Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Registered
4,117 Posts
I can't imagine a scenario where Comfort is cheaper than X
As a customer, I've compared on many dozens of occasions over the past three years. I've never seen anything lower priced than UberX except Uber share (pool). Not saying it's never happened to anyone else but the cannibalistic nature of it would indeed be odd from Uber's perspective.

· Premium Member
3,886 Posts
A passenger may also choose comfort because they get a higher rated driver and less chance of a clown driver and clown car showing up.

· Premium Member
4,279 Posts
Honda Accord Hybrid... I've commented on this before. Awesome. Rock solid reliability. Doesn't look like a prius. Roomy. EPA 47mpg, my real world experience is an average of 40-42. I live in hilly country, I don't drive like a grandma, and half of my miles are highway 80mph.
Ted, do the hills improve your gas mileage due to the braking?

· Premium Member
1,717 Posts
So kinda yes but kinda no... going down hill coasting charges the battery some, more so when using the regenerative braking, but then, it takes more energy to go up the hill than to propel the car on the flat. So I guess the accurate statement would be downhill diminishes the negative effects of going uphill at least partially.

If I didn't have 50 miles highway to and from my work "zone" at 80mph, my mpg would be 46 or higher.

I've tested this. Went to the zone, filled up, reset trip B stats, drove all night 12 hours city only, then check stats before hitting the highway home. One time it was even as high as 50mpg. Good stuff.

Highway driving at 55mph is much better than 80mph. But who drives 55?

· Premium Member
4,279 Posts
So kinda yes but kinda no... going down hill coasting charges the battery some, more so when using the regenerative braking, but then, it takes more energy to go up the hill than to propel the car on the flat. So I guess the accurate statement would be downhill diminishes the negative effects of going uphill at least partially.

If I didn't have 50 miles highway to and from my work "zone" at 80mph, my mpg would be 46 or higher.

I've tested this. Went to the zone, filled up, reset trip B stats, drove all night 12 hours city only, then check stats before hitting the highway home. One time it was even as high as 50mpg. Good stuff.

Highway driving at 55mph is much better than 80mph. But who drives 55?

Good info. Thank you

· Registered
4,117 Posts
In a traditional braking system, friction between the brake pads and the brake rotors, and between the wheels and the surface of the road, helps bring the vehicle to a halt. Regenerative braking works in a very different way. When the driver presses the brake pedal of a hybrid or electric vehicle, the electric motor reverses. This causes the motor to run backwards, slowing down the car's wheels. While running backwards, the motor will also work as an electric generator, literally producing electricity from the kinetic energy, which is then fed into the battery. Regenerative brakes work better at certain speeds. They generally work well around the city, where there is a lot of stop-start driving, and the vehicle is generally driven at lower speeds. Friction brakes are normally also fitted to hybrid and fully electric cars, so that when they are driven on the highway and or at speed, the vehicle is still able to brake effectively. This process is managed by a regenerative braking controller, which is able to determine when each system should be used. The braking controller also determines whether the electricity produced is used straight away, or stored. With regenerative braking systems, drivers are very often able to determine how regenerative brakes should work via a number of presets. It is possible, for example, for regenerative brakes to be activated as soon as the driver takes his or her foot off the accelerator, even before he or she has pressed the brake pedal.
Source

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Current frontrunner is a 2019 Ford Fusion SE hybrid with 44500 miles. Hopefully picking it up Monday afternoon, unless something better crops up before then.

Really want that 2017 Accord 6-speed, but hybrid is what I feel is financially responsible for my family. Unless the battery craps out, of course.....lol....?

· Registered
4,117 Posts
Current frontrunner is a 2019 Ford Fusion SE hybrid with 44500 miles. Hopefully picking it up Monday afternoon, unless something better crops up before then.

Really want that 2017 Accord 6-speed, but hybrid is what I feel is financially responsible for my family. Unless the battery craps out, of course.....lol....?

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

· Banned
24 Posts
Toyota's hybrid system is the most mature and the one which makes the most sense, and that includes their plugin hybrid. Others' not so much. Check out Hybrid Chrysler Pacifica. The stupidity and over-engineering in that thing will make you cringe. It is plain stupid. Ford was smart enough to not go the stupid route and they simply copied Toyota.

Watch Chrysler's stupidity. If anyone buys this stupid thing, then they should be ready to have a miserable experience after 100,000 miles. Everything will fall apart and it will be cheaper to leave it in a junkyard then to fix it

· Banned
24 Posts
I suppose we differ on the standard called good. 🙂
Pacifica made it to 500,000 miled on the original 3.6 L Pentastar V6 and the 8-speed ZF transmission. That's not good enough for you?
Ram ProMaster with the same engine and transmission made it to 626,000 miles, not good enough? Half a million miles for the Ram heavy duty with the Cummins is a piece of cake. Stop by a taxi driver who has a Dodge Grand Caravan, they're happy with them. Just recently I saw one with 186,000 miles with no repairs whatsoever

· Registered
4,117 Posts
Pacifica made it to 500,000 miled on the original 3.6 L Pentastar V6 and the 8-speed ZF transmission. That's not good enough for you?
Ram ProMaster with the same engine and transmission made it to 626,000 miles, not good enough? Half a million miles for the Ram heavy duty with the Cummins is a piece of cake. Stop by a taxi driver who has a Dodge Grand Caravan, they're happy with them. Just recently I saw one with 186,000 miles with no repairs whatsoever
I understand that outliers exist. No disagreement on that. But that's the thing: your examples are highly unusual. Most owners won't have anywhere close to those results. One can keep any POS running forever with sufficient babying and parts swapping.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts