Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday, January 25, 2016

A question for experienced Lyft drivers...

I noticed last week that the "Rider View" of the Lyft application shows where other drivers are. Sure wish the "Driver View" had this feature!

When fishing, sometimes it's better take your boat to where all the other fisherman are...and sometimes you have better luck getting away from everyone else.

In your experiences, do you get faster PINGS if you go where other drivers are somewhat congregated? Or, do you get faster PINGS if you get away from other Lyft drivers? Thank-you in advance for your advice!

-Allen in Chicagoland

·
Registered
36 Posts
It better to know what's going on in your city. Because then you will know where the drivers will be. Know when and where concerts are in your city, know when the professionals teams are playing. Know what clubs are going off on different nights. Not every bar, lounge, and club do well every night. Sundays are great days to hang around the hotels and get airport runs. If you live in a big city with a convention center, know when big conventions are in your city. Knowledge is $$$!

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Thanks for your response BurgandyUberVan. I'm going to try your suggested strategy, because SOMETHING has changed with LYFT's service the past 3 days. Over 11 hours "on the clock" and not a single PING. Do you know if there's a way to send ourselves a "Test" Ping? I'm getting paranoid that either something is broken on my phone, or Lyft has banned me, or they have me as a very low priority driver, due to being part-time.

Edit to Add: Just after posting this message, I finally got a PING. Am glad to know that my phone is working all-right and that Lyft hasn't canned me for some reason. But that 11 hour dry-spell seemed like forever! Hopefully those are rare. (I'm still kinda new)

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts

Thanks for your response BurgandyUberVan. I'm going to try your suggested strategy, because SOMETHING has changed with LYFT's service the past 3 days. Over 11 hours "on the clock" and not a single PING. Do you know if there's a way to send ourselves a "Test" Ping? I'm getting paranoid that either something is broken on my phone, or Lyft has banned me, or they have me as a very low priority driver, due to being part-time.

Edit to Add: Just after posting this message, I finally got a PING. Am glad to know that my phone is working all-right and that Lyft hasn't canned me for some reason. But that 11 hour dry-spell seemed like forever! Hopefully those are rare. (I'm still kinda new)
If Chicago is anything like Dallas/Fort Worth - there are just far too many Lyft drivers online recently. I've used Lyft as a passenger 3 times in the last month or so - every driver I had had begun driving within 2-3 days of giving me each ride (two of them were on their first day).

When comparing Lyft vs. Uber in passenger apps, the car density for Lyft always seems much greater in any given area.

Too many cars = the already lower pool of passengers is now spread even more thin among drivers. You're lucky to get 1 trip every 90-120 minutes.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yes, it has been a problem in Philadelphia at times...I'm good at it though. This week post snow-storm has been incredibly profitable for me though.

All I can say is keep the passenger app open on another device at all times and know your market. Go where the other cars aren't, assuming you're in a dense enough area. If your car is fuel efficient you may as well re-position, I do this frequently, especially to get to areas where I know I will be picking up longer rides downtown.

Also be aware that it's still finding the nearest car by distance as the crow flies, not whether you're on the same street. So say in a nightlife area there's no parking on the street with bars, try to sit on a parallel street one block up from the bars to beat the other cars to requests. I know a lot of places to do this in Philadelphia, and no, I'm not telling you where :)

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback and advice for getting the most Lyft rides in the shortest amount of time. Something I'm starting to learn is to hang out in neighborhoods that are not too wealthy and are not close to shopping areas. Doing this gets me a higher ratio of passengers who need to go to the Airport (9 miles / $19 ave commission + tips are common), or to Downtown Chicago (28 miles/$40 ave commission). People in the higher net-worth neighborhoods use Limousines for these trips. Hanging around malls and or adjacent neighborhoods generates too many short-haul runs.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your getting to know your territory :)

Wish you the best out there!
Thanks CIN90! My next project will be to ask Lyft to enable us to set a destination and pick up a rider along that route, if one pops up.

I often drop passengers off in downtown Chicago, which is 35 miles from my home territory. After dropping them off, I immediately close my LYFT app, to prevent receiving any PINGS. The last thing I'd want is to pick up a person downtown who wants to go 35 miles SE, when I want to go 35 miles NW. If I have time left in my schedule, I turn the Lyft App back on once getting close to home, but $0 is made during the 35 mile return trip.

I would like to ferry a passenger along with me back out the NW suburbs from Chicago..and I'm sure Lyft would like for me to be available to do so. Lyft has the technology. We just have to work out a system where drivers can do this, using our Lyft Driver App.

·
Registered
570 Posts
We have that feature in these parts. It's called 'Destination Filter' and it does as you described. :)

Sounds like you would benefit from it. I haven't had much luck with it.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have that feature in these parts. It's called 'Destination Filter' and it does as you described. :)

WOW! NO SH$T? I will start learning what I can about the "Destination Filter" right now. If it allows us to only pickup passengers along a pre-defined route, that would be a prayer answered! Thanks again for being so knowledgeable CIN90. You and other members of this awesome forum make me realize how inadequate Lyfts' official driver training is.

·
Registered
61 Posts

That feature doesn't work well at all. LFYT shows your route to your destination, like gps showing you the shortest route, and only would match you with PAX that are X distance along your route, who are to be dropped off along your route. Make this match quite a small pool if not any.

A good design would be to have break down an area into multiple territories (perhaps by the cities), and allow Drivers to select multiple cities as the Destination instead of the route.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

CIN90, just following-up to thank-you for letting me know about the Destination Filter. After learning how to use it, I set it for my return to home route, after dropping off a lady in downtown Chicago. My home is 34 miles to the Northwest. Unfortunately, I didn't get any PINGS before leaving downtown, but about 7 miles shy of home, I got Pinged to pick up a passenger. He was 1 mile north of my route and heading to Woodfield, which is 3 miles from my home. It wasn't a big fare, but I was thankful (and relieved!) that he was headed in my general direction.

This Destination Filter is just what the doctor ordered if you're near the end of the day, many miles from home, but are willing to pick up someone along your route, who is heading in your general direction. (I don't know how wide that passenger pickup/destination tunnel along your pre-defined route is though.)

·
Registered
570 Posts
That feature doesn't work well at all. LFYT shows your route to your destination, like gps showing you the shortest route, and only would match you with PAX that are X distance along your route, who are to be dropped off along your route. Make this match quite a small pool if not any.

A good design would be to have break down an area into multiple territories (perhaps by the cities), and allow Drivers to select multiple cities as the Destination instead of the route.
What I don't like is it automatically routes you a certain way vs. your preferred way. E.g., I prefer to take the street home vs. the freeway. It automatically puts the freeway route which is longer mileage and a general crappy way to get home. If I tap the screen while I'm driving the street route, it will eventually change, but agreed - that feature can use some work.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's awesome! It's certainly better than dead-miling it back home.

So glad this worked for you! AllenChicago
What's interesting and a credit to this forum, is that I asked Lyft Support about this the same time I posted my question in this thread. Their answer was the same as yours, but guess who came through FIRST? A fellow LYFT driver! Thanks again Cin90. (Forgive me if you're a lady)

The NEXT thing I'd like to see is for us to be able let the Lyft system know that we only want pickups and drop-offs within an XX mile radius. I turn off my Lyft app 1.5 hours before I have to pick up my son at 3:30pm, because I just don't know how far a passenger needs to go. If I could limit the radius, I could stay in Driver Mode all the way up to 3:00pm, instead of 2:30pm, like I do now.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yes, I very much am a lady, AllenChicago :^)

That's what we're here for. . to help each other out. Thanks :)

The feature you described would be such a benefit. One never knows what will come next :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Yes, I very much am a lady, AllenChicago :^)

That's what we're here for. . to help each other out. Thanks :)

The feature you described would be such a benefit. One never knows what will come next :cool:
That would be a great feature, call it something like "Local Mode", and it would limit requests sent to you to be within either a predefined local radius (say, ~10 miles), or even better, a user provided range.

This could even be paired with the destination feature, where if it does drag you 10 miles away, the network knows that it should only provide rides that will bring you back toward the center of your "Local" defined area.

You'd think they would want more drivers willing to do short/cheap rides.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That would be a great feature, call it something like "Local Mode", and it would limit requests sent to you to be within either a predefined local radius (say, ~10 miles), or even better, a user provided range.

This could even be paired with the destination feature, where if it does drag you 10 miles away, the network knows that it should only provide rides that will bring you back toward the center of your "Local" defined area.

Too bad Sidecar went under, they had these features. You set your pickup and drop off radius and wait.... You could also set you minimum fares.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I asked LYFT support about the ability to limit our arrivals & destinations within a xx mile radius. And if not, to please forward the suggestion to Operations management for consideration. This is the response I received:

"Hello Allen,

Thanks for reaching out and voicing your suggestion!

We're glad to inform you that Lyft actually has a feature that's similar, called 'Destination Filter'. The destination filter basically allows you to enter the destination you are heading towards to filter Lyft Line requests that are going in the same direction. The route itself is mandatory, and needs to be followed so that any Lyft Line requests plotted along the route can be matched to you.

If you're in a region that has Lyft Line, you can tap the arrow in the top right corner and select 'Add destination filter.' When it's active, you'll only receive requests for Lyft Line rides along your route, in the same direction! You can use this option 3 times per driving session, per day.

You can find more information on Lyft's new feature on https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/213586028-How-to-Use-the-Destination-Filter.

We are always working with drivers to continually improve the service that Lyft provides, so hearing this kind of feedback is extremely helpful. Please let me know if there's anything else that Lyft can do for you, we are more than happy to help!

Best,

Michael
Lyft Support Representative"

--This is the exact word-for-word response I received last week when I asked if there was a way we could limit our passenger pickups and drop-offs to a pre-determined route. I appreciated Lyft support letting me know of "Destination Filter". But it's the wrong answer to the question about limiting our pick-ups/drop-offs to a certain mile radius. Oh well... I'll try to get this suggestion to the appropriate Lyft management another way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts