Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 4 new tires for $400 with installation included. They are 70,000 miles SUMIMOTO tires. I was going to get a deal on 80,000 mile MICHELIN tires but they were sold out. Which when I was told was a good thing.

The guy at the shop who got me my tires told me that the tire dealer said "I'm glad those Michelins were sold out. The reason why they were on sale is because they've been sitting around since 2014-2015. The rubber isn't as good. That's why when people get a deal on tires, the tires end up going bad within 2-1 years. The tires you picked up [SUMIMOTO] are "fresh" they were made in 2018 so they'll last a lot longer"

I'm not sure if this helps anyone but definitely ask questions about the tire you're buying especially if they're on sale.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I just got 4 new tires for $400 with installation included. They are 70,000 miles SUMIMOTO tires. I was going to get a deal on 80,000 mile MICHELIN tires but they were sold out. Which when I was told was a good thing.

The guy at the shop who got me my tires told me that the tire dealer said "I'm glad those Michelins were sold out. The reason why they were on sale is because they've been sitting around since 2014-2015. The rubber isn't as good. That's why when people get a deal on tires, the tires end up going bad within 2-1 years. The tires you picked up [SUMIMOTO] are "fresh" they were made in 2018 so they'll last a lot longer"

I'm not sure if this helps anyone but definitely ask questions about the tire you're buying especially if they're on sale.
Not true. That all depend how they store tiers and some other factors. Dry rotten tiers can be 1 years old and, on the other hand, I've seen 10 years old tiers that were in perfect condition. General rule- don't listen too much what a salesman tells you. His goal is to sell, not to give you the best option.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
You can always check date codes on stuff if you're super worried. Rideshare cars are going to burn through tires faster then two years in any case.

Not true. That all depend how they store tiers and some other factors. Dry rotten tiers can be 1 years old and, on the other hand, I've seen 10 years old tiers that were in perfect condition. General rule- don't listen too much what a salesman tells you. His goal is to sell, not to give you the best option.
This.

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts

Check the date on the tires.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Right. 4 number code on tire will give you the week and year of manufacture.
3617 for example is 36th week of 2017.

And

Any reputable tire dealer isn’t going to have 2 and 3 year old tires in stock. The turn over of inventory is quick. Maybe they found some old stock in a back room and decided to peddle them off to a sucker.

First thing I do after getting tires put on is check the date code.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just remembered seeing an Uber driver riding on a donut. I thought that was the most insane thing anyone can do especially if they're using their car for rideshare. And of course this guy had a car full of people.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Run flats are shit. They're harder to patch if you get a nail, don't last as long, and the ride isin't as good.

I'd rather have a spare tire.
Agreed. "Run flats" have stiff walls and you can run on them ( walls) for a short distance if tire is deflated, but it comes with a price- harsh ride, price of the tire, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.