Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,

So frustrating driving in Madison. I don't expect to get Surge when I am in a surge zone (obviously customers can wait it out and drivers can flood the area), but for crying out loud I was in the surging areas this morning and I wasn't even getting pings for normal rates! Just sat around with my thumb up my keister. Said screw it, went to Woodman's got some food, turned the app on the way home and still zero requests.

What a joke surge is.

It is the plural of ridiculous...Rediculi

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have never chased the surge, but I have definitely been in a surge zone before it surged, during, and after without getting a ping. Definitely frustrating. Then last night I picked someone up from the airport, took them to Fairfield Inn on greenway blvd, got another ride request as I was driving him which turned out to be people at the Fairfield, and that second ride was a surge ride.

It's seriously just luck. 100% luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got a ride from the airport last night at 2.6x, looks like after I got that ride it went up even higher too. I'm guessing a lot of drivers just were not out on the 4th?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
On Tuesday I got a surge ride originating at the airport. Not much of a surge (1.5) and not much of a fare (only $15 into Sun Prairie), but still I think the fact that Uber now allows surges at the airport is promising.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree, surging at the airport will be good if it keeps happening. I have noticed that since it started surging more it seems like more drivers are waiting there for a ride. Went there a few nights ago and there were 8 cars waiting with their app on. 8!

Also, do people not check the arrivals schedule at the airport? I see people sitting there when I know for a fact another plane doesn't land for another 45 minutes or more.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
What I really hate about that flight arrival data is that once a plane lands, it just says "Arrived", and not when it arrived. So you don't know if it arrived on time, or an hour late, or two hours early, so there's no way to tell if there's any point to waiting around for passengers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since Ubers can't hang out in the commercial lane at the airport anymore, it seems less drivers are in the area. I get calls to the airport when I'm on E. Washington. This also might me why it surges there now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I figured out pretty quickly not to chase the surge. If I'm already in the area I will stay where I am. If I'm not in the area, I try to figure out where the drivers are leaving from to go to the current surge. If the first surge is downtown, I will go to the west side or even to Middleton, because that's where all the drivers just left and it often surges there a few minutes later. Otherwise I just let it go, and eventually I just get a surge. Sometimes there isn't a surge right away after a big event. That's because drivers are already there waiting. Wait outside the area about 15 minutes after the first wave of drivers leave, then there's usually a surge.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
why can't we hang out at the airport now?
We can. We just can't hang out in that 20' parking lane across from the terminal. We have to hang out in the cell phone lot. Personally, I think it's an improvement -- I don't know how many times I've gotten pinged and then I could find space to stop and wait for the pax across from door 3.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts