Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd post about something that has happened up here!

I know most London drivers won't care but we have had the surge cap removed last week and I did my first 3x fare which was great for everything but my rating!

It was for 9.24 miles and cost the customer £48.39

And we were seeing up to 3.8x surge which is unprecedented in Brum

Attachments

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
my friend work as much as u can non stop do give water and be nice for the rating but use this as your advantage and once it goes ****ed at least u made alot of money fu ck the passengers u are driving in a good time its fairly new u can make a killing loads of money once its gone is gone collect it while u can and then leave when it gets dead.

·
Registered
236 Posts
£50 for 9 miles? That's one way to make sure you convert people back to the Birmingham taxi trade.

I'm guessing a 9 mile trip in a taxi would go about £33?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your right Phil, hopefully it does aswell! Being though I want out of uber as soon as I have passed the knowledge test for Brum.

But the thing is the people pay it as its from their account.. This I don't understand as if it was me common sense prevails, anything above a 1.5x -1.7x fare it's cheaper to use a black cab and I tell the customers that!

The standard fare on uber would only be £16.13 which with 20% removed from it would be sh-ocking for a 9 mile trip.

The black cab rate would be about £30 as you said on tarriff 1 which is a fair fare for everyone in my eyes but customers don't seem to think that way.

The thing that makes uber the way that it is for customers is the slickness of payment and the fact it can be used most places, as a driver I cannot wait to be out because you cannot win either way the fares are either too cheap for the driver or too expensive for the customer and I resent giving them 20% of my hard work.

As in London it seems that the decent drivers will leave and either progress by doing the K or getting their own ops licence as is what's starting to happen here aswell.

There is less friction between the black cab and ph here but ph is turning on each other as out of towners are working the city centre as uber gets operating licences in the satellite towns such as Walsall and Solihull and those drivers are predominantly working in Birmingham City Centre as the streets are paved with gold!

We will see!

I just wondered as I have not used it, does gett or hailo offer full payment through the app? Fully integrated like uber? Or quotes/fare estimates as I believe with a nation of people with heads buried in our phones that's what people seemingly want..

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
People generally don't want to mess about with paying, and it's convenient to have the card details stored, so the journey is paid for as soon as you leave (despite the recent hacking).

Even getting the card out their pocket/wallet is an extra task, which Uber eliminates.

Do the black cabs take card payment, there with ease no fuss? No brooming, minimum fares, extra charges, don't accept certain type of card, contactless?

Its handy going out for the night and not having to bother about looking for a cash machine and there's also the risk the taxi driver may not have change.

Peoplet may pay the extra caused by the surge just for the convenience. Even more so if the quality of an average Uber car is better than a taxi.

Plus at the end of the trip, you also get an email with the breakdown of the fare and route taken.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:confused::confused::confused:
I agree with both, logically but people don't see surge as oh I can get a car quicker than if I ring a base or queuing for a Hackney (shockingly that does happen up here) the vast majority see surge (esp the 2x and up) as price gouging.

They used to pay the same price to the Pirates when they went home but now they have used the same company and it cost them half on the way into town and have a vent for the anger via ratings on the busy times we get fo-oked as drivers not the company we work for who charges too cheap the rest of the time.

I have to look at it this way:

I'm out to earn as much as I can during the hours I am out be that via uber or via a black cab.

I don't know how much I can earn with the black cab as I have never done it and people are not exactly forth coming with disclosing their accounts, understandably.

I am not in love with the way I feel working for uber, I feel like I'm being used.. Bled dry.. By their extremely low standard fares but when I work surge my rating gets done and I don't like that as the feedback makes me feel sh t at my job.

Rock and Hard place as I do like the majority of the customers and the payment process with the client ect

I do private chauffeur work aswell which is where the majority of my income comes from which is why I know I'm good at my job and uber carrot and stick mentality doesn't sit right with me..

Seems you get beat with the stick on the low fares (sh t wages) and beat with the stick with the surge fares (low ratings)

And for drivers that do care about both it just doesn't seem to make sense.

There will be a lot of people that say don't pay any attention to your rating.. I can see that.. I've tried but I just do! I don't come out to be bad at my job.

Just feeling drained and ranting :( probably December madness kicking in:confused:

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Fortunately, you're not relying on Uber anyway, especially when you get your Hackney licence.

Obviously your private work comes first, then when you pass, you'd be doing black cab work, with the Uber app on when empty (which you then log out of if you get a black cab job - assuming you can use the same vehicle)?

The decent drivers here in London don't need Uber to rely on, most, as you mentioned, will have their own private work either through their own operators licences, or through another operator, possibly a traditional cash office where they could be fed work or get a lot of personal requests.

These drivers will probably see the quiet January through ok, while the rest may have to quit PH work altogether.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Apparently black cabs all have to be fitted with contactless card payment by may 2016,Law was passed in september ive seen 2 Aarticles from different black cab friends.Also major player in app scene is busy recruiting drivers for going home service so if driver finishes shift and would normally go home empty he has option for cut price fare on way home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts