Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so here is what happened

got a ping on 4th in Santa Monica
head over there, the couple I am picking up looks just like their lovely photo and they are ready for me right there at the bus stop, so I pull in, they jump in and we pull out

short ride, sweet couple, and now a week later I receive a ticket in the mail for parking in a red zone
$63

how?

no clue but when asking around I was informed that the buses now have cameras, front and back and if you are there when they arrive or pull out, they take a photo of your plate and bingo, you get a nice ticket in the mail

you can contest these but after reading up on that, fat chance or such a low percentage that gets their money back, I will try to avoid that scammy City of Santa Monica like the plague

don't say I didn't warn ya!!!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I got a ticket there from a cop last week. I *****ed about it here on the forum, I still dont know how much..people say a 1000 bucks. I was pulled over by a motorcycle cop. I refuse to Uber in S. M. last night I dropped a pass there after turned app off and hauled ass out of there.

·
Registered
321 Posts
so here is what happened

head over there, the couple I am picking up looks just like their lovely photo and they are ready for me right there at the bus stop, so I pull in, they jump in and we pull out

short ride, sweet couple, and now a week later I receive a ticket in the mail for parking in a red zone
$63

how?

no clue but when asking around I was informed that the buses now have cameras, front and back and if you are there when they arrive or pull out, they take a photo of your plate and bingo, you get a nice ticket in the mail

you can contest these but after reading up on that, fat chance or such a low percentage that gets their money back, I will try to avoid that scammy City of Santa Monica like the plague

I got a ticket in downtown for blocking a bus zone like 3 weeks ago. I didn't even see the cop parked behind me. So my $4 ride now became a -$70 ride. Great. Stay away from the bus stops.

·
Registered
816 Posts
so here is what happened

You can see pax photo now? I'll pick up people that look like they tip! My experience is that Armenians and out of town older people tip, millennial scum never tip and if they are super liberal millennial forget about it, they will take advantage of you!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
You can see pax photo now? I'll pick up people that look like they tip! My experience is that Armenians and out of town older people tip, millennial scum never tip and if they are super liberal millennial forget about it, they will take advantage of you!
I only see generic green headshot silhouette square avatar on all my pickups.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I got a ticket in downtown for blocking a bus zone like 3 weeks ago. I didn't even see the cop parked behind me. So my $4 ride now became a -$70 ride. Great. Stay away from the bus stops.
How much was your ticket? 70? I just got one also in the bus lane...curious how much. Some say over a 1000 bucks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How much was your ticket? 70? I just got one also in the bus lane...curious how much. Some say over a 1000 bucks.
this wasn't a bus lane, just one of those cut outs on 4th, you pull to the right - $63

·
Registered
77 Posts
On Lyft you can.

·
Registered
104 Posts
As a new driver this is something I am very weary about and I am trying to figure the best way to handle it. I don't want a ticket, and I want to be a safe driver, but for example the other night I was driving Sunset Blvd and you guys know there is hardly even a red curb to pull over to on busy nights. I try and tell people I need a safe place to pull over to let them out, but at the same time in real crowded parts of the city on Fri/Sat nights a place to pull over can be a block past their destination. Sometimes I worry too because literally the only place to pull over is a red curb with a hydrant, or some other area you are not supposed to be stopping in. I see other drivers doing it all the time in Hollywood etc, but still I'm just convinced some night I'm going to be ticketed for letting out pax in a bad spot.

I guess what I need to do is man up and tell these poeple sorry but you gotta get out in a safe place even if it's farther than you like. Pickups are also a problem sometimes. On my first day I had a guy who was mad because traffic was so thick it took me 10 mins to get the 3 blocks down Bundy to him. He's at corner of Olympic and Bundy and tells me to get in the turn lane and he will hop in, because god forbid he walk fifteen yards up the road while I am dead stuck in traffic. So I see the guy standing up there, get a green light and he actually makes me pull up to him and stop in the crosswalk with a green light going while he got in. REALLY stupid of me to do this I know, but my first day as a driver and my 2nd ride ever. I should have canceled right away because his pickup location was a block from where he really was, and he wouldn't stop calling me asking where I was and telling me he was late, and he wouldn't even walk a couple yards up the road so he could get in while I was completely stopped in traffic trying to get that last 45 feet to him.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
he wouldn't stop calling me asking where I was and telling me he was late
that right there is your clue to his entitlement and you should just turn the other way and drive off (he will cancel)
remember: minimum fares are not worth a ticket or a headache or a crash

your car, your rules

1 - 20 of 27 Posts