Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had planned to speak at the Broward County Commission Meeting on 08/11/15.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I had to leave the chamber just as my name was called.

Here is what I had planned to say:

Monday (08/10/15) night NBC6 (WTVJ-Miami) ran a story regarding this issue. As part
of the story a young woman who works at Gulfstream Park was highlighted.

According to her, each night after work she must walk one mile south into Miami-Dade
County where she can then have Uber pick her up. She fears giving up her job if Uber
does not return to Broward County.

As I watched the story I wondered how this woman got to and from her job one year
ago, before Uber. Public transportation? Kindness of friends? Walking? Heaven forbid,
a taxicab?

This is just another story that would have you believe that Uber is the cure for all that ails you.
At every Commission Meeting the pro-Uber contingent has regaled us with tales about
how their lives are so much better thanks to Uber. It's all rainbow and unicorns.

Look, Ma, I can walk again. Thank you, Uber!

It appears that we are ready to replace a substantial New York cut steak with cotton
candy. If I read the proposals correctly (I am, after all, just a smelly cab driver)
it appears the Commissioners would have Uber self regulating with little oversight.
A spectacular idea considering Uber's track record of transparency, truth telling and
cooperation.

When I trust someone the first thing I do is get a half million dollar insurance
policy to protect myself from them.

"If they do the wrong thing and break the law, we come down on them like a ton of bricks,
like we would anyone else. That's it.'' (Commissioner Chip LaMarca 04/28/15)

How's that geofence at the airport coming along?

A friend of mine did read the LaMarca quote during his presentation.

·
Registered
206 Posts
"If they do the wrong thing and break the law, we come down on them like a ton of bricks,
like we would anyone else. That's it.'' (Commissioner Chip LaMarca 04/28/15)
I can see the real reason his construction and contacting business where in trouble / apparently his bricks are styrofoam

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Chip LaMarca is a BroCo boy... he loves Fort Lauderdale above anything. He listens to the people and businesses of Fort Lauderdale and no one else. Due to this he tends to not listen to reason and make decisions and comments that make no sense at times. BUT on the other hand he is a decent person that will listen to you and give you the time of day, some others will not. I like the guy because when I met him I was applying to work for the county, he had positive comments and good information. There isn't a politician anywhere that is one hundred percent because that person doesn't exist. Hal Valeche is my contact now that I live in PBC. Politics are interesting as long as you not not winded in what you talk about.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Chip lamarca is a stone cold fool. Who has drank the cool aid. He feels über is the answer? When do people wake up and realize if taxi business was such a mess he was the problem that never took any action all these years. Broward has always had a way to file a complaint yellow cab does also this survey will a good thing but the thing is these commissioners are not commissioners or hers they are cowards bowing to kiss the uber ring

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
self regulating is a bunch of BS. We had a 4.1 driver in the biggest piece of unsafe crap car come to pick us up, he said he has been driving for 9 months and no one has complained but we refused and sent him on his way

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
self regulating is a bunch of BS. We had a 4.1 driver in the biggest piece of unsafe crap car come to pick us up, he said he has been driving for 9 months and no one has complained but we refused and sent him on his way
What are the taxi driver's ratings like?

·
Registered
652 Posts
What are the taxi driver's ratings like?
Taxi drivers get to keep driving even if their rating falls below 2.0 on a scale of 1 to 5. As long as they keep paying their lease they are good to drive. I did hear that they are now required to take a shower and change their clothes at least once a week, but am not sure if most are doing this, or how it is controlled. With Uber like ratings most cab drivers would be out of a job in a VERY short time.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Taxi drivers get to keep driving even if their rating falls below 2.0 on a scale of 1 to 5.
Taxi drivers are not numerically rated. A good driver can tell what kind of job he is doing by the tips he receives, just like an Uber driver...oops, sorry!

I did here that that are now required...
Cab drivers often HEAR things about happenings HERE and there about this and THAT THAT.

... required to take a shower and change their clothes at least once a week...
Straight out of the Uber script. Has the word "smelly" been removed? That's the favorite word used at the Commission hearings.

With Uber most cab drivers would be out of a job in a VERY short time.
With Uber, all sides will be out of a decent paying job soon...except Travis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts