnt an uber lyft fan club. There are some people who are still fans but now. NOW. This is a. Im disgusted with what happened to rideshare club and each new week. There is an added layer of disgust discussed and we oooh and aaaah it.

Seriously. Think about your cats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Skepticaldriver, haha I appreciate your concern. I've been driving for Uber and Lyft full-time for the almost two years now. I have some friends who also happen to drive full-time and they insist that buying a newer car is better. Are we missing something here? Why is buying a new car so bad if rideshare driving full-time?

And yeah, I don't have any cats. I would love to have one though.

So 2008 is the bare minimum for select, however if you keep a higher rating and go into the hub, you can get an extension. They approved my 07 bmw for another year of select even though i haven't done an uber ride in it in almost a year.

I only say get an older one and turn around and sell it after you rack up 40k miles, for those years of cars 40k doesn't do much to the value of the car. If you get a good deal you can probably sell the car 1 year and 40k miles later for roughly the same price you bought it for eliminating the depreciation factor a bit. The newer the car the higher the depreciation per mile. Also trust me after a year of full time ubering you're probably gonna be bored and or disgusted with your car
Yeahhh, that actually makes sense. But what if I am driving full-time?

·
Banned
1,980 Posts
If you're driving part time get a newer car if that's what you want but if you're planning on driving full time buy an older cheaper car. Look at your markets requirements and find which cheaper cars qualify for both xl and select. Like I mentioned in most markets a Volvo xc90 3.2 fwd qualifies also Lincoln mkt can be had cheap since they're not very popular

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Volvo xc90
Yeah sure. If its for your daughter and u want her to be safe.

Why tf would u recommend that car? Oh. So it qualifies for xl and select.

Thats so effin stupid to consider such an expensive car for this type of work.

You realize the limited no of fares for those categories wouldnt give u a good roi

Are you people high?

That og uber black guy summed it up when he chewed out that uber ceo.

All fares are in the crapper. The select market is extremely saturated One would rarely get that. The xl can sustain but only in an economic xl. Which excludes many.

Sure. Buy a heap. End up forking repair after repair.

Or maybe youre right. Im obviously on the wrong thread. I was looking for the good car suggestions for good net profit one. What i found is the how to break even after a years time of bustin your hump thread.

Everyone wants to roll in a friggin car and only do the xl select plus suv premier lux. They think theyre gonna ball because obviously everyone else is a dumbass. So why not spring for top of the line. Hell. Youre a driver now. Live the jason statham transporter dream.

Wake up. Smell reality. Fork over a fortune for the slickest ride u can. Bcuz youre smart now. Youre an independent contractor.

Let lyft and uber add your 45k car to their fleet and pimp u for rock bottom prices while at the same time flood the market with every category until yall givin premier rides to other drivers.

These companies play games.

But the reality is. Some people just have it coming.

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Skepticaldriver, haha I appreciate your concern. I've been driving for Uber and Lyft full-time for the almost two years now. I have some friends who also happen to drive full-time and they insist that buying a newer car is better. Are we missing something here? Why is buying a new car so bad if rideshare driving full-time?

And yeah, I don't have any cats. I would love to have one though.

Get a 2010 Navigator
Or maybe barebones black 2013 Tahoe for Lyft LUX / SUV (no commercial plates or anything needed)

Budget $12-13k

You guys have some mad cheap Tahoes from gov't surplus, cheapest in the country for some reason

Then get a free cat on craigslist and spend the rest of your extra cash on something else.

·
Banned
1,980 Posts
Volvo xc90
Yeah sure. If its for your daughter and u want her to be safe.

Why tf would u recommend that car? Oh. So it qualifies for xl and select.

Thats so effin stupid to consider such an expensive car for this type of work.

You realize the limited no of fares for those categories wouldnt give u a good roi

Are you people high?

That og uber black guy summed it up when he chewed out that uber ceo.

All fares are in the crapper. The select market is extremely saturated One would rarely get that. The xl can sustain but only in an economic xl. Which excludes many.

Sure. Buy a heap. End up forking repair after repair.

Or maybe youre right. Im obviously on the wrong thread. I was looking for the good car suggestions for good net profit one. What i found is the how to break even after a years time of bustin your hump thread.

Everyone wants to roll in a friggin car and only do the xl select plus suv premier lux. They think theyre gonna ball because obviously everyone else is a dumbass. So why not spring for top of the line. Hell. Youre a driver now. Live the jason statham transporter dream.

Wake up. Smell reality. Fork over a fortune for the slickest ride u can. Bcuz youre smart now. Youre an independent contractor.

Let lyft and uber add your 45k car to their fleet and pimp u for rock bottom prices while at the same time flood the market with every category until yall givin premier rides to other drivers.

These companies play games.

But the reality is. Some people just have it coming.
Xc90 2008 to 2011 can be had for well under $10k so I don't know where u get it's expensive .Its the cheapest car that qualifies for select ,premier ,xl and plus . Since the title of this post is asking for advice for a car he can do select and xl in that is why I recommended it .its also pretty reliable in the 3.2 fwd model and gets over 20mpg on regular gas

If u have a better cheaper xl select car please share as that's the point of this thread

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Banned
1,980 Posts
@UberDezNut, Skepticaldriver, Adieu, Well, what do you guys think about Acura MDX 2008-2014? I just checked the prices, and they look pretty reasonable too...

It won't look as bad if you put some rims on it...

Why though?
Acura MDX is good inexpensive and somewhat reliable xl select car . Stay away from the ones with the electronic suspension it fails and it's crazy expensive to fix . Most of the really cheap MDX have the electronic suspension and the people are unloading them before they fail . Remember with the MDX it requires premium fuel also

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Tutsieroll

Ignore the haters. New is the way to go! Caddy or Bemmer! Pax love new and the tips will cover any minimal depreciation. Make sure you only give out waters and not soda and candy or gum under supervision. Go Leather as a pro tip to make vomit disappear. You will love the low maintenance!

Just remember the same boys talking used are the same ones saying I get no tips and spending time at the shop versus on the road making BIG BUCKS!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Acura MDX is good inexpensive and somewhat reliable xl select car . Stay away from the ones with the electronic suspension it fails and it's crazy expensive to fix . Most of the really cheap MDX have the electronic suspension and the people are unloading them before they fail . Remember with the MDX it requires premium fuel also
Got it. I'm probably gonna start looking for an MDX. Thanks for the info!

·
Banned
1,980 Posts
Tutsieroll

Ignore the haters. New is the way to go! Caddy or Bemmer! Pax love new and the tips will cover any minimal depreciation. Make sure you only give out waters and not soda and candy or gum under supervision. Go Leather as a pro tip to make vomit disappear. You will love the low maintenance!

Just remember the same boys talking used are the same ones saying I get no tips and spending time at the shop versus on the road making BIG BUCKS!
Beamer is a motorcycle Bimmer is a car fyi

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.