Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I almost got scammed at Logan. Beware of this fraudulent scheme!

Ride request came in from Rob at the airport Hilton. No passenger shows up, but someone called on the phone. Caller said they were from Uber headquarters, and the ride should be cancelled - without charging the passenger - because it was requested using someone else's credit card. The caller identified himself as Jonathan, and gave me a badge number, but only after I asked him who he was. "Jonathan" then said my account was frozen, and I would get a text to reset it. A text came momentarily asking for my email and password.

Call and text were from numbers that Uber has not used in the past. I told "Jonathan" I would not provide my password in that manner (honestly, I almost fell for it though). Jonathan then said some more fraudulent bullshit, and when I pressed him further, hung up. I called back and no answer.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

Ride request came in from Rob at the airport Hilton. No passenger shows up, but someone called on the phone. Caller said they were from Uber headquarters, and the ride should be cancelled - without charging the passenger - because it was requested using someone else's credit card. The caller identified himself as Jonathan, and gave me a badge number, but only after I asked him who he was. "Jonathan" then said my account was frozen, and I would get a text to reset it. A text came momentarily asking for my email and password.

Call and text were from numbers that Uber has not used in the past. I told "Jonathan" I would not provide my password in that manner (honestly, I almost fell for it though). Jonathan then said some more fraudulent bullshit, and when I pressed him further, hung up. I called back and no answer.
Start the trip and tear a$$ trough the twt to get your toll

·
Premium Member
11,431 Posts
I assume the phone is a burner and credit card is stolen wonder if uber will still honor the fares, probably lol

It's not the drivers responsibility to check id or get a signature anyway

Pretty sure they will cancel the ride anyway to get another fish

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I assume the phone is a burner and credit card is stolen wonder if uber will still honor the fares, probably lol

It's not the drivers responsibility to check id or get a signature anyway

Pretty sure they will cancel the ride anyway to get another fish
I got one in Cambridge. Started the trip Got minimum fare

·
Premium Member
11,431 Posts
I got one in Cambridge. Started the trip Got minimum fare
Nice lol I doubt they will contact uber to get the money back it's not like it's theirs anyway

·
Registered
4,602 Posts

Here's a tip when they tell you your account is frozen go online and tell them it's strange I'm able go online lol

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Yep this is a common one, you'll see lots of posts about it here in the Boston forum itself even. I knwo several drivers this has affected. Good job though!

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
Yep this is a common one, you'll see lots of posts about it here in the Boston forum itself even. I knwo several drivers this has affected. Good job though!
Maybe Uber could/should send text reminders sbout this monthly, just to remind any drivers without common sense.

Seems immigrants would be especially vulnerable, so Uber should target them especially, with text reminders on what to not do if getting a call from a supposed Uber rep.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
the key is, both apps will never call you and ask for info they already have about you

in fact they almost never call you, in 8,000 rides i got one call from lyft, never uber

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
5k plus rides, never a call from Uber.
A drunk guy, affecting a bad Indian accent, once called me to say "Please cancel this ride, I am not the passenger." When I challenged him he responded with, "Cancel or I will f*ck you up!" I kept him on line awhile 'til he hung up. I suggested to Uber that he be deactivated.

·
Registered
1 Posts

This also happened to me on friday night while down im the seaport district. Got the request then a call saying to cancel the request then preceeded to ask for my phone number. At first i gave him my phone number them got a text saying if i gave my email/password id get a 200 bonus. Didnt fall for that one though. I then hung up and got five more calls from this guy. Thankfully i knew that obviously someone from uber wouldnt be calling me in the middle of driving. I did change my password just im case but wow i really am lucky i didnt fall for it because my uber debit card wouldve been emptied im sure right away. So yeah people beware!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts