Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get a text today saying i need to get my bussiness license for hire lisence and take two tests in order to stay active and that i can refer to an email that I never got for more info. If I just google Tacoma business licence is that the one I need. Looks like its pretty expensive.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Expensive = ?

I paid $200 for the paperwork needed, fingerprinting for an FBI check, and physical including drug test.

Had I driven into the city my physical/blood test would have lowered the total cost to $150.

In TX.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
200 for the for hire licence and 125 for the business licence and then another 90 every year to renew that. Also it looks like another 200 on top of that to licence my car as a taxi cab so.. $525

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^Jealous!
I don''t get why they are just now hitting me up after 3 months of being active.
So much for that extra xmas present money.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
robofury said:
I don''t get why they are just now hitting me up after 3 months of being active.
Maybe after all the negative headlines RE: female sexual assaults across the country,
the city wants to know who is driving.

Try this link, robofury.
http://www.geekwire.com/2014/tacoma-legalizes-uber-lyft/

I see info in it you may like. Of course this is 2014 info.

JM2cW :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called and made an appointment today and they told me 25$ So i'll go in on tuesday and get it. Although the uber employee I was emailing with told me she checked my account and I didn't actually need one but this is of course after she tried to just inform me on how to upload documents and I think she might have been trying to get rid of me haha. So i'll email someone else and have them double check... When I look online for Tacoma it says I don't need one pretty much only door to door sales and adult shops need them. The county I am in does though... It's confusing. I do like that article though. Thanks for digging it up for me.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You are so welcome. :)

And remember to keep your day job! ;)

Now if I could find an insurance company that will provide me w/ commercial insurance. An accident in each of the past 2 yrs is the obstacle. :(

·
24,222 Posts
My goodness! FBI checks in Washington State and Tejas? Licences as well? Maybe some of the Authorities are listening and starting to put TNC drivers through what we have had to suffer for years. Taxed and fee-ed, except at least we are earning 2010 rates while paying 2015 taxes and fees while TNC drivers are trying to use 1970s/1980s rates to pay those 2015 taxes and fees.

Some of these rules and regulations for cab drivers were made so far in the past that modern Authorities have forgotten why they were made in the first place. As one poster has remarked, "maybe.......the [jurisdiction] wants to know who is driving" (emphasis mine). This is one reason why cab drivers in Washington have had to submit to an FBI check for years. If the FBI does the checking, if you done did somethin' in Georgia, it will show up if you try to run to Washington State.

For years, this is something that has plagued the school systems. It was a rare school system that ever required an applicant to submit to any kind of background check, let alone one done by the FBI. I do not know how many times that I have read, over the years, about a local teacher/counselor/administrator who got out of line with one, or more, of his or her charges and it turns out that this person had either been accused or proved guilty of similar somewhere else.

To be sure, some of these background check firms have been catching people who have a shady past, but they do not do as thorough a job as the FBI does.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
<------ Fingerprints already on file from a job as a civilian with the. Army. Only crime since then has been to be a person who cares too much.

·
24,222 Posts
I had assumed that your information applied to Houston, only. Still, as these things tend to gather momentum once they start, I expect that Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio Port Arthur and Galveston will follow. This goes double given the recent assault case in the Dallas-Fort Worth area where the driver produced a conterfeit vehicle licence. Uber did not do a background check on him, because it assumed that he had undergone a FBI check, as he had produced a licence that Uber had thought to be genuine. Thus, Uber did onboard him. Subsequently, he assaulted a passenger. Turns out that he would not have passed the Uber background check. Uber did de-activate him immediately.

I posted something about it on one of these driver misconduct topics somewhere, but I forget where, now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts