Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been driving for a few weeks now. I mainly work the evenings and weekend hours in Philadelphia and at first, I was riding high on that 5.0 but now with a few low ratings I’m down to a 4.86. I’ve been super stressed out about that and can only imagine who the F gave low ratings and why. It could be any number of the few passengers I reported for trying to beak rules, and laws, in my car.

1. What are you supposed to do? just ignore pax shit? not report it? wait at least a week to change your rating and report it so they don’t know it was you? (I think I like that last one). My car is super clean, I vacuum and wipe everything down once a night, hand wash the car once a week (no swirl factories thank you), offer more amenities then I ought to. I drive safely and make or not make conversation when appropriate. So I can only assume it was retaliation or some other bull.

2. …for real though… that first non five felt like it was from Judas himself.

3. is the 4.6 axe real? the whole rating thing is super stressfull.

4. Is the phone support actually in Philly? My Account-> Help screen doesn’t have the blue phone icon like Uber website says it should.

5. Is there some period of time that has to pass or some criteria that needs to be met for promotions? I haven’t got anything yet.

6. Someone mentioned to me about “tiered” promotions if you have a 2010 or later, is that the regular promotions, something different, or the rantings of a lunatic?

7. Besides Uber and Lyft are there any other things I should be looking into? I’ve seen some people mention about delivery services. anyone care to share? I want more money.

8. Also, I’ve been toying with the idea of making interior pax facing signs, I’ve seen ones on amazon, and none of them say quite what I want to say. Anyone have success making their own yet?

9. Oh! And with the whole service animal thing: I am not against transporting service animals, but can I demand that it be done safely? With a dog for instance I plan on getting the vest seat belt thing. If that pax refuses to use it, as is the law in NJ actually, and I refuse to endanger the animal is that still grounds for deactivation? With other animals it would have to be something like a carrying crate belted to the seat. (NJ only has the law about dogs though

I’m being lite on the personal details because part of me knows Uber read this stuff and I fear that retaliation for complaining or just plain talking will be swift and petty.

OH! I forgot my most important question. if there is a matter which a driver (or rider for that matter) thinks that it should involve the police or some kind of later legal action, how do you take action against someone who's identity you know only by a first name, if thats even the registered user and ever their real name? the Contract is worded like Uber is just aiding the driver and the pax in a business relationship with each other, but the actual act is closer to anonymous parties.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ratings only make a difference in the beginning when you start driving. Stars move like crazy, but after 1000 rides a 1 star will not have any impact on your overall score. Just be friendly with passenger and complain to Uber if you have a problem and not to a pax since they will retaliate and down rate you even if everything you did was 5* service but just picked up a obnoxious pax.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Replying about rating: get a charger for iphone and android. Offer it before the ride starts. Pax really appreciate it.

Oh, and start looking for a better job;)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I assume you have read the Beginner posts which covers much of your concerns. Bottom line is don't worry about your ratings. There is nothing you can do about a PAX randomly rating you below a 5.
A few facts:
At least 1/3 of PAX don't even bother rating you.
Uber only calculates your rating based on your last 500 rides so lower rating eventually drop off.
Depends on the market but Uber won't bother you until your rating gets real low.
Sometimes we have a bad night and might deserve a a lower rating or two don't worry about.
Clean car, be polite, follow the best route and get them where they want to be safely and you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
15,944 Posts
I realized after the first night of driving, that this is not a career, or even a long term gig. It's a gig.
I will deliver my pax's safely to their destination. I will do the best I can to serve them, but I won't powder and kiss their asses.
I wouldn't even rate them if I didn't have to. I'm not a very good judge.
When (not if, but when) Uber doesn't want me drive for them any more they will fire me, and I won't lose any sleep over it.
I've lost minimum wage jobs before, and managed to survive. I know I will survive Uber too.

Just do the job until Uber decides that they can find someone better.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
So I've been driving for a few weeks now. I mainly work the evenings and weekend hours in Philadelphia and at first, I was riding high on that 5.0 but now with a few low ratings I'm down to a 4.86. I've been super stressed out about that and can only imagine who the F gave low ratings and why. It could be any number of the few passengers I reported for trying to beak rules, and laws, in my car.

1. What are you supposed to do? just ignore pax shit? not report it? wait at least a week to change your rating and report it so they don't know it was you? (I think I like that last one). My car is super clean, I vacuum and wipe everything down once a night, hand wash the car once a week (no swirl factories thank you), offer more amenities then I ought to. I drive safely and make or not make conversation when appropriate. So I can only assume it was retaliation or some other bull.

4. Is the phone support actually in Philly? My Account-> Help screen doesn't have the blue phone icon like Uber website says it should.

5. Is there some period of time that has to pass or some criteria that needs to be met for promotions? I haven't got anything yet.

6. Someone mentioned to me about "tiered" promotions if you have a 2010 or later, is that the regular promotions, something different, or the rantings of a lunatic?

7. Besides Uber and Lyft are there any other things I should be looking into? I've seen some people mention about delivery services. anyone care to share? I want more money.

8. Also, I've been toying with the idea of making interior pax facing signs, I've seen ones on amazon, and none of them say quite what I want to say. Anyone have success making their own yet?

9. Oh! And with the whole service animal thing: I am not against transporting service animals, but can I demand that it be done safely? With a dog for instance I plan on getting the vest seat belt thing. If that pax refuses to use it, as is the law in NJ actually, and I refuse to endanger the animal is that still grounds for deactivation? With other animals it would have to be something like a carrying crate belted to the seat. (NJ only has the law about dogs though

I'm being lite on the personal details because part of me knows Uber read this stuff and I fear that retaliation for complaining or just plain talking will be swift and petty.

OH! I forgot my most important question. if there is a matter which a driver (or rider for that matter) thinks that it should involve the police or some kind of later legal action, how do you take action against someone who's identity you know only by a first name, if thats even the registered user and ever their real name? the Contract is worded like Uber is just aiding the driver and the pax in a business relationship with each other, but the actual act is closer to anonymous parties.
Dont mean to be a smart a$$ed monkey...

Butt...if you search each of these items...

There are 100s of post answering them...

Most here will help you anytime...

Butt...use the search feature a lot...8>)

Good luck!

Rakos

PS. Uber changes the answers regularly...

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
So I've been driving for a few weeks now. I mainly work the evenings and weekend hours in Philadelphia and at first, I was riding high on that 5.0 but now with a few low ratings I'm down to a 4.86. I've been super stressed out about that and can only imagine who the F gave low ratings and why. It could be any number of the few passengers I reported for trying to beak rules, and laws, in my car.

1. What are you supposed to do? just ignore pax shit? not report it? wait at least a week to change your rating and report it so they don't know it was you? (I think I like that last one). My car is super clean, I vacuum and wipe everything down once a night, hand wash the car once a week (no swirl factories thank you), offer more amenities then I ought to. I drive safely and make or not make conversation when appropriate. So I can only assume it was retaliation or some other bull.

4. Is the phone support actually in Philly? My Account-> Help screen doesn't have the blue phone icon like Uber website says it should.

5. Is there some period of time that has to pass or some criteria that needs to be met for promotions? I haven't got anything yet.

6. Someone mentioned to me about "tiered" promotions if you have a 2010 or later, is that the regular promotions, something different, or the rantings of a lunatic?

7. Besides Uber and Lyft are there any other things I should be looking into? I've seen some people mention about delivery services. anyone care to share? I want more money.

8. Also, I've been toying with the idea of making interior pax facing signs, I've seen ones on amazon, and none of them say quite what I want to say. Anyone have success making their own yet?

I'm being lite on the personal details because part of me knows Uber read this stuff and I fear that retaliation for complaining or just plain talking will be swift and petty.

Bring your thoughts over to the local forum at https://uberpeople.net/forums/Philadelphia/. There is plenty of great info on the main forum sites, but you'll be able to get much better local info about driving in Phila if you post over on that part of the forum and hang out with the rest of us from the area!

Oh, and I am NOT telling you what to do, but be VERY careful with service animals. As you read on, you'll find out the customer is always right and we are always wrong when there is a complaint. Refusing to take a service animal is about the quickest way to get deactivated. So again, read Uber/Lyft requirements about taking them and think very carefully before you make a decision on what to do when you get your first pickup with a service animal.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I stressed over ratings in the beginning, now I don't care. You'll notice you'll get 5 stars like crazy. When I first started, I had these kids, got into an argument before they even got in my car, they 1 starred me and I knew that was coming, should have just left them there. So my 5 star went to a 4.6, worked my way up to like 4.9, and some girl gave me a 1 star for no apparent reason whatsoever, dropping me to a 4.79. Now I'm hovering around 4.83 since pax don't rate. But it's nothing to worry about. Just keep doing what you're doing, just be nice, drive safe and you'll get your rating up.

·
Premium Member
70,585 Posts
I stressed over ratings in the beginning, now I don't care. You'll notice you'll get 5 stars like crazy. When I first started, I had these kids, got into an argument before they even got in my car, they 1 starred me and I knew that was coming, should have just left them there. So my 5 star went to a 4.6, worked my way up to like 4.9, and some girl gave me a 1 star for no apparent reason whatsoever, dropping me to a 4.79. Now I'm hovering around 4.83 since pax don't rate. But it's nothing to worry about. Just keep doing what you're doing, just be nice, drive safe and you'll get your rating up.
Angry Pax Always Rate.

Good luck!

Rakos

And the " CONTRACTS" !

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Don't worry about it. Riders may sometimes have legitimate reasons to rate low, but they also rate low because they expect Select/Black type cars and service for X prices. They rate low because maybe they didn't like your car for whatever reason and don't want to be matched up again. They rate low because you wouldn't let that 5th person in, or made them dump their drinks, or refused to wait in the 20 deep drive thru line at Taco Bell. They rate low just because they're ***holes. :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for your replies, i appreciate the help. i'll look more in the Philly section for the questions other than the ratings one.

Good luck!

Rakos

I did look through a lot of this site and the drivers subreddit, the actual questions are questions i was still unclear on due to 1. conflicting info out there, or 2. finding only unclear or vague info. maybe thats cause, like you said, the answers change.

I didn't even realize I was being trolled until I got to the doggy seat belts. ;)
not a troll at all. those things are real and should be a serious concern for everyone. just like any other passenger that animals life is in your hands.

I assume you have read the Beginner posts which covers much of your concerns. Bottom line is don't worry about your ratings. There is nothing you can do about a PAX randomly rating you below a 5.
A few facts:
At least 1/3 of PAX don't even bother rating you.
Uber only calculates your rating based on your last 500 rides so lower rating eventually drop off.
Depends on the market but Uber won't bother you until your rating gets real low.
Sometimes we have a bad night and might deserve a a lower rating or two don't worry about.
Clean car, be polite, follow the best route and get them where they want to be safely and you will be fine.
I have read through that and many recent postings as well as searched most of what i asked. some of it is in the beginners post, some of my questions are a bit more specific than whats in there though. of course i may have missed something idk. also for at least two of them i was looking mainly for personal experience

·
Super Moderator
7,404 Posts
Keep your wits about you and you will figure it out. Also be nice to Uber support when you have a complaint. As others have said: focus on the absolute basics:. Clean car, polite greeting/goodbye, drive safely and take an appropriate route. Put on soft volume classic rock/pop. Ain't no thang but a chicken wang.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I realized after the first night of driving, that this is not a career, or even a long term gig. It's a gig.
I will deliver my pax's safely to their destination. I will do the best I can to serve them, but I won't powder and kiss their asses.
I wouldn't even rate them if I didn't have to. I'm not a very good judge.
When (not if, but when) Uber doesn't want me drive for them any more they will fire me, and I won't lose any sleep over it.
I've lost minimum wage jobs before, and managed to survive. I know I will survive Uber too.

Just do the job until Uber decides that they can find someone better.
This is the best advice anyone can give you. There is zero job security with UBER. Zero. Could be driving for them for years with spotless record and then one day PAX makes a complaint and its deactivated.

Never depend on UBER for income. When the first $1000.00 car repair comes due, understand where your "Earnings' went too.

·
Super Moderator
7,404 Posts
This is the best advice anyone can give you. There is zero job security with UBER. Zero. Could be driving for them for years with spotless record and then one day PAX makes a complaint and its deactivated.

Never depend on UBER for income. When the first $1000.00 car repair comes due, understand where your "Earnings' went too.
I plan for $1000+ repairs. In fact I largely use Uber to pay for transportation to and from work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.