Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday 3rd March 2017 - 3:30am

On route with a passenger onboard, it's alleged the Uber driver nodded off (micro-slept) for a brief moment resulting in the traveling motor vehicle to end up on the other side of the road and side swipe a parked vehicle. It's disappointing to see the public's reaction as they neglecting to see the clear issue of driver conditions and responsibilities whereby a typical driver working for cheap fares must operate hours far beyond what is reasonable.

image.jpg

Do you have more details on this story?

This bring to light the clear inadequacy shown in regards to driver training around fatigue education and management amongst the ridesourcing community. All other regulated sectors hold the booking/operating agency accountable as well as the professional driver themselves. There is no such existence or education regarding fatigue with Uber and the majority of casual ridesourcing drivers.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Turns out the damaged Commodore ute is another separate incident where an Uber car damaged a parked vehicle. We'll leave the image in the story for indicative purposes only for now.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Doesn't surprise me.
After 'going offline' after 10 hours of driving Uber asks me "Are you sure you want to go offline? You are $16 away from $200".

So Uber are actively encouraging some drivers to push the limits.
You are kicking butt
After 23 hours online for the day uber asks me "you are $20 dollars from contributing $200 to Travis's next billion dollars, are you sure you won't to log off?"

·
Registered
779 Posts
You are kicking butt
After 23 hours online for the day uber asks me "you are $20 dollars from contributing $200 to Travis's next billion dollars, are you sure you won't to log off?"
Screenshot it next time you see it and show the media what Uber do next time someone gets seriously injured or worse.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It happens to me most Friday Saturday nights doing 13+ hours as I have to match pre-rates cuts earnings to pay bills, which I was making in less than 8 hours, ones I narrowly missed oncoming car.

·
Banned
958 Posts
Stage 2 regs where they hold Uber accountable for driver training and fatigue management will be interesting.
Easy technology solutions to lockout drivers after x hours online (accumulative between x and x) and then lock them out for x hours.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Easy technology solutions to lockout drivers after x hours online (accumulative between x and x) and then lock them out for x hours.
Technologically its fairly easy to program into the equation, yet we all know Uber will struggle to implement such automation i.e. large events where capacity of drivers are encouraged on to the platform for drop offs to the event and pick ups afterwards would mean a large portion of drivers could potentially be held offline the following day leaving the Uber system failing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Responsibility ought rest with driver, not with Uber. Unless of course you want your ability to make choices legislated away.

I am sn Aussie driver here in Tennessee and thankfully we can work extended hours when it counts on the weekends. When I get tired I simply pull over somewhere safe and sleep.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is an example of new issues you will face. Here in TN Lyft forces drivers offline for 6 hours after 14 hours. Now that 14 hours begins when the App goes online into driver mode. You may not get any pings or you may take a 5 hour rest offline. Yet the 14 hours requires 6 offline in a row.

On a weekend I can work 10 hours then 5 off then another 10 followed by a day off with Uber. Not so with Lyft due to the timeout requirement.

By forcing rules due to the irresponsibilty of some drivers you are only limiting yourselves in the long run.

Not that I am telling aussies what to do, the culture is different there and is much more Nanny State oriented. I am just giving food for thought having exprrienced life in both countries.

Thanks.

Many States in the USA already lock drivers out after so many hours. Some allow only 10 hours online in any 24 hour period. Thankfully I reside in a right to work state where both workers and employers have a lot of freedoms. Not saying it is perfect but for Uber it would be an untenable full time gig if it were restricted like other places.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Here is an example of new issues you will face. Here in TN Lyft forces drivers offline for 6 hours after 14 hours. Now that 14 hours begins when the App goes online into driver mode. You may not get any pings or you may take a 5 hour rest offline. Yet the 14 hours requires 6 offline in a row.

On a weekend I can work 10 hours then 5 off then another 10 followed by a day off with Uber. Not so with Lyft due to the timeout requirement.

By forcing rules due to the irresponsibilty of some drivers you are only limiting yourselves in the long run.

Not that I am telling aussies what to do, the culture is different there and is much more Nanny State oriented. I am just giving food for thought having exprrienced life in both countries.

Thanks.

Many States in the USA already lock drivers out after so many hours. Some allow only 10 hours online in any 24 hour period. Thankfully I reside in a right to work state where both workers and employers have a lot of freedoms. Not saying it is perfect but for Uber it would be an untenable full time gig if it were restricted like other places.
With your optimism and disdain of regulations, I see you being a perfect fit for unfettered capitalism in a third world country like I don't know, India or maybe Zimbabwe.

The free market koolaid is in strong force with you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With your optimism and disdain of regulations, I see you being a perfect fit for unfettered capitalism in a third world country like I don't know, India or maybe Zimbabwe.

The free market koolaid is in strong force with you.
Did you have anything actually constructive to add?

A strawman generalisation is a pretty weak retort and adds nothing to the discussion.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's already very clear that some existing drivers need to be saved from themselves. Such regulations put a generalised safety standard in place that will benefit the safety of the public whether that suits the driver or not.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
It's already very clear that some existing drivers need to be saved from themselves. Such regulations put a generalised safety standard in place that will benefit the safety of the public whether that suits the driver or not.
I think everyone on this forum needs to be saved from themselves?
Barring SUD as not worth saving

1 - 15 of 15 Posts