Uber Drivers Forum banner

Have you found one or more of these trips?

• No

• Yes

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this today and decided to do the math on 3 random boost trips i completed yesterday.

1/3 trips showed a disproportionate payout to uber vs the extra money paid to me.

*check out image below

On a trip from Oakland to San Francisco during a 1.3x boost guarantee

Uber gets an extra 41% take, and I come away with an extra 36% take. And while I justifiably didn't lose money, I can truly say that extra money is mine and not Ubers by all means.

Now, to be fare, the other two trips show a complete line up with extra income for me vs Uber.

But for Uber to come across as paying you more, but in reality paying THEMSELVES more, reminds of the old "1 for you, 1 for me
2 for you, 1, 2 for me" routine.

literally every interaction drivers have with this company they are being ripped off.

Good luck with their new best friends at the trucker's unions

Attachments

· Registered
2,970 Posts
But for Uber to come across as paying you more, but in reality paying THEMSELVES more, reminds of the old "1 for you, 1 for me

literally every interaction drivers have with this company they are being ripped off.
Welcome to Uber. If you haven't heard before, this is their standard. We all almost fell to the floor unconscious last year when they actually spent a couple months putting the drivers first after losing most to Lyft.

I'm looking at your spreadsheet though and trying to figure out what exactly you are surprised by. (I'm not being mean, just trying to see what you are getting at specifically).

· Premium Member
11,893 Posts
Welcome to Uber. If you haven't heard before, this is their standard. We all almost fell to the floor unconscious last year when they actually spent a couple months putting the drivers first after losing most to Lyft.

I'm looking at your spreadsheet though and trying to figure out what exactly you are surprised by. (I'm not being mean, just trying to see what you are getting at specifically).
I think he's upset because Uber seems to be charging its fee on boost as well as the base "fare"

· Registered
2,970 Posts
I think he's upset because Uber seems to be charging its fee on boost as well as the base "fare"
Thanks for clarifying. I thought maybe that was what he was alerted to, but wasn't sure. I've known this for awhile, since Boost fares used to actually lower the amount of instant earnings available by deducting both the fee on the reg. fare and then also the fee on the Boost portion of the fare immediately, even though the Boost credit for the fare wasn't paid until the pay statement cycled.

I seem to remember Uber sending us emails last year when they started Boost that said there would be no additional fee deducted from Boost earnings, but I'd have to go back and check to be sure. Does anybody remember that?

· Registered
154 Posts
While you are technically correct that Uber "double dips" on their fee when it comes to boosted fares, you're failing to account for the fact that on a large portion of boost fares Uber actually takes a larger hit due to upfront pricing when it's not surging.

· Registered
11,741 Posts
While you are technically correct that Uber "double dips" on their fee when it comes to boosted fares, you're failing to account for the fact that on a large portion of boost fares Uber actually takes a larger hit due to upfront pricing when it's not surging.
Do you have any numbers/evidence to back this claim up? On what proportion of boost fares does Uber take what hit?

· Registered
2,970 Posts
Uber is not taking any hits. They have modeled upfront pricing to their benefit. For every fare they collect, they at minimum get the minimum fare plus the booking fee. Drivers do not.

· Registered
154 Posts
You can easily find out yourself by doing various samples during boost periods. Simply use the rider app to select a fare from a boost zone. If no surge, Uber's cut will generally be lower due to the fact that are subsidizing the ride via a boost payout to the driver.

It's entirely area dependent, for example FiDi/SoMA during evening rush hours almost always see a surge, but for the South Bay boosts, especially on weekends, Uber's upfront pricing to the pax generally remains the same while the payout to the driver is higher, resulting in a lower fare.

You can use their API to scrape and aggregate fare data if you're in need of more proof. That's what I did for a 'fun' project when I was still driving.

· Registered
11,741 Posts
You can easily find out yourself
Just as I thought; the standard go-to after posting a claim for which there is no evidence to back it up. Alternatives include, "Google it" and "search for it".
You can use their API to scrape and aggregate fare data if you're in need of more proof.
Right now I'd settle for any proof from you.

· Premium Member
1,445 Posts
I was thinking about this today and decided to do the math on 3 random boost trips i completed yesterday.

1/3 trips showed a disproportionate payout to uber vs the extra money paid to me.

*check out image below

On a trip from Oakland to San Francisco during a 1.3x boost guarantee

Uber gets an extra 41% take, and I come away with an extra 36% take. And while I justifiably didn't lose money, I can truly say that extra money is mine and not Ubers by all means.

Now, to be fare, the other two trips show a complete line up with extra income for me vs Uber.

Good luck with their new best friends at the trucker's unions
It looks like you included the $6 toll in the calculations in the 1st example and it shouldn't be. A toll is strictly a reimbursement. A boost of 1.3 on $15.55 is $4.67, not $10.89 as you show. Anyway, at least to me, it appears your numbers are off.

What do the numbers show in the trip details - what you got, what Uber got and what the pax paid?

There's no doubt that Uber occasionally 'takes a hit' or loses $ on some rides, here's an example from a boost ride this morning. They can also lose $ when you have a single pool rider going more then a few miles.

I smile and get a bit of satisfaction every time I see Uber losing money on a ride, they make plenty on the majority of rides.

Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot Parallel

· Banned
4,825 Posts
It has for long time said "Guarantee amount is before Uber fee is applied". It's the last bottom line under the map.
Ecoregion World Product Map Font

But it has always been easier to understand if u drop the Uberfee fiction and know that u get 86.25c per mile. If u have a 1.3X boost, it's $1.12 per mile. I don't think anything has changed.

· Registered
154 Posts
Just as I thought; the standard go-to after posting a claim for which there is no evidence to back it up. Alternatives include, "Google it" and "search for it".
Right now I'd settle for any proof from you.
I literally just told you how. You can aggregate data from their API or collect a sample of data from the rider app. Your choice if you choose not to do the legwork. Data is rarely free...

· Registered
11,741 Posts
I literally just told you how. You can aggregate data from their API or collect a sample of data from the rider app. Your choice if you choose not to do the legwork. Data is rarely free...
SMH. Posts a claim and then asks me to look up the proof for him.

Alas, with no proof from you, your assertion that Uber takes "big hits" with its upfront pricing is just a guess and is of no value.

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It looks like you included the $6 toll in the calculations in the 1st example and it shouldn't be. A toll is strictly a reimbursement. A boost of 1.3 on $15.55 is $4.67, not $10.89 as you show. Anyway, at least to me, it appears your numbers are off.

What do the numbers show in the trip details - what you got, what Uber got and what the pax paid?

There's no doubt that Uber occasionally 'takes a hit' or loses $ on some rides, here's an example from a boost ride this morning. They can also lose $ when you have a single pool rider going more then a few miles.

I smile and get a bit of satisfaction every time I see Uber losing money on a ride, they make plenty on the majority of rides.

View attachment 126058
if you bothered to do the math on my little picture chart you would see that the 6$ toll doesn't factor into those numbers. its just there cause if it was part of the fare but obviously doesn't make a difference

i think you are ALL missing the point of my thread.

yeah Uber loses money and makes money sometimes and sometimes not.

But my post was to illustrate how Uber is able to use Boost instead of Surge (one is driver based and the other pax based) in order to increase their own cut AFTER YOU FACTOR OUT THE BOOST.

So basically they pay you 1.3x boost, but mathematically they end up benefitting more (as a percentage) than the driver.

Almost like handing someone a dollar and expecting $1.05 in return

· Banned
4,825 Posts
if you bothered to do the math on my little picture chart you would see that the 6$ toll doesn't factor into those numbers. its just there cause if it was part of the fare but obviously doesn't make a difference

i think you are ALL missing the point of my thread.

yeah Uber loses money and makes money sometimes and sometimes not.

But my post was to illustrate how Uber is able to use Boost instead of Surge (one is driver based and the other pax based) in order to increase their own cut AFTER YOU FACTOR OUT THE BOOST.

So basically they pay you 1.3x boost, but mathematically they end up benefitting more (as a percentage) than the driver.

Almost like handing someone a dollar and expecting $1.05 in return
Uber does not take a cut. Ur not the only delusional one. Lots ofbforum people talk about Uber's cut, or "commission". It's not real. Boost or not, they charge the rider whatever they want to charge. That's been going on for about a year now. They pay us at the mile and minute rate, regardless of what they charge the rider. With a boost the mile and minute rate is multiplied, regardless of what they charged the rider. Nobody gets what ur saying about them taking a bigger cut with boost. It makes no sense. There is no cut. If u want to pretend tho, look at my previous post with the promotion details fine print. They multiply the fare then take 25% of that (but that's Uberfiction math. So it's irrelevant)
If u go in trip reports and view online statement you can see how much the rider was charged. And it stays within app, doesn't actually go to yr browser.

Reactions: Sacto Burbs

· Registered
2,970 Posts

View attachment 126058
Is that the amount of Boost they are paying before or after taking their service fee?

· Registered
560 Posts
Uber does not take a cut. Ur not the only delusional one. Lots ofbforum people talk about Uber's cut, or "commission". It's not real. Boost or not, they charge the rider whatever they want to charge. That's been going on for about a year now. They pay us at the mile and minute rate, regardless of what they charge the rider. With a boost the mile and minute rate is multiplied, regardless of what they charged the rider. Nobody gets what ur saying about them taking a bigger cut with boost. It makes no sense. There is no cut. If u want to pretend tho, look at my previous post with the promotion details fine print. They multiply the fare then take 25% of that (but that's Uberfiction math. So it's irrelevant)
If u go in trip reports and view online statement you can see how much the rider was charged. And it stays within app, doesn't actually go to yr browser.
I just cant believe anyone can defend this "they charge the rider whatever they want". Because #1 no they shouldnt charge what they want because its based on time plus miles. The ride should be calucated on that at the end of the ride period. No excuses simple math here. No upfront pricing!!! Riders should pay what the actual rate is plus surge.
No more no less.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.