Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I am quiet shocked Uber does not have phone support for this, so I found this forum and figured I would ask the experienced crowd here since their email back and forth is a bit slow and they dont quiet understand what you are asking since some of their messages seem somewhat automated.

Uber is almost done with the background check for myself, and my goal is to driver UberBLACK in NJ (I am in NJ) and wanted to know If this is a good idea or to work in the city only.

My goal was to buy one of the Lincoln (MKT or MKS possibly) thats used with some miles on it for less than 30K. Now, I understand If uber offers the option to do UberBLACK only, it shouldn't be hard to do a few airport runs a day and slowly make that money back within the year and turn it into a profit. The only reason I am choosing the lincoln is because it seems to be one of the less expensive cars for UberBLACK (correct me if you have a better choice) and it seems to be a good ride on the NJ roads IMO.

My questions are these:

1) Is it best to do UberBLACK in NJ or NYC? or are you actually allowed in both states with no issues? From what I am reading, get NYC TLC license, drive in both NY and NJ.
2) How hard is it to get a limo license in NJ to drive commercial? There doesnt seem to be much information about this.
3) Do you need to purchase a vehicle from one of their approved dealers or can go to my own dealer and request the car that is available for UberBLACK?
4) I am confused on these OL plates / TLC license. It seems like TLC license is required to drive UberBLACK. Are OL plates required as well? How does this whole process work?
5) Is insurance covered in the hourly pay of your drivers If you are a partner?

Thank you for your help, looking forward to participating in the community with other fellow drivers.

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
I'm going to split this up:

If you want to work in NYC *at all*, you need to get set up with the New York TLC, Taxi and Livery Commission. With all of the licensing, inspection, applications, and insurance, you are looking at about a 5-10K outlay of cash.

You can drive in both New Jersey and New York with TLC plates, but you can still expect police hassling you at certain points in New Jersey. Specifically the places you'll make the most money, like Newark Airport.

If you want to work in NJ as Uber Black, you need to get OL plates, that are only issued in NJ. It is notoriously hard to get set up as a OL in NJ because of getting the insurance. The paperwork part is easy; insurance not so much.

Do not, do not, DO NOT buy a vehicle just to do Uber Black without an understanding of how the system works and IF YOU CAN PAY FOR THE CAR WITHOUT UBER.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi, OL plates are very hard to get in NJ and you need a special permit to pick up in the city. Now if you get TLC plates you will be able to pick up in all 3 states. I know is not fair and it dose not make sense but that how the deal is. Now if you are Uber black you will need to accept Uber X trips also which are 80 % or the requested fares. If is NYC price is ok but at NJ price not really. Anyway all together it will work out well. If you have TLC plates you can pick up at all EWR, JFK & LGA. I make easy 150$ / a day with Uber X in NJ. ( around 10 hours shift) more or less. That is my money after all cuts , less gas. But gas is crazy cheap now so is no problem. For the car I will suggest a Lexus ES. There are nice cars, very reliable, and have a way better resale value that a MJS/MKT that everybody knows that are limos!!! Welcome to the team and DON T listen to idiots who will tell you that UBER is not worth it, you break your car, all the bs. Yes you will have very bad days and very good days. Bring home around 2500$ /month after all all all cuts including tolls and gas. I don t calculate depreciation. The car is made to produce money not to make 50 miles a week. . With Uber Black TLC tiu should make Arouna 4k a month after all all curs inclusiv your comercial insurance with you have to pay yourself. So yes you will definetly make the 30k back in 6-8 months, depends how much you work. The numbers above are for full time driving. 60 hours a week not 100 like some crazy people!!! Now all the limo companies owners will tell you that is not worth it and you should go and work for them so they can get more wallet fat. Uber is not perfect, is not great but is better that working for somebody. Everything you make is yours. Uber takes 20% out of every fare in NJ. I think that in NYC is

·
Registered
971 Posts
25% . Sorry my bad. Anyway welcome and get on the street. If you like driving and you hate dirty jobs you will love this.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I'm going to split this up:

If you want to work in NYC *at all*, you need to get set up with the New York TLC, Taxi and Livery Commission. With all of the licensing, inspection, applications, and insurance, you are looking at about a 5-10K outlay of cash.

You can drive in both New Jersey and New York with TLC plates, but you can still expect police hassling you at certain points in New Jersey. Specifically the places you'll make the most money, like Newark Airport.

If you want to work in NJ as Uber Black, you need to get OL plates, that are only issued in NJ. It is notoriously hard to get set up as a OL in NJ because of getting the insurance. The paperwork part is easy; insurance not so much.

Do not, do not, DO NOT buy a vehicle just to do Uber Black without an understanding of how the system works and IF YOU CAN PAY FOR THE CAR WITHOUT UBER.
You are right. Buy the car ONLY if you can keep it just in case You will not drive with Uber anymore. I got my car for personal use and I use it for Uber now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand, so the NYC route with the TLC license and TLC plates is the way to go. I need to do some more search on the Taxi/Livery Comission cause I didnt see that mentioned on the Uber website. Can anyone explain if there is more to this than listed? or is it pretty much the same crap?

Alex12: Thanks for the great information. I will look into the Lexus ES. I will just have to find a dealership that has a black on black and register it to be uberBLACK.

Im in Passaic County so i understand Newark airport/Hoboken are some good spots. My goal is to have a few drivers under my wing and have a few cars listed under my commercial insurance and hire some reliable people. I have money to invest and find this as a nice gig to work on considering Uber already has the whole infrasctructure there. It seems like since I was told my background check came back complete, I just need to start the TLC license/TLC plates in NY process and take it from there.

Alex12: I plan on financing to own the vehicle and of course, god forbid I had a issue with Uber and not being able to work for them, I would own the vehicle and take advantage of it one way or another.

Do any of you guys currently have drivers working for you or do most people drive solo here? Appreciate the help here guys. Would rather be knowledgeable up front before losing my ass half way thru the process.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Most of us here are Uber X NJ and we work with our own car. Most of the drivers work part time. I have no idea how the deal is if you get more cars and hire drivers to work for you without a limo company. UBER IS NOT A TRANSPORTATION COMPANY. At least official is not.

·
Registered
73 Posts
DON'T GO CRAZY!!!!!!!!! the first step u have to do is Try Uber. if u think a TLC o a OL plates are going to make you 100% legal driver it's false......to make decent money with uber driving a black car u maybe go to end up sleeping in the car. Try uber x and go from there, and then u realize how hard to earn money with uber can be, I don't say DON'T DO IT but u have to think smart, in any decision u will make I wish you the best luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I understand, so the NYC route with the TLC license and TLC plates is the way to go. I need to do some more search on the Taxi/Livery Comission cause I didnt see that mentioned on the Uber website. Can anyone explain if there is more to this than listed? or is it pretty much the same crap?

Alex12: Thanks for the great information. I will look into the Lexus ES. I will just have to find a dealership that has a black on black and register it to be uberBLACK.

Im in Passaic County so i understand Newark airport/Hoboken are some good spots. My goal is to have a few drivers under my wing and have a few cars listed under my commercial insurance and hire some reliable people. I have money to invest and find this as a nice gig to work on considering Uber already has the whole infrasctructure there. It seems like since I was told my background check came back complete, I just need to start the TLC license/TLC plates in NY process and take it from there.

Alex12: I plan on financing to own the vehicle and of course, god forbid I had a issue with Uber and not being able to work for them, I would own the vehicle and take advantage of it one way or another.

Do any of you guys currently have drivers working for you or do most people drive solo here? Appreciate the help here guys. Would rather be knowledgeable up front before losing my ass half way thru the process.
Before you get too far into hiring guys to drive your cars... you should get out there yourself - for at least a month and see if you can make any money at it! Uber has more than 20,000 registered drivers in NYC alone. And 5,000 or 10,000 more in New Jersey! ALL of them are struggling just to pay for the car expenses and the expenses associated with driving. You may find your drivers don't produce enough for you to cover the car expenses and their salaries. If you're not going to pay them a salary, then you'll be taking a cut of their Uber commissions - which is fair since you own the cars. But they may find after all these cuts are taken out that they're driving 12 hours a day 6 days a week and ending up with only about $400-$500 at the end of the week! Which comes to about $6.94 an hour. Or, you may end up unable to pay the car expenses, much less make a profit off of them.

Before Uber more than doubled the number of commercial drivers on the road in the NYC/NJ area, supply and demand meant that drivers could command pretty decent earnings. But you take an area that could support 10,000 drivers and create a pretty decent living for all of them, and then you triple the number of drivers to 30,000 - suddenly everyone is making only 1/3rd of what they used to make.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I would not count on Uber to make a living. I have driven for Uber for over a year as Uber Black and UberX - fewer and fewer people are Using Uber Black - I have had 6 Uber Black rides in the last 3 months. If you want to have drivers and a legal business, you are going to have to develop your own website and business. There is a lot of opportunity - but you should start by yourself and then get drivers after you learn the ropes.

Good Luck

·
Registered
971 Posts
I would not count on Uber to make a living. I have driven for Uber for over a year as Uber Black and UberX - fewer and fewer people are Using Uber Black - I have had 6 Uber Black rides in the last 3 months. If you want to have drivers and a legal business, you are going to have to develop your own website and business. There is a lot of opportunity - but you should start by yourself and then get drivers after you learn the ropes.

Good Luck
6 Black rides in 3 months? That is really bad. I was thinking that black cars get 2-3 rides per day plus the X rides. So black cars are dead?

·
Banned
821 Posts
Here are ways to think:

UberX only: 2 to 3 year old Prius V, under 30k, under 20 grand

UberX/UberXL: Toyota Highlander 4 cyl 2 wheel drive, Sienna minivan

UberX/UberBlack: Lexus 300h

UberBlack/Suv: Suburban LS with Katzkin leather installed

For Jersey only, any car on the list will do within model year requirements. Just jumped out of 2007 Camry.

For NYC, I would get what everyone else gets, but get it a few years ysed. No new unless its an awesome deal like 22k for Prius V.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts