Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an iPhone 7 Plus and am looking for the best way/device to mount my phone either from the dash board or the windshield. I currently have a "Phone Buddy" but it doesn't stay mounted in the vent. Are windshield mounts better?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Vent mounts are the best, especially if you drive in a city where cops will get on your case for using the phone. I got mine in the vent obscured by my driving wheel.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I'm waiting for "force fields", a la Star Trek. A combination of tractor beams and presser beams will hold my cell phone, tablet, soda, munchies, etc. in place for easy access. There is no truth to the rumors that nefarious drivers are planning to use force fields to "pick the pocket" of PAX for the tips that they should have received :D

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
If you have a high CD player and no longer use CDs like most of the country, I would suggestion something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017HWSDD4/?tag=ubne0c-20

They have cheaper versions but I would recommend the one with 2 magnets so you can do a few things:

If you run two phones for running Uber/Lyft.
If you ruin a tablet, extra support.
Great to just have a second magnet just in case.

Only reason I don't use mine anymore is because in the Cadillac CTS, the CD is low just high enough to clear the gear shift but not enough that anything protruding out would clear the gear shift, so I had to go with a traditional magnet mount that I two sided taped over the Analog clock, which was useless to me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Vent Mount, having something stuck to windshield, or hanging from mirror is an invite to a ticket, if someone needs to make their quota. the town I live in is 'broke', so the Local PD is now ticketing for having the Handicap Placard Hanging from the mirror while vehicle is in motion, easy split of a $250.00 fine.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It's like there should be lists of "best" holders for every model of car. It took me 3 tries to get it right. I was buying it when my car was nearly brand new and I didn't want to use any adhesive on the dash.

My car's dash is shaped and textured so there's no place where a suction cup will hold. I don't have a CD player, and no vents were in good positions for holders. I ended up with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ya/ref...of=&oi=&oid=111-8936174-3425836&tag=ubne0c-20

The arm is really long so you can put the suction cup up behind the mirror and have the phone down below dash level.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For doing uber or any ridesharing, I suggest you use a magnetic car mount, one that is compatible with air vents.

Put it in the middle so your passenger can also the map.

Here is a good list of suggestions for you on simplemechanic dot best-magnetic-car-mount

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I have bought four of these off eBay. I travel with one for work to put in rental cars. And one is in every vehicle we own. And I have a spare just in case one breaks. Haven't needed it yet.

They're fantastic and cost about $7.

[NG]Owner

·
Registered
80 Posts
I prefer mine where I don't have to look away from the road. I have one that mounts on the visor and one that mounts below the rear view mirror

·
Premium Member
11,431 Posts
If money is not an issue use bracketron trucker tough gear rack. I have a large phone and tablet mount on it on the top visor and it has not come off since I put it up there.

If you sign up for useless emails for the rest of your life you get 30% off from the site

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
I use the magnetic WizGear Mount, and it really works. No problems holding my Huawei Mate 10 Pro, which is a large Phone.
Never came off, even when hitting some pot holes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts