Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe if there had been half the number of drivers on the roads, my afternoon and evening might have borne more relation to the messages Uber Central was sending me.
"Get set for a busy night"
Demand is beginning to INCREASE!"
"It's going to be crazy busy…"

Yeah, right.

It's about 0230 right now, and I'm at home contemplating the crazy busy scenario on my rider app. Lots and lots of cars all over Canberra, and doubtless they are getting jobs right now, but if I were to go out I'd be competing my little heart out for the worst of the drunks. No thanks.

I always tell my passengers that Uber has their needs squarely in mind. And it's true. The passengers are paying the way. My fares yesterday found that I was right there in front of their phone within seconds rather than minutes, because there were so many cars on the road, to be the closest to the pickup meant being within a block or so.

And I'm sure that's continuing right now. My pax app is showing a 4 minute pickup time, and there are so many cars in Civic and Braddon (I live in Reid) I can't count them all.

Tremendous word of mouth.

But what's good for the passengers isn't necessarily good for the drivers. I take Uber's messages with a double dose of salt. They are a wee bit over the top for my liking, and if they spur more drivers out onto the road, then it just makes it harder for individuals. I prefer to set my own times and places. The times I prefer to drive are precisely the ones when Uber isn't geeing me on.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Maybe if there had been half the number of drivers on the roads, my afternoon and evening might have borne more relation to the messages Uber Central was sending me.

Yeah, right.

It's about 0230 right now, and I'm at home contemplating the crazy busy scenario on my rider app. Lots and lots of cars all over Canberra, and doubtless they are getting jobs right now, but if I were to go out I'd be competing my little heart out for the worst of the drunks. No thanks.

I always tell my passengers that Uber has their needs squarely in mind. And it's true. The passengers are paying the way. My fares yesterday found that I was right there in front of their phone within seconds rather than minutes, because there were so many cars on the road, to be the closest to the pickup meant being within a block or so.

And I'm sure that's continuing right now. My pax app is showing a 4 minute pickup time, and there are so many cars in Civic and Braddon (I live in Reid) I can't count them all.

But what's good for the passengers isn't necessarily good for the drivers. I take Uber's messages with a double dose of salt. They are a wee bit over the top for my liking, and if they spur more drivers out onto the road, then it just makes it harder for individuals. I prefer to set my own times and places. The times I prefer to drive are precisely the ones when Uber isn't geeing me on.
I like the message we just got in Dallas the night of the tornadoes, "demand is off the charts and if higher earnings is what u desire get out there and drive". Never a warning to be careful of check your radio for weather dangers. Most of the time the text messages are just after the demand has occurred or they are predicting a spike later on. It's annoying, but that's the uber way!

·
Registered
332 Posts
11 rides and 1 no show with a top fare of 33.76 because of a 2.5x surge in 12 hours. All the while Uber are spamming me with "have a coffee break" and
"Head into Civic now!" texts, hyping this NYE beyond belief! I was was half tempted to reply back with "who writes this garbage?' but I bet the text number is unmonitored.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Actually during my 12 hour shift since 3pm yesterday and ending at 3am - I picked up 20 passengers totally $316.30

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's pretty good, should always be like that. Obviously, it won't be in the coming weekends unfortunately.
Canberra slows right down in January. Parliament's off for a long break, likewise the university students and the military cadets. Half the public service heads off to the coast. A few festivals, a few tourists, but most of these folk bring their cars with them.

Missing Texas. I could do with a frosty mug of Shiner Bock about now.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nah mate, I drive a SUV - Honda CRV, wasn't sitting at Joliment Centre
Of course. I had the portals to myself. There was a guy in a black 4WD, plain as day on the map. He wasn't moving up along with the cabs using the pick up/drop off zone as an impromptu rank, so I snuck in ahead of him, closer to the door.

No bloody luck, however.

·
Registered
125 Posts
don't bother sitting at Joliment, you won't get much luck but let alone get one or two pax over the 12 hour period. Keep driving.

Of course. I had the portals to myself. There was a guy in a black 4WD, plain as day on the map. He wasn't moving up along with the cabs using the pick up/drop off zone as an impromptu rank, so I snuck in ahead of him, closer to the door.

No bloody luck, however.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Yeah, right.

Agree - it's uberrific for our riders!! Drivers ..... Not so much, but I'm still having fun, even if not "crazy busy" haha

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yep, breathless texting flooded the market with drivers I reckon.

It worked as a disincentive to me. I got a text at 1:27 saying there would be high surge fares all the way to 4-5PM. So, at 3:00, after an hour with no surge on the map and no fare for quite while, I figured it was all bollocks and went home.

Reality was nowhere near bonanza level. Almost half my takings were from a single 3.3 surge fare out to Nicholls. If you missed that sort of thing, it would have been direly dull.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yep, breathless texting flooded the market with drivers I reckon.

It worked as a disincentive to me. I got a text at 1:27 saying there would be high surge fares all the way to 4-5PM. So, at 3:00, after an hour with no surge on the map and no fare for quite while, I figured it was all bollocks and went home.

Reality was nowhere near bonanza level. Almost half my takings were from a single 3.3 surge fare out to Nicholls. If you missed that sort of thing, it would have been direly dull.
Surge High Five !! I missed them all :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got 2 texts saying that Canberra is getting incredibly busy today and that it will stay like this during the week end. Is that right?

They keep telling me that they miss me cause I haven't driven in 2 weeks, so nice of them! But I'm just waiting for the Canberra office to confirm my rwc inspection :rolleyes:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I got 2 texts saying that Canberra is getting incredibly busy today and that it will stay like this during the week end. Is that right?

They keep telling me that they miss me cause I haven't driven in 2 weeks, so nice of them! But I'm just waiting for the Canberra office to confirm my rwc inspection :rolleyes:
I didn't get any texts and haven't driven all week. Maybe they figure I'm out because it is my incentive period :confused: I'll let you know if I get a text tomoz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts