Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the strangest day ever. At around 10 pm, I couldn't log into my uber account. I thought the night was lost. As I got home from work at 11:30, I all of a sudden logged on. I decided not to drive the usual 2-3 hours on Friday nights.

Out of curiosity, I went online at around 1:00 AM. I got a couple requests, but I declined. Then I got one with a 1.4x surge, and I took the bait. I think it's likely that it was a pax who dropped the pin away from the bar areas to minimize cost. I waited and canceled. Shortly thereafter, I got a 2.2x surge. There were three paxes--all young men. I asked them where they were going, and they told me Bordentown, a 50-minute, 40-mile fare. I couldn't believe my luck.

This trip helped re-enforce some things I believed:

1.) Do not wait too long to cancel when it's surging. People accept surges because they want to go home. Most people who are making you wait will cancel if they are able to.

2.) It might be smart to not take the 12:45-1:15 AM rides. Even if they are long, it's likely you might be missing on the surge pricing that occur after 1:30 AM. Many times I've gotten a $30+ fare late modnight to early 1 AM that takes me really far from Jersey Shore rate, only to find out I missed some good surges during the trip.

3.). Luck plays a major part in Uber because of the randomness of it. I went from a 6-mile ride at 1.4x surge--that's the pax I canceled on--to a 40-mile ride at 2.2x surge in a matter of seconds. Also, I had only made $10 this week--I usually wait an hour at a store near me each night after I get back from work--and lost out on a $50+ net pay on Valentine's Day because of a complicated situation. Now, I can drive on a Saturday with no pressure.

PS: I am mostly talking to people who drive on the Jersey Shore. Different places, different strategies. I couldn't care less about dead miles when I just got paid $3.80/mile. At almost $3 less per mile, that kind of trip isn't that profitable.

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
I had the strangest day ever. At around 10 pm, I couldn't log into my uber account. I thought the night was lost. As I got home from work at 11:30, I all of a sudden logged on. I decided not to drive the usual 2-3 hours on Friday nights.

Out of curiosity, I went online at around 1:00 AM. I got a couple requests, but I declined. Then I got one with a 1.4x surge, and I took the bait. I think it's likely that it was a pax who dropped the pin away from the bar areas to minimize cost. I waited and canceled. Shortly thereafter, I got a 2.2x surge. There were three paxes--all young men. I asked them where they were going, and they told me Bordentown, a 50-minute, 40-mile fare. I couldn't believe my luck.

1.) Do not wait too long to cancel when it's surging. People accept surges because they want to go home. Most people who are making you wait will cancel if they are able to.

2.) It might be smart to not take the 12:45-1:15 AM rides. Even if they are long, it's likely you might be missing on the surge pricing that occur after 1:30 AM. Many times I've gotten a $30+ fare late modnight to early 1 AM that takes me really far from Jersey Shore rate, only to find out I missed some good surges during the trip.

3.). Luck plays a major part in Uber because of the randomness of it. I went from a 6-mile ride at 1.4x surge--that's the pax I canceled on--to a 40-mile ride at 2.2x surge in a matter of seconds. Also, I had only made $10 this week--I usually wait an hour at a store near me each night after I get back from work--and lost out on a $50+ net pay on Valentine's Day because of a complicated situation. Now, I can drive on a Saturday with no pressure.

PS: I am mostly talking to people who drive on the Jersey Shore. Different places, different strategies. I couldn't care less about dead miles when I just got paid $3.80/mile. At almost $3 less per mile, that kind of trip isn't that profitable.
Wow nice. Love to see that high surge money. Operating at nearly $2/mile round trip is fantastic. I did around the same with Lyft guarantees tonight. Excellent work

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

AND THAT'S HOW IT WORKS. GOOD THINGS COME TO GOOD PEOPLE. I REST MY CASE CANTEEV!!!

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Most of my cancellationstores are because I am going after a higher surge.

I usually wait until it gets close to 2x and take it. If I am on my way there and I see it is getting higher than I cancel for a higher surge rate.

Plus you will learn what places will pay the higher surge because it's usually 3 to 4 people so it's still cheap when splitting it among each other.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Question since you kinda mentioned it, I had a x2.2 surge and I was only 2 min away. I get there and pax cancels. They then request a ride and of course it's me and now it's a x1.4.

I didn't get a cancel fee because I was only 2min away, very unethical but I can't do anything about that right?

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Question since you kinda mentioned it, I had a x2.2 surge and I was only 2 min away. I get there and pax cancels. They then request a ride and of course it's me and now it's a x1.4.

I didn't get a cancel fee because I was only 2min away, very unethical but I can't do anything about that right?
I'd put a complaint in to Uber about it and say they were gaming the system. Couldn't hurt. Worst they could say is no then you're in the same place you are now.

If you took that ride I hope you onestarred them on principle, though they would have got ignored on principle by me.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts

You had to have driven at least 5 mins in order to get the cancellation fee.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know this, buts it's just so unethical to cancel when I get there and try for a lower price
I am not even sure that is true. I now email Uber about any trip where a pax cancel to ask for a cancellation fee. On some, I think I might have gotten the fee without driving for five minutes.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Boooo hooooo...... "I HATE NYC TRIPS!!... TLC's can have them!!!.... I text every rider to make sure they aren't going into NY!!!.... I'll never take a NYC trip" I was back in Jersey in 5 minutes. Bunch of cry babies
It's all about timing. At the wrong time it could have taken much longer and you know that. You just wanted to "show off" lol.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Right time/surge is the key. That and the fact I sometimes forget to end the trip till I'm back in jersey! Lol
Haha I hope you don't actually do that. Rider is banged with another $20 toll for crossing back into NJ, if you don't end the trip. Have only had a couple of actual round trips to the city and back and boy are they glorious

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
Haha I hope you don't actually do that. Rider is banged with another $20 toll for crossing back into NJ, if you don't end the trip. Have only had a couple of actual round trips to the city and back and boy are they glorious
I'm still waiting for a fare adjustment in the few I've done it hehe... it's not like I do this all the time.. if pax is a jerk complaining about traffic like if you have control of that or blaming you for surge pricing and not tipping, etc then I'll make sure to 'adjust' that fare hehe... besides.. sometimes they'll barely notice because they are already being given front fares but we get paid on distance/time so the difference won't be huge... need to learn to do some math while driving so you come with something than makes sense ;-)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts