Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Uberpool starts in Boston today. Lets share our experiences with Boston's Uberpool here. The good and the bad.
I guess you don't opt in - they just stick it to you huh? I plan on going out today. Let us know how you like it - that is if you are making more $$ or less. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess less - cause if they save you don't.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to the Boston orientation on Uberpool. I suspect you will make less hourly money, and, your rating will decline, with Uberpool with the current amount of riders. If the amount of riders increases with Uberpools reduced rate (for the rider), then that could change.

IMO, there's a fixed number of riders out on a given night. And the vast majority of them, if not all of them, are getting serviced by Uber when they request it. So, delivering two at a time means there will be more down time between trips, and not more trips in total. Also, Uber encourages you to cancel the second rider if they are not in the car in 2 minutes. This means no cancellation fee (because you cancelled before 5 minutes), more time spent on the total trip, more miles spent on the total trip, and probably an annoyed first rider for the delay and perhaps the extra charges they now incur for the extra time and distance. Also, I suspect there will be times when rider 1 and rider 2 are not compatible personalities, experience a bad trip, and rate you poorly as a result.

As my grandma said, the proof is in the pudding. That's why I asked for Uberpool experience feedback.
John

·
Registered
35 Posts
[QUOTE="Also, Uber encourages you to cancel the second rider if they are not in the car in 2 minutes. This means no cancellation fee (because you cancelled before 5 minutes)[/QUOTE]

Incorrect, You get the cancellation fee after 2 minutes for the second rider, instead of five.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I went to the Boston orientation on Uberpool. I suspect you will make less hourly money, and, your rating will decline, with Uberpool with the current amount of riders. If the amount of riders increases with Uberpools reduced rate (for the rider), then that could change.

IMO, there's a fixed number of riders out on a given night. And the vast majority of them, if not all of them, are getting serviced by Uber when they request it. So, delivering two at a time means there will be more down time between trips, and not more trips in total. Also, Uber encourages you to cancel the second rider if they are not in the car in 2 minutes. This means no cancellation fee (because you cancelled before 5 minutes), more time spent on the total trip, more miles spent on the total trip, and probably an annoyed first rider for the delay and perhaps the extra charges they now incur for the extra time and distance. Also, I suspect there will be times when rider 1 and rider 2 are not compatible personalities, experience a bad trip, and rate you poorly as a result.

As my grandma said, the proof is in the pudding. That's why I asked for Uberpool experience feedback.
John
Just another case of getting the 2nd pax going even further out then you wanted too. Less dead miles, worse feedback yeah and more ways for something to go wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
[QUOTE="Also, Uber encourages you to cancel the second rider if they are not in the car in 2 minutes. This means no cancellation fee (because you cancelled before 5 minutes)
Incorrect, You get the cancellation fee after 2 minutes for the second rider, instead of five.[/QUOTE]

What's your source of information? I hope you're right. But that's not what the Uber rep told me. We should find out soon.
John

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did not go to the Boston orientation on Uberpool. I did email a few questions to Uber Partner Support and below is a copy of an emil I sent to Uber Boston ant the response I received. The words id red are her's (but I colored them) It is worth noting that the reply came from Uber Support in general, not Uber Boston Specifically. I do not know if the $5.00 cancellation fee instead of $10.00 is because of UberPool or if the CSR did not know Boston is $10.00. I suspect the former.

At any rate, you can be sure I will wait the full minutes in order to get the cancellation fee ($.80 is better than $.21 plus you will get the $.21 from the first pax). The first pax will get pissed, and either email negative feedback to Uber or learn to they get what they pay for and return to using UberX. Not worried about my rating it can easily survive the inevitable hit(s).

Aug 4, 07:14

Hi,

Regarding Uber Pool,

- Is the fare structure the same as for UberX?

- The video advises that the Uber Pool rates are the same as UberX, if I cancel/no-showed after two minutes as the video instructs, will I receive the $10.00 cancellation fee?

- If not, will I receive it after five minutes?

- How are tolls and airport surcharges treated? Will I receive the UberX fee from each rider?

Thanks for clarifying these points.

Joseph
Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Aileen (Uber Partner Support)

Aug 4, 10:34

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for writing in! Happy to help explain! The final fare you see at the end of your uberPOOL trip will be your gross total for the whole ride. It includes the time you spent from the time you picked up your first rider to the time you make your final drop off, and both riders split that fare. It will looks as two separate fares, one right after the other, in your dashboard.

On a normal uberX trip, you would pick up and drop off your first rider and then wait for a second pickup to begin. With uberPOOL, you will be getting paid for that time you spend on your way to pick up the second rider.

As a courtesy to the co-rider, you'll only need to wait two minutes for the second requestor to arrive. Since you're paid for the time and mileage spent to pick up the match, a cancellation fee will not be charged in the event that the second passenger cancels or no shows. The fare is still calculating from when you picked up the first rider, which ensures that you are compensated for that time.

If you wait at least 5 minutes, yes, you will be compensated the $5 fee (not $10).

As for tolls and aiport fees, in most cases, tolls are automatically added to the fare. No Uber fee is taken from the toll reimbursement, so you'll always get the full amount based on the local toll pass rates. Keep in mind that since Uber is a cashless experience for the rider and they are already being charged for the toll in their fare, they should not pay the toll during the trip.

Thanks and if you have any other questions, just let me know.

Best,

Aileen
help.uber.com

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not go to the Boston orientation on Uberpool. I did email a few questions to Uber Partner Support and below is a copy of an emil I sent to Uber Boston ant the response I received. The words id red are her's (but I colored them) It is worth noting that the reply came from Uber Support in general, not Uber Boston Specifically. I do not know if the $5.00 cancellation fee instead of $10.00 is because of UberPool or if the CSR did not know Boston is $10.00. I suspect the former.

At any rate, you can be sure I will wait the full minutes in order to get the cancellation fee ($.80 is better than $.21 plus you will get the $.21 from the first pax). The first pax will get pissed, and either email negative feedback to Uber or learn to they get what they pay for and return to using UberX. Not worried about my rating it can easily survive the inevitable hit(s).

Aug 4, 07:14

Hi,

Regarding Uber Pool,

- Is the fare structure the same as for UberX?

- The video advises that the Uber Pool rates are the same as UberX, if I cancel/no-showed after two minutes as the video instructs, will I receive the $10.00 cancellation fee?

- If not, will I receive it after five minutes?

- How are tolls and airport surcharges treated? Will I receive the UberX fee from each rider?

Thanks for clarifying these points.

Joseph
Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Aileen (Uber Partner Support)

Aug 4, 10:34

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for writing in! Happy to help explain! The final fare you see at the end of your uberPOOL trip will be your gross total for the whole ride. It includes the time you spent from the time you picked up your first rider to the time you make your final drop off, and both riders split that fare. It will looks as two separate fares, one right after the other, in your dashboard.

On a normal uberX trip, you would pick up and drop off your first rider and then wait for a second pickup to begin. With uberPOOL, you will be getting paid for that time you spend on your way to pick up the second rider.

As a courtesy to the co-rider, you'll only need to wait two minutes for the second requestor to arrive. Since you're paid for the time and mileage spent to pick up the match, a cancellation fee will not be charged in the event that the second passenger cancels or no shows. The fare is still calculating from when you picked up the first rider, which ensures that you are compensated for that time.

If you wait at least 5 minutes, yes, you will be compensated the $5 fee (not $10).

As for tolls and aiport fees, in most cases, tolls are automatically added to the fare. No Uber fee is taken from the toll reimbursement, so you'll always get the full amount based on the local toll pass rates. Keep in mind that since Uber is a cashless experience for the rider and they are already being charged for the toll in their fare, they should not pay the toll during the trip.

Thanks and if you have any other questions, just let me know.

Best,

Aileen
help.uber.com
Thanks for sharing Joseph.

The Uber rep said, "Since you're paid for the time and mileage spent to pick up the match, a cancellation fee will not be charged in the event that the second passenger cancels or no shows."

Well, the likely reason you'd be cancelling the 2nd ride is because they didn't show. Right?

I guess we'll have to see how it plays out.
John

·
Registered
35 Posts
What's your source of information? I hope you're right. But that's not what the Uber rep told me. We should find out soon."[/QUOTE said:
A question I poised at the Uber Boston Pool Orientation on Monday of last week. Reps said the cancellation fee will be given after 2 min's in accordance with Uber's 2 minute wait time policy for the second rider pickup.

If you have any issues with not getting a cancellation fee after 2 mins, simply write support and say I canceled after 2 mins as instructed at orientation and I'm sure they will give it to you. Just make sure you actually wait a full 2 mins.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A question I poised at the Uber Boston Pool Orientation on Monday of last week. Reps said the cancellation fee will be given after 2 min's in accordance with Uber's 2 minute wait time policy for the second rider pickup.

If you have any issues with not getting a cancellation fee after 2 mins, simply write support and say I canceled after 2 mins as instructed at orientation and I'm sure they will give it to you. Just make sure you actually wait a full 2 mins.
Does it concern you that two other Uber reps said there is no cancellation fee if cancelled in 2 minutes? Does it concern you that one of the reps put the following in writing, "Since you're paid for the time and mileage spent to pick up the match, a cancellation fee will not be charged in the event that the second passenger cancels or no shows."?
John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why is it only available downtown? Wouldn't the biggest advantage of uberpool for passengers and the environment be for the longer rides originating in the suburbs??

·
Registered
1 Posts
What do folks think about the Fare Guarantee that Uber is pushing for the UberPOOL launch? From the email: "To help keep up with high demand, we're guaranteeing all uberX partners make $25/hr in gross fares during peak hours* through Sunday, August 23rd." You have to opt-in to the guarantee but I'm hesitant. I can't figure out how the payouts are calculated and whether this will be better or worse for me. "Payouts for this incentive will be calculated as the maximum of $0 and ( Total Gross Fares During Eligible Hours - [ 25 * Total Eligible Hours ] ) * 0.8."

What do you think? Worth it or not?

·
Registered
19 Posts
There's no harm in opting in as long as you don't change your driving plans because you opted in. Either it helps you or you just get your normal earnings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does it concern you that two other Uber reps said there is no cancellation fee if cancelled in 2 minutes? Does it concern you that one of the reps put the following in writing, "Since you're paid for the time and mileage spent to pick up the match, a cancellation fee will not be charged in the event that the second passenger cancels or no shows."?
John
When it happens for me, if they don't give me the cancelation fee, I'll challenge it based on the statement made by ops. A rider if brought out of the way for that second rider, can't be held for the cost that should not be accrued, which is why they have the cancelation fee to offset the loss to the first rider.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Is anyone even using Uber pool in Boston? What have your fares been? How long did they take? I just cannot see people willing to share a Uber with some random drunk person. it will only lead to problems. Girls are already afraid to use Uber x alone. Do they think they want to be hit on etc by a uberx passenger? To save what $2.00 I don't think so.
But thats just my thoughts..

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just cannot see people willing to share a Uber with some random drunk person. it will only lead to problems. Girls are already afraid to use Uber x alone. Do they think they want to be hit on etc by a uberx passenger? To save what $2.00 I don't think so.
But thats just my thoughts..
Yeah, this is why I haven't taken on UberPool yet, and this is with me having gotten two midtrip Pool pings so far. I ignored both of them. I barely get paid enough to drive people, I don't get paid nearly enough to mediate a possible dispute in the back of my car between strangers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had 4 UberPool pings this weekend. Ignored all of them. I polled some of the 20 riders I had yesterday if they were for or against the Pool and for the most part none of them wanted any part of it.

Plus, yesterday one of my rides was mildly drunk ******* I picked up in Newton. It was afternoon, not night. He was saying the most vulgar and inappropriate shit during the entire ride from Newton Highlands to Newton Center. Would you want to expose your #2 pool rider to stuff like that? I was going to kick him out of the car but I figured it was relatively short ride down Centre Street.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I only worked Saturday. I had 18 trips. I didn't refuse any Uberpool requests. Only two were Uberpool. The first one didn't get a second rider. The second pool got the second rider and all worked fine. The paxs seemed pleased with it. But I expect there to be glitches in future trips. We'll see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Complete disaster. First guy got shafted... The app froze and wouldn't let me pick up the second request first. Just took the second ride to his destination and told him that I would adjust the fare since the app got back online mid way through my ride. I told him if he didn't feel the amount was fair (it was during a surge), just complain to uber support. I had to just ignore the first guy and wait for him to cancel. Had it 3 other times and thank goodness no pool requests came in during those trips. I really can't see this working out too well for anyone involved in the process... Rides are cheap enough.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts