Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-I'm looking for good advice on how to keep out of trouble, from having pax scam you too Uber deactivating you for dumb stuff. What things would you have wished you known before problems arose?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Read what steveK2016 has to say on some of this. Particularly his point about ALWAYS having the pax change their destination. He is a fart smel....er smart feller.

Don't driver angry, i.e. don't brake or accelerate hard. Always, always, always have your pax put on their seatbelt.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Polite but firm explanations about why you:
  • can't take small kids w/o car seats
  • can't take 5 pax in a car with 4 pax seat belts
  • lose money when you sit in a drive-thru
  • can't take anyone with an open container of alcohol, whether it's a liter of Glenmorangie or a red Solo cup of cheap beer
Have them ready and don't cave.

Scamming isn't that common in my area; but if I had a fiver for every time five college kids tried to pile into my car, I could knock off an hour early every Friday and Sat night.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I'm looking for good advice on how to keep out of trouble, ... What things would you have wished you known before problems arose?
Hmmm ... :D Wish I'd known ... ;)
  • Folks write "love notes" on your windshield when your car is never washed.
  • Cannot earn much "on the side" selling day-old food, even if it's pre-chewed.
  • Constructive criticism about the way a PAX smells might decrease your tip.
  • Some female PAX do not appreciate complements about the size of various body parts.
  • Giving the slow car blocking your route a "friendly little bump" is more trouble then it's worth.
  • Few cops are willing to play "tag" with their squad cars.
  • It's stupid, but true that some towns allow trees, telephone poles, even cars on the sides of their roads.
  • Your average rating cannot go below 1, no matter what you do.
  • The "Family Guy" is the Perfect "Role Model"

P.S. You may wish to read lots of existing threads on this forum that have more practical advise for new drivers.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
If a ping takes you into an area that you'd be afraid to walk through, just cancel.

Don't start the trip until everyone is in the car and you're ready to put it in gear. This will prevent clown car scenarios where 6 people try to jump in the car at the last minute.

·
Premium Member
11,623 Posts
"It's illegal in Florida."
[*]can't take 5 pax in a car with 4 pax seat belts
"We lose our insurance coverage and it's illegal to drive without insurance. " Actually, I would take them and fare-review it to XL (but that only works because I have an XL car)
[*]lose money when you sit in a drive-thru
"We're not allowed to. Other riders are waiting for rides."
[*]can't take anyone with an open container of alcohol, whether it's a liter of Glenmorangie or a red Solo cup of cheap beer
"Open containers of alcohol are illegal in Florida (and almost everywhere else)."

If they say it's non-alcoholic..."No, sorry. I have no way of knowing what's in the cup."

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"It's illegal in Florida.""We lose our insurance coverage and it's illegal to drive without insurance. " Actually, I would take them and fare-review it to XL (but that only works because I have an XL car)"We're not allowed to. Other riders are waiting for rides.""Open containers of alcohol are illegal in Florida (and almost everywhere else)."

If they say it's non-alcoholic..."No, sorry. I have no way of knowing what's in the cup."
It's not alcohol! Says the girl with pink stuff in her WATER bottle lmao

·
Registered
187 Posts
In a word- FATIGUE.

Watch for those little warning signs. For example, making several small mistakes, saying something really inappropriate by accident, or "everybody else" driving poorly.

These are warning you that you are tired or stressed out. Pull over. Break that rhythm. Take a 15 minute nap.
Take anything Uberschill Karen Stein says with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
467 Posts
In a word- FATIGUE. Watch for those little warning signs. For example, making several small mistakes, saying something really inappropriate by accident, or "everybody else" driving poorly. These are warning you that you are tired or stressed out. Pull over. Break that rhythm. Take a 15 minute nap.
Nah... Shill or no, this is good advice (except for the nap). When you're screwing up, go home. Nothing like a 3am ride in which you make four wrong turns because you're ignoring GPS and the pax are in the back seat looking at each other and rolling their eyes, or worse still white-knuckle-clutching the upholstery. Your name is NO, your sign is NO... Knock it off and go home--you don't really want to find out whether your gap insurance is worth it.

Don't start the trip until everyone is in the car and you're ready to put it in gear. This will prevent clown car scenarios where 6 people try to jump in the car at the last minute.
Hahah, technically speaking, it doesn't prevent them from jumping in the car, it just makes it easier to get 'em back out again. I keep the doors locked until they identify themselves, but they're onto that tactic. The sound of door locks popping is like Pavlov's bell to a frat boy--extra "buddies" show up like magic when they hear it.

I try never to get in a pissing match with those guys. Smile, be polite, repeat "I'm sorry, I can't do it, one seat belt per passenger, it's the law" until they give up. If they say "The last guy let us," I just repeat "I'm sorry, I can't do it." (Saying "That last guy was an idiot" is counter-productive.) Eventually they get tired of sitting in a car that isn't moving, and get out again. If I'm lucky, one will say "How are we supposed to get to Sixth Street then?" and I give them a BIG smile and say "Hey, just cancel this trip and call an SUV--guaranteed six seats, you won't have to rub thighs with Brandon here, and they're all really nice vehicles! Do Sixth Street in style, gentlemen!" Some SUV driver gets a fare, they get to their party, and I get a cancellation fee. Win-win-win.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Driving is a relatively high risk job, but;

insurance
emotional stability (ignore road rage, passenger disrespect)
anticipate potential problems (cars and passengers)
be a 'professional' (not a naive hobbyist, not part of the party scene)

·
Registered
246 Posts
  • can't take 5 pax in a car with 4 pax seat belts
  • lose money when you sit in a drive-thru
  • can't take anyone with an open container of alcohol, whether it's a liter of Glenmorangie or a red Solo cup of cheap beer
Have them ready and don't cave.

Scamming isn't that common in my area; but if I had a fiver for every time five college kids tried to pile into my car, I could knock off an hour early every Friday and Sat night.
Most likely these pax should have low ratings.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
In a word- FATIGUE.

Watch for those little warning signs. For example, making several small mistakes, saying something really inappropriate by accident, or "everybody else" driving poorly.

These are warning you that you are tired or stressed out. Pull over. Break that rhythm. Take a 15 minute nap.
This is good advice. Driving and not getting into accidents is pretty easy (absent bad luck) when you are well rested and focused on driving. But when you are fatigued that is when it becomes hard. This is also how some cab (or rideshare) drivers get caught in a bad situation. They work long hours and often skimp on sleep but eventually it catches up with them whether it is an accident or a heart attack.

On a side note: I know of way too many cab drivers who died in their cabs. Try to take some time to get some walking in every day and avoid the greasy food!

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is good advice. Driving and not getting into accidents is pretty easy (absent bad luck) when you are well rested and focused on driving. But when you are fatigued that is when it becomes hard. This is also how some cab (or rideshare) drivers get caught in a bad situation. They work long hours and often skimp on sleep but eventually it catches up with them whether it is an accident or a heart attack.

On a side note: I know of way too many cab drivers who died in their cabs. Try to take some time to get some walking in every day and avoid the greasy food!
Many of them are on coke. They are zombie drivers (Uber drivers too) They stay online 24/7 trying to make that rent money. They will accept every single request they get.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Eliminate this topics from your conversation list: Religion, Race and Politics. "I'm kind of middle of the road, semi-atheist, color blind person". Stick to it.
Never discuss anything with a drunk.
Follow your instincts, if something does not feel right, it probably isn't.
Stick to the rules on the Terms Of Service: No more pax than seat belts. No underage people, if in doubt ask for ID. No open containers.
Do not take cash rides, that extra $ 10.00 bill can land you in a world of trouble.
Try to learn the main roads and shortcuts quickly.
Always ask pax for his destination and check if the route on the GPS is the one he/she wants to follow.
Always start and end the ride in front of the pax.
Avoid disclosing personal info or ask about theirs.

Ride sharing is a lonesome enterprise, prepare to be bored and to be discouraged. Do no let that keep you from giving your best. You will know if this gig is the right one for you and will learn a few more tricks as you go along. Just try to learn from your mistakes and don't say cold even if you watching penguins.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Eliminate this topics from your conversation list: Religion, Race and Politics. "I'm kind of middle of the road, semi-atheist, color blind person". Stick to it.
Never discuss anything with a drunk.
Follow your instincts, if something does not feel right, it probably isn't.
Stick to the rules on the Terms Of Service: No more pax than seat belts. No underage people, if in doubt ask for ID. No open containers.
Do not take cash rides, that extra $ 10.00 bill can land you in a world of trouble.
Try to learn the main roads and shortcuts quickly.
Always ask pax for his destination and check if the route on the GPS is the one he/she wants to follow.
Always start and end the ride in front of the pax.
Avoid disclosing personal info or ask about theirs.

Ride sharing is a lonesome enterprise, prepare to be bored and to be discouraged. Do no let that keep you from giving your best. You will know if this gig is the right one for you. You will learn a few more tricks as you go along. Just try to learn from your mistakes and don't say cold even if you watching penguins.
A pax asks me right off the bat about politics, strategically the conversation goes to sports. I'm always neutral and agree with the pax for the most part.

You have to be a great story teller

I let the pax choose the route from my phone particularly on longer trips.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts