Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A driver on the zello channel reported that there is a sting at the airport... he was given 4 tickets....all regulatory in nature. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was a CT driver dropping off. He was properly licensed for CT. He was told that even drop offs are illegal in NY unless you are licensed to also pick up in NY with a doctors card, and livery endorsements

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
What is a "doctors card"?

What you imply would be a new development that I have not heard of. Hopefully, the driver follows up with Uber. Perhaps there is some other factor that we are not aware of.

As you describe it, any dropoff by a Connecticut driver anywhere is NY State is illegal unless the driver has "livery endorsements", which is not the case for UberX and UberXL. This would include JFK, LGA and anywhere in NYC.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
The doctors card is a federal DOT health card, means you passed a federally mandated physical which is required for commercial drivers license.

He must of run into an over eager cop that day. I've done countless drops at every NY airport and was only harassed once at JFK by undercover tlc cop. His main question was where I picked up the rider. Since I was a limo company driver I showed him my livery endorsement license and DOT card and the pax confirmed she was picked up in CT, he sent me on my way without any issues. Maybe if I didn't have those it may have ended differently, who knows.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I have heard of UberX and UberXL being randomly stopped at various NY State airports. The cop demands your normal paperwork: license, registration, insurance, plus the waybill on your cell phone for your pickup and destination. If all these things are in order then you should not have a problem.

Please reply if you have heard differently.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is different. He was just dropping off... he had all proper paprwork... yet because he did not have livery endorsement, plates and insurance like new york drivers... he was nailed

·
Registered
403 Posts
FYI - you can NOT drop off at WCA. The cops there are very uber savy. If they see you and you dont have Z plates they will give you about $2,500 in tickets. You need to have your passenger move to the front seat and act like a friend / family and also loose the phone or anything that makes you look like an uber guy. Also, FYI - the cops there will ping you from King Street right across the state line on their own personal uber app ask you to come to the airport and pick them up - if you fall for that one you are done. They also tow your car.

WCA is not uber friendly

Only those with Z plates doing pick ups in CT can legally drop off at WCA

·
Registered
256 Posts
FYI - you can NOT drop off at WCA. The cops there are very uber savy. If they see you and you dont have Z plates they will give you about $2,500 in tickets. You need to have your passenger move to the front seat and act like a friend / family and also loose the phone or anything that makes you look like an uber guy. Also, FYI - the cops there will ping you from King Street right across the state line on their own personal uber app ask you to come to the airport and pick them up - if you fall for that one you are done. They also tow your car.

WCA is not uber friendly

Only those with Z plates doing pick ups in CT can legally drop off at WCA
LOL. I was thinking the same thing about the front seat and hiding devices. Also, ask the rider if you can give him/her a hug before you get back into your car. If they won't let you hug them, at least a handshake!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Asking to hug a passenger will certainly lead to possible complaint and deactivation investigation if they say you "made them feel uncomfortable" Requesting intimate physical contact can certainly land you with an investigation. Not a bright idea.

I can't give away all my secrets for free here on the internet but you will be safe if right as you are pulling up to the airport if you ask the pasenger to sit in the front seat. Pull up. Remain seated in your car. Pop the trunk. Have passenger take out his her own bag. Keep phone hidden. Take off. I keep my phone locked with security code so the cops there can not obtain any evidence that I am on an uber ride. I refuse to answer any questions.

Basically, if you don't volunteer any information they wont have any facts upon which to arrest you.

Of course it is up to your passenger if they want to say that you were an uber driver or just someone doing them a favor and giving them a ride to the airport.

Knocking on wood I have had no no issues to date.

But lets face reality here.

Is it worth it for a $35 ride up from Norwalk to risk $2,500 in tickets and having your car towed?

I usually explain the regulatory situation at WCA to passengers requesting rides there ones who are willing to cooperate with me and work with my system I take. Ones with get uptight and act like I am a nut job I usually politely cancel the ride and suggest that they find another driver to take them

I heard that they are writing 1000 of those $2,500 tickets per month at WCA

They dont just write them to us CT Guys

WC TLC guys also CAN NOT do UBER pick ups at WCA

If you have WC TLC you need to be hailed from a WC base station to do any pick ups in WC. Uber is not a WC base station. The WCA and the North White Plains Metro North Train Station are favorite hunting grounds for the WC Police to ticket uber drivers

Do NOT drop off any one at the North White Plains Metro North Train Station unless you follow the same method as the one I listed for WCA

It is simply not worth getting a $2,500 fine over

Finally - DO NOT ask passengers to HUG YOU. You are looking for a strike on the path to deactivation. That is an easy opportunity for them to file a complaint against you to try and get a free ride and good luck explaining to the incident investigation team why you want to hug your passengers.

All the best

·
Registered
403 Posts
You must be a real creepy looking guy if you think asking for a hug would lead to all that.
Let me tell you my friend. After two years doing this and over 10,000 rides I have seen / heard everything.

If you so much as mention a subject that makes someone feel "uncomfortable" they can file a complaint with uber who will 100% investigate it which will lead to a temporary deactivation of your account and an no so fun phone conversation with an incident response investigation team member while you have to explain yourself

Sadly, there is a certain percentage of customers who are looking for free rides, credits for future free rides and if they catch you in any compromising conversation or comment they will complain to uber to try and get their free ride

IT IS A SHAME that our job has gotten to the point but my friend if you want to keep this job and if you are serious about it DO NOT ask any customers to hug you touch you or have any contact with you

You just may run across the wrong passenger who will take it the wrong way and contact uber to complain about you

I try my best to avoid any controversial topics, situations or conflicts in my car so as to avoid any situations that can lead to any customer complaints

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
According to one of the official WCA web pages
http://airport.westchestergov.com/ground-transportation/taxi-and-limo-service

All taxis, limousines, car services and other transportation vendors (this should include Uber) are welcome to drop-off passengers at the main terminal. (here's where you can get into trouble) Taxi cruising for passengers and the hailing of unoccupied taxis are not permitted at the airport.

Perhaps this is out-of-date? So, can anyone who has stated that an Uber driver can get a $2,500 or other fine for simply dropping off a Connecticut pickup at WCA please provide a link for documentation at a WCA, WC, or other official web site?

·
Registered
403 Posts
It is WTLC not New York Law

WCA has a contract with County car Service as its exclusive car service / transportation provider

If you don't believe me just go over there and start looking like an uber driver and see what happens

best to keep in on the super down low at WCA

·
Registered
403 Posts
According to one of the official WCA web pages
http://airport.westchestergov.com/ground-transportation/taxi-and-limo-service

All taxis, limousines, car services and other transportation vendors (this should include Uber) are welcome to drop-off passengers at the main terminal. (here's where you can get into trouble) Taxi cruising for passengers and the hailing of unoccupied taxis are not permitted at the airport.

Perhaps this is out-of-date? So, can anyone who has stated that an Uber driver can get a $2,500 or other fine for simply dropping off a Connecticut pickup at WCA please provide a link for documentation at a WCA, WC, or other official web site?
Uber CT drivers are not transportation vendors authorized to do business in WC. Only those with Z plates doing rides that originated in CT are legal to drop off at WCA.

Similarly a WC TLC plate car can drop off at WCA

A WC TLC CAR can pick up a passenger from its own MC base station at MCA

But a WC Uber car can not legally pick up at WCA as uber is not a WC base station

Those WC Uber guys have to also keep it on the down low even though they have WCTLC plates

·
Registered
952 Posts
If this Is such an ordeal then don't drive anyone to the airport. Cancel ride , say sorry and drive off . If they beg you to take them then make a deal and say the closest you can bring them is one of the outer airport parking lots and they then can jump on the shuttle

I have done quite well with uber and I rarely go to the airport

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Let's assume that it is illegal to drop a Connecticut pickup at WCA (I'm starting to believe). It's enforced by http://tlc.westchestergov.com/, not the regular cops. It is the same in ALL of WC, just more likely to be caught at WCA and the train stations.

Uber has to be aware of this. Who thinks Uber will support a driver who gets a ticket for dropping at WCA, but has done nothing else wrong and has all valid documentation? Is Uber willing to let the driver take all the risk while they continue to profit? Can't the App block WC drops in the same way we're currently blocked from going online when out of our designated region?

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
When this was an issue in Newark they were paying the tickets, but who knows what they do or don't do at any given time.

There's an easy solution for HPN drops, parking garage is right in front of terminal, pop in, drop pax and pop out, they probably won't even charge you if are in an out in a minute or two.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts