Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new wanna be UBER driver here. Read all 5 pages of the first post for newbies. Great info! However I cannot seem to find a post on ideal car to use for Uber.

We have one primary vehicle in my household so a second vehicle will be purchased and designated as the Uber/secondary vehicle.

Part of me thinks a used 2010 or above hybrid would be ideal since they are great in gas. Another part of me thinks a compact crossover SUV would be also ideal since we do have a lot of snow days and I live fairly close to Newark airport and so a vehicle that can handle room for suitcases and bad weather would be a plus.

Those of you who have been on the road for at least 6 months. What does your experience tells you? Small hybrid or Compact 4WD ?

Thank you in advance!
Ricardo

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Hello, new wanna be UBER driver here. Read all 5 pages of the first post for newbies. Great info! However I cannot seem to find a post on ideal car to use for Uber.

We have one primary vehicle in my household so a second vehicle will be purchased and designated as the Uber/secondary vehicle.

Part of me thinks a used 2010 or above hybrid would be ideal since they are great in gas. Another part of me thinks a compact crossover SUV would be also ideal since we do have a lot of snow days and I live fairly close to Newark airport and so a vehicle that can handle room for suitcases and bad weather would be a plus.

Those of you who have been on the road for at least 6 months. What does your experience tells you? Small hybrid or Compact 4WD ?

Thank you in advance!
Ricardo
What's your budget? I would recommend spending no more than 8,000 if you are just starting out.

Do you plan to do this full or part time?

My recommendation is getting a used Sienna or Chrysler Town and Country, 2005 or newer.

After you buy it, get it FULLY detailed inside and out, and buy weathertechs for it.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
The Bentley is a "little" off my budget lol! Budget is $15,000. Expecting to drive 3-4 hours daily, seven days a week.
Don't spend 15,000 just to do this part-time.

New recommendation: Ford Flex. Can get a used one for about 10k, Make sure you get the version that is 2-3-2, NOT the one with a console in the center row. If the car only has six seatbelts (5 pax plus driver) it won't qualify for XL.

Flex is boxy, but it's roomy and gets decent gas mileage for an XL. Pax love it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good point on the UberXL since my ideal 2 crossover SUVs: Nissan Rogue & Subaru XV Crosstrek, both have a seating capacity of 5

How about the Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Seats 7 and better mpg!

Update: nevermind on the Highlander, after checking the price point for a used 2010 or above!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone has any experience riding or driving a Kia Soul? Although it won't qualify as UberXl it does seem to handle well in Winter, ok mpg and fits my budget. Curious if anyone has any hands on experience

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

Thank you in advance!
Ricardo
I drive a 2012 Kia Forte. No frills. 3,200+ rides, my rating has been 4.81 to 4.83 for the last 3,000 rides or so.
I'd prefer a hybrid, but it's what I have.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like the old Nissan Altima hybrid. Very underrated. Perfect Uber to do in jersey. Here's one for $5,000

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/6019443813.html

This one for $3900

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/6020498910.html
I also like the Altima. Good trunk space for luggage, Good MPG...24 on a 2006 with 150K. I got a steal at $2300 and doesn't burn a drop of oil and in great shape. That kind of deal will probably never happen again.
It is underrated so you don't pay the premium you will with a toyota or honda but Nissan is just as good or maybe better. I gave my old one to one of my kids with 275K on it and it still running great a year later. I heard that the Maxima, much nicer ride, actually gets better MPG.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I drive a Toyota Sienna 2005, It's a V6 but the Engine is smaller than most minivans 3.3L so I get about 22MPG combined. If you keep up with the maintenance you can get up to 300k miles. Mine its 170k miles and it drives like a gem, It rides very smoothly and its very reliable, people love riding in comfort, plus you got the advantage of accepting both X and XL. You can't beat a Toyota!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts