Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new driver in Atlanta. Last night, I had a bad experience picking people up at the Buckhead area. So, anyway, I arrived to the bar/club location to pick up the passengers. But the night club was too busy and may people were pushed into the streets and I could not pull my car in front of the night club. As I arrived All 6 people opened all of my car doors at once to get into my small Toyota Corolla. I loudly said, I CAN ONLY TAKE 4 INTO MY CAR. And the rest needs to get another Uber car. However, they insisted that they can all fit into my car by sitting on each other’s lap. But I firmly said NO. So, they walked away leaving all my car doors open in the middle of the busy street. I had to literally get out of my car to close every single door. One of them spoke vulgar speech to me using F….words for not accommodating 6 people into my car. I said this is my car and I can legally fit only 4 people. Their reasoning was previous driver allowed 6 people to fit into his little car. So his reasoning was why can’t I. Does this kind of things frequently happen driving for Uber? Would this kind of incident have been prevented if all drivers kept this in mind and said NO to over cramming the car.

What do you think? Please share your opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've had the same thing happen to me at Turner Field. Only one of the five drunk phat boy looking mofos started to mouth off at me but he felt the need to first insult me and then my car. I had to restrain myself by thinking, " forgive them lord for they would not be so mouthy if the knew how many ways I can murder their asses." I also took comfort in the cancellation fee I got from them.

My advice is to stick to your guns wait five minutes to cancel, then move on to the next ride.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had the same thing happen to me at Turner Field. Only one of the five drunk phat boy looking mofos started to mouth off at me but he felt the need to first insult me and then my car. I had to restrain myself by thinking, " forgive them lord for they would not be so mouthy if the knew how many ways I can murder their asses." I also took comfort in the cancellation fee I got from them.

My advice is to stick to your guns wait five minutes to cancel, then move on to the next ride.
All of this is new to me and I am tring to do my best. But don't understand how people can be so rude. I know this is nothing compared to what other people experience driving for Uber..... Thanks for your advice....

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am a new driver in Atlanta. Last night, I had a bad experience picking people up at the Buckhead area. So, anyway, I arrived to the bar/club location to pick up the passengers. But the night club was too busy and may people were pushed into the streets and I could not pull my car in front of the night club. As I arrived All 6 people opened all of my car doors at once to get into my small Toyota Corolla. I loudly said, I CAN ONLY TAKE 4 INTO MY CAR. And the rest needs to get another Uber car. However, they insisted that they can all fit into my car by sitting on each other's lap. But I firmly said NO. So, they walked away leaving all my car doors open in the middle of the busy street. I had to literally get out of my car to close every single door. One of them spoke vulgar speech to me using F….words for not accommodating 6 people into my car. I said this is my car and I can legally fit only 4 people. Their reasoning was previous driver allowed 6 people to fit into his little car. So his reasoning was why can't I. Does this kind of things frequently happen driving for Uber? Would this kind of incident have been prevented if all drivers kept this in mind and said NO to over cramming the car.

I have been driving for almost 2 and a half years, and these things do happen. I know its easier said then done, but try not to let these instances get in the way of your outlook on driving. Most passengers are great but you do have some jerks out there, and you handled this one well. I drive XL and I have only had one experience where more then 6 passengers got in the van. I wasn't paying attention and by the time I started driving away I noticed one extra head in my rear view mirror. It was late at night and they were going to Buckhead from Acworth so I was hoping a cop didn't notice it. The funny thing is when we got to their destination I counted 8 people climbing out. At least it was surging and I made $80 off the run, but I have been much more attentive since that night.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am a new driver in Atlanta. Last night, I had a bad experience picking people up at the Buckhead area. So, anyway, I arrived to the bar/club location to pick up the passengers. But the night club was too busy and may people were pushed into the streets and I could not pull my car in front of the night club. As I arrived All 6 people opened all of my car doors at once to get into my small Toyota Corolla. I loudly said, I CAN ONLY TAKE 4 INTO MY CAR. And the rest needs to get another Uber car. However, they insisted that they can all fit into my car by sitting on each other's lap. But I firmly said NO. So, they walked away leaving all my car doors open in the middle of the busy street. I had to literally get out of my car to close every single door. One of them spoke vulgar speech to me using F….words for not accommodating 6 people into my car. I said this is my car and I can legally fit only 4 people. Their reasoning was previous driver allowed 6 people to fit into his little car. So his reasoning was why can't I. Does this kind of things frequently happen driving for Uber? Would this kind of incident have been prevented if all drivers kept this in mind and said NO to over cramming the car.

You did the right thing.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Also, it's good to keep your doors locked until you are ready to let pax in.
Agreed. I ask these words first please confirm the name on the account?. ( you may encounter from time to time the wrong person trying to get in your car especially at big events). Then ask how many people are there?. I do x and xl. I am sure my fellow xl drivers have had this happen to them. They request an x you arrive, more than 4 try to get in so you say yes I can take you guys however it will be at the higher rate. The passenger then asks why your already here. Just ask again, how many?. 4=x price per mile 5+ = xl price per mile. Then usually the least drunk person in the group will tell the drunk to just pay the difference already.
Don't let it get you down, you did the right thing.
good luck.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Also, it's good to keep your doors locked until you are ready to let pax in.
No better advice than this.

Drop someone off= doors locked immediately (commit this act to muscle memory)

At arrival, roll down window (preferably passenger side) make sure account holder is correct, # of passengers, and general demeanor. This is your chance to cancel for ANY reason that makes you feel uncomfortable. Once your satisfied= doors unlocked.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No better advice than this.

Drop someone off= doors locked immediately (commit this act to muscle memory)

At arrival, roll down window (preferably passenger side) make sure account holder is correct, # of passengers, and general demeanor. This is your chance to cancel for ANY reason that makes you feel uncomfortable. Once your satisfied= doors unlocked.
Sage advice, I dont drive at night glad I dont have to deal with this issue

·
Registered
107 Posts
Main reason I don't do the buckhead bar scene......you also can report the pax to uber by saying you had a serious passenger concern in the app......if more than 4 gets in on a X ride... I can get the fare adjusted with Uber....but not with Lyft....I am not playing those games with these pax!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agreed. I ask these words first please confirm the name on the account?. ( you may encounter from time to time the wrong person trying to get in your car especially at big events). Then ask how many people are there?. I do x and xl. I am sure my fellow xl drivers have had this happen to them. They request an x you arrive, more than 4 try to get in so you say yes I can take you guys however it will be at the higher rate. The passenger then asks why your already here. Just ask again, how many?. 4=x price per mile 5+ = xl price per mile. Then usually the least drunk person in the group will tell the drunk to just pay the difference already.
Don't let it get you down, you did the right thing.
good luck.
If you have more than 4 passengers, after you drop them off, go to that fare click help then fare review and explain that you picked more than 4 passengers and Uber will adjust the fare as XL, you will get paid the right fa5

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
If you have more than 4 passengers, after you drop them off, go to that fare click help then fare review and explain that you picked more than 4 passengers and Uber will adjust the fare as XL, you will get paid the right fa5
They didn't change it for me the one time I tried. Reason stated 'I didn't have an XL class vehicle'.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Yes that's what I do and uber normally send a thank you for doing it this way rather than canceling. It is always polite and proper to ask before charging the customer more. Don't want to give them another reason to complain. ( my driver never told me it would cost more). Be a good driver and hopefully you will get more good than bad customers. Hopefully!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.