Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"To combat the anticipated parking congestion at the marina, both residents and visitors are strongly encouraged to utilize alternative modes of transportation.

For those who plan to enjoy the marina this summer, alternative modes of transportation are strongly encouraged.

“I encourage people to ride your bike, walk, take an Uber, take a cab,” Mayor Doherty said in an effort to curb what will likely be a parking frenzy at the marina this summer".

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Of course, because then he can have cops stationed at drop off points and ticket the Uber drivers to make more income for the town lol. Most of the shore towns should embrace the ride share companies as they will eliminate the traffic to and from everywhere, we all know how much the traffic sucks when out of towners come down, so make a deal and move on.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I thought Belmar and Spring Lake ticket uber heavily

·
Registered
13 Posts
The police do ticket heavily in Belmar. Especially in the summer months. I don't see that ending because the Mayor has no idea what the police are doing. The Mayor (just like many others seeking higher office), is a bag of wind.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
"To combat the anticipated parking congestion at the marina, both residents and visitors are strongly encouraged to utilize alternative modes of transportation.

For those who plan to enjoy the marina this summer, alternative modes of transportation are strongly encouraged.

"I encourage people to ride your bike, walk, take an Uber, take a cab," Mayor Doherty said in an effort to curb what will likely be a parking frenzy at the marina this summer".
This article should be be printed, saved, and used for any defense of Uber tickets in Belmar. As long as you operate safely, you have been invited to operate in Belmar by the mayor

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Really the only place Belmar tickets drivers is at Bar A and the Boathouse
Maybe they can set up a dedicated ride share pickup and drop off area so as to not clog up the area. Caveat is the passengers better be at the pickup area when they are requesting and not still in the bar paying the tab.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am sure that the Mayor has not updated any of the municipal ordinances that require a ride for hire or taxi permit for Belmar. The cops want to write you, they will regardless of an invite from the Mayor.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Really the only place Belmar tickets drivers is at Bar A and the Boathouse
That is Lake Como, not Belmar, but last I checked, the Lake Como PD is no more and Belmar will be policing.

You have to understand: there is a dedicated taxi line in front of Bar A and they are right next to a taxi company. Just not a good idea to pick up there. Have the pax walk.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Maybe, just maybe, the reason Belmar (and other shore towns) seem so tough on Uber drivers is because the large amount of north Jersey drivers that come to the shore for the better payday, and in the process do not pay attention to the way things are done down here. For instance, a U-Turn up north is mostly overlooked, down here it si a ticketable offense. Plus the common act of double parking to wait for a pax is not a welcome sight on the shore. The guys/girls who work the shore on a regular basis are not the ones getting tickets (for the most part.) Try to obey the rules of the road and use common sense, I bet the cops will not be hunting for you.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Maybe, just maybe, the reason Belmar (and other shore towns) seem so tough on Uber drivers is because the large amount of north Jersey drivers that come to the shore for the better payday, and in the process do not pay attention to the way things are done down here. For instance, a U-Turn up north is mostly overlooked, down here it si a ticketable offense. Plus the common act of double parking to wait for a pax is not a welcome sight on the shore. The guys/girls who work the shore on a regular basis are not the ones getting tickets (for the lost part.) Try to obey the rules of the road and use common sense, I bet the cops will not be hunting for you.
Absolutely correct. You need to drive to the letter of the law down the shore. Key thing to remember: Yellow means Red.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am sure that the Mayor has not updated any of the municipal ordinances that require a ride for hire or taxi permit for Belmar. The cops want to write you, they will regardless of an invite from the Mayor.
There is a form on the Belmar website for a taxi driver license in Belmar(although the form is for cab drivers) . Belmar also auctioned off several summer only licenses for last summer. I believe that is why they cracked down on Uber. Either way the Mayor is a moron, but hopefully smart enuf to lay off Uber drivers. He recently appointed a new chief of police so hopefully a new direction for Uber.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Wanted to also throw this in. I was informed the other day from a reliable local source that the borough of sea girt is allowing uber at Parker house at the end of first ave by the boardwalk. "Designated UBER pickup area" taxis will still have the side door where people come out but to avoid congestion this has been placed in effect.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
The sea gurt cops have told me in the past that if I go there, they are cool with it
Good then lets do it this summer. Only pick up and drop off at the end of 1st ave. This way we don't get hassled by the cops, I don't want to see any of you dropping off or picking at the side or front entrance with the taxis....please!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts