Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of trying to build a full time business using the Uber Platform as a way to build my clients. I will be marketing other ways as well, but will depend on Uber for a major part. I would also probably do Lyft as well. My understanding that Uber only allows this if you do Uber Black. As a result I have a few questions.

Is Uber Black open to new drivers in Jax? If not can I still build clients on XL? (I'm currently approved for the XL platform). I have the ability to buy my own car for Black if needed, but I have also seen some comments about driving for someone who is already approved for Uber Black. They way I understand it I basically rent the car from the person. I'm not sure if that's correct, or even if that makes sense doing? What I don't want is to be an employee for anyone. This is the reason I'm looking to make this change.

I don't want to get into anyone business, but can someone give me a realistic idea of what you may earn in a year? Also, what expenses that I may incur which I may not be thinking about? I know fuel, insurance, getting approved by the city and the port are the big ones, but what else may I be missing? Lastly, I will be running my business from St. Johns County, but will be doing most of my business in Jax. Do I need to get approved in St. Johns along with Duval?

Thanks for any input anyone has. I have been thinking about this for sometime, but to go full-time is a pretty big move for me as I have a wife and two kids to support so I want to make sure I have as much information as possible before making the move.

·
Registered
922 Posts
If last night was anything like what you might be looking forward to - run don't walk in the opposite direction. There were sooo many black cars on the road last night it was insane. Today reality is that there are Uber X drivers out there complaining about over saturation for rides that average $8. Imagine what oversaturation feels like when the average ride is $18 . Uber X rides outnumber Black Car rides 100 to 1. So for every 100 X drivers you'd expect that one Black Car driver would have enough requests to survive. Well last night there were 30 or more black car drivers on the road - just try & multiply that out. Competition between Uber Black drivers and the lack of demand for Uber Black drivers today feels as bad as it would feel if Jax had 2-3000 Uber X drivers on the road at the same time. Black Car drivers work 24 hours a day to survive. Black Car Drivers not only struggle amongst themselves to get rides - they also have to compete with Uber X 24 hours a day. There was a golden moment in time to be a Black Car Driver in Jax but Jax is not Miami, Chicago or New York, & there is a VERY LIMITED pool of requests that are occurring daily. I know of several Uber Black drivers that have sold their cars and moved out of this market because the demand just can't support the supply. At one time many Black Car drivers were renting cars from other Black Car drivers - not today, Black Car drivers today are struggling owner operators because those that had to pay $350 a week for rent got tired of coming out at the end of the day - in debt to the car owner. The Golden moment has long since past - I'd reconsider your business plan and look for something that doesn't demand your attention 24 hours a day - and a city that has an adequate demand for the product you're offering. Jax is not it, that's for sure! JaxBeachDriver

·
Registered
922 Posts
FYI... Saint John's county will not allow you to get a business license for a limo/ sedan business unless you have a commercial space to call home. Limo/Sedan companies in St.Johns are STRICTLY PROHIBITED in residential areas because of the parking, traffic, complaints that go along with them. So make sure you factor in a commercial space that the zoning officer can come and inspect. St. John's county is not Duval. If I had a wife and two kids there is no way I'd risk it. Not a chance- they can shut that phone app off anytime and leave you hanging- unless you've got another income supporting your business venture, again, I say reconsider. JaxBeachDriver

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mrs. Uber Jax - Thanks for the feedback. The concerns you mentioned are somethings I had thought about it. I have a good income now, but very stressful job. Sounds like Black may have as much stress, but not as much money. I still plan to do Uber XL the legal way, but may hold off before making any real changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts