Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone driving in NYC-Suburbs (Rockland, Westchester or Long Island) or Upstate-NY (all of New York State north of NYC-Suburbs) may see this message in the Uber driver-App if you are not currently authorized by Uber to drive in those service areas. This may include NYC-TLC plated drivers, who would be OK if they were driving an authorized, non-TLC-plated car.

Not only does this message block you from going online, but if you are offline and open the driver-App, it stops you from doing any offline functions (like checking earnings or ratings). Very annoying. :(

If you have applied to Uber to be authorized in these service areas then it probably means that your application is still pending. If you believe that the message was sent in error then I suggest that you contact Uber support via email. If possible, include a screenshot.

The message may persist even after you "return to your home service area". If this happens tr to stop and restart the driver-App after "returning to your home service area".

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Anyone driving in NYC-Suburbs (Rockland, Westchester or Long Island) or Upstate-NY (all of New York State north of NYC-Suburbs) may see this message in the Uber driver-App if you are not currently authorized by Uber to drive in those service areas. This may include NYC-TLC plated drivers, who would be OK if they were driving an authorized, non-TLC-plated car.

Not only does this message block you from going online, but if you are offline and open the driver-App, it stops you from doing any offline functions (like checking earnings or ratings). Very annoying. :(

If you have applied to Uber to be authorized in these service areas then it probably means that your application is still pending. If you believe that the message was sent in error then I suggest that you contact Uber support via email. If possible, include a screenshot.

The message may persist even after you "return to your home service area". If this happens tr to stop and restart the driver-App after "returning to your home service area".
Can go on line anywhere. Uber really messed this one up. Busiest weekend of the year and they say it will take a few days to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I can't operate in New York or New Jersey anymore. I never made any changes with them, so I don't understand what the problem is.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I called the support number and was told that they are doing additional background check and should be back online in two hours. That was an hour ago.

In app support responded after three hours saying additional background check needs to be done since I have TLC license. I DO NOT HAVE A TLC LICENSE and have been operating in NJ for my last 753 trips. Über hasn't a clue what they are doing.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called the support number and was told that they are doing additional background check and should be back online in two hours. That was an hour ago.

In app support responded after three hours saying additional background check needs to be done since I have TLC license. I DO NOT HAVE A TLC LICENSE and have been operating in NJ for my last 753 trips. Über hasn't a clue what they are doing.
Uber email support appears to be populated by 90% mindless drones and 10% overworked people trying to fix the problems caused by the 90%. It's frustrating for most drivers, but what seems to work is just keep trying until your email chain finds it's way to one of the 10%.

If your very lucky then one of the support people already understands your problem and will fix is by tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I've got two threads going with in-app support. They keep saying my BGC is undergoing scrutiny and to wait to get an email explaining when I can go online. I've driven in NJ for the last four months every single day. Why am I blocked from NJ too?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got two threads going with in-app support. They keep saying my BGC is undergoing scrutiny and to wait to get an email explaining when I can go online. I've driven in NJ for the last four months every single day. Why am I blocked from NJ too?
Don't look at me :( The wonders and mysteries of Uber are beyond understanding and explanation by mere mortals like myself. I do know that Uber does periodically redo (yearly) background checks. If something new pops then Uber may question it.

As I said before, Uber email support appears to be populated by 90% mindless drones and 10% overworked people trying to fix the problems caused by the 90%. It's frustrating for most drivers, but what seems to work is just keep trying until your email chain finds it's way to one of the 10%. The alternatives are to visit a greenlight hub or wait indefinitely until the "Gods of Uber" decide to smile upon you.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
After three hours at the mob scene which was the Bronx Greenlight I finally have some answers.

First it seems that drivers who are new to Uber and who wanted to sign up for Upstate had background checks done in the two week lead up to the 29th. BUT, anyone driving NJ and asked to be allowed to do NY as well were simply switched by Uber. This fell foul of the new NY State laws so the drivers they had switched were cut off. First their documents were deemed invalid due to the lack of background check. Then Geo fencing was applied. But, sice the State of preference (for many) had been switched from say NJ to NY, NJ was no longer valid until a NY background check was completed.

My remedy today was to get switched back to NJ until NY checks are done. Not sure if I can work in NJ yet though. Will let you know when I know.

Uber messed up here and should admit their mistakes (or should that be misstates?).

·
Registered
40 Posts
After three hours at the mob scene which was the Bronx Greenlight I finally have some answers.

First it seems that drivers who are new to Uber and who wanted to sign up for Upstate had background checks done in the two week lead up to the 29th. BUT, anyone driving NJ and asked to be allowed to do NY as well were simply switched by Uber. This fell foul of the new NY State laws so the drivers they had switched were cut off. First their documents were deemed invalid due to the lack of background check. Then Geo fencing was applied. But, sice the State of preference (for many) had been switched from say NJ to NY, NJ was no longer valid until a NY background check was completed.

My remedy today was to get switched back to NJ until NY checks are done. Not sure if I can work in NJ yet though. Will let you know when I know.

Uber messed up here and should admit their mistakes (or should that be misstates?).
This makes sense however, my New Jersey account had the background check done in early June for NYC suburbs and I was offline for about 2 weeks in June waiting for the background check to complete. It was complete just before June 29th. Nothing they have been doing makes sense. It took two phone calls and a run around while being offline from 10pm last night until about 5 pm today to get them to fix it. They sent me a text apologizing for the app "outtage" at 5pm today. Their only reason for doing this new redundant background check was the excuse that they need to do them periodically. Despite the fact it was done about a week ago.

I was at the point of such outrage I told them the only time Uber responds to anything is when they hear the complaints in the press, that the phone call is being recorded (because no one would believe ludicrasy). I was at the point I'd try anything. within 10 minutes it was reinstated with the apology text message for the app "outtage. Lost a lot of money in the highest surge with almost no drivers in the entire county from fri night and into Saturday.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Update: Still blocked for ALL Uber in NY and NJ. App says docs need updating when Im in NJ, even after Greenlight checked them all. In NY it says I'm not authorized. Havent earned with Uber now in three days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm locked out since June 29th as I have WTLC plates and commercial insurance. They told me I would need a personal insurance policy and personal plates but I am NOT willing to take that chance as I would not be covered with a personal policy. Anyone have this issue? I've been working in Westchester for over a year, they signed me up at the Long Island City hub but now suddenly they cut me off?!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I'm locked out since June 29th as I have WTLC plates and commercial insurance. They told me I would need a personal insurance policy and personal plates but I am NOT willing to take that chance as I would not be covered with a personal policy. Anyone have this issue? I've been working in Westchester for over a year, they signed me up at the Long Island City hub but now suddenly they cut me off?!
I'm with you bro I have wc plates too and commercial insurance Uber gave us the boot . Even though we have better insurance and commercial plates they want us now to get personal plates some bull right ? Now we can only receive rides going to Nyc. For me I have no problem since I got the nyc diamond as well but it jus crab how Uber screwed us Westchester guys also don't know what to do either

·
Administrator
6,952 Posts
It has to do with the statewide change in rules regarding rideshare driving that went into effect on June 29th:

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm with you bro I have wc plates too and commercial insurance Uber gave us the boot . Even though we have better insurance and commercial plates they want us now to get personal plates some bull right ? Now we can only receive rides going to Nyc. For me I have no problem since I got the nyc diamond as well but it jus crab how Uber screwed us Westchester guys also don't know what to do either
It really does suck because we have all the credentials we need to work. Not to mention we are doing things the right and legal way. Driving with personal plates and a personal policy is actually on some level illegal since personal policies do not provide the proper coverage and you're committing fraud by lying about what you are doing with the vehicle which means they could cancel you if they end up finding out what you are doing. I'm just not willing to take a chance. I'm near retirement, I own a home, etc.....slapping personal plates on my car just doesn't sound like a good idea at all! I'd be at the whim of Uber and their coverage which I hear nightmare stories about.

I guess I'm out :-/

With the New York diamond can you still work in Westchester? Or do they limit you to NYC only?

Sorry man, I'm sorry to hear you're in the same boat as I am! Sucks we are being penalized for doing the right thing! Until there is riding sharing endorsements added to policies in Westchester I'm just not willing to take the chance!

It has to do with the statewide change in rules regarding rideshare driving that went into effect on June 29th:

View attachment 135491
Thanks! A law that endorses you break the law! Yay Cuomo! LOL!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.