Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone.

I drive uber in toronto, canada. I was Driving uber rider to the destination.
after reaching to the destination. i parked the car. she open the door to get off the car. The car from the back smashed the whole door.
i emailed uber help & support tell them about the accident. after a day they contact me only to get more information aand ask me to send the pics for the accident and all detials. ask me to complete incident service form.

they told me an agent from insurance company will call me and will go through the stuff. he hasn't called me yet. 3 days are gone. and this waiting period is killing me. i domt have car to drive to.my other work. and my.new car is damaged.

i.want to ask u guys.

1) its the uber rider fault, do i have to.invovle my personl insurance.. i have never told them that im Driving uber
2) will uber cover my car damages

3) if they don't. what should i do.. becuase fixinf door.will csot me alot.. and its not.my faults..

please help me out. im so scared right now. don't know what will.happen

·
Registered
808 Posts
Not sure about Canada, in America your insurance will drop you for that. Do you have a dashcam? Was the pax injured? Police report? Your personal insurance will know now, if Uber's policy holder doesn't tell them the other guy's will. Know a good lawyer? Own a pair of hip waders because you are in deep my friend.

·
Registered
175 Posts
hi everyone.

I drive uber in toronto, canada. I was Driving uber rider to the destination.
after reaching to the destination. i parked the car. she open the door to get off the car. The car from the back smashed the whole door.
i emailed uber help & support tell them about the accident. after a day they contact me only to get more information aand ask me to send the pics for the accident and all detials. ask me to complete incident service form.

they told me an agent from insurance company will call me and will go through the stuff. he hasn't called me yet. 3 days are gone. and this waiting period is killing me. i domt have car to drive to.my other work. and my.new car is damaged.

i.want to ask u guys.

1) its the uber rider fault, do i have to.invovle my personl insurance.. i have never told them that im Driving uber
2) will uber cover my car damages

3) if they don't. what should i do.. becuase fixinf door.will csot me alot.. and its not.my faults..

please help me out. im so scared right now. don't know what will.happen
If you were still on the uber system when this happened, the accident would be covered by Intact instead of your insurer.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Child lock on driver side reslar door

I had a drunk chick open the door even though I told her to wait luckily no damage, that's what I'd do for the future

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
My left side door is always locked.
While I'm driving all my doors are locked.
The locks DO NOT open until I'm pulled over to the curb and my vehicle is in park.

After checking my side mirrors I unlock and let the riders out to the right side on the sidewalk. I tell them to not use the left side and they comply.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
My left side door is always locked.
While I'm driving all my doors are locked.
The locks DO NOT open until I'm pulled over to the curb and my vehicle is in park.

After checking my side mirrors I unlock and let the riders out to the right side on the sidewalk. I tell them to not use the left side and they comply.
I wish more people had common sense like this, unfortunately a ***** also opened her door on my car and broke my sideviee mirror and the uber driver tried to play me. Lol thought I was just gonna let it slide

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I always tell my pax to exit through curb-side door. My RAV4 has allot of rear seat leg room which makes it easier.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree with the suggestions by Santa, if they apply to you. Do you have remote locks for your passenger doors? If you don't have remote door locks you might try getting the money to fix the door from the passenger since the passenger caused the accident. If the customer is unwilling to pay, you might try suing through small claims court. You would need to get the customer contact information from Uber and multiple estimates to substantiate the cost unless Uber or Intact tells you differently. I notice that Uber's Intact insurance has the $1000 deductible. It isn't clear to me if this applies to your situation. If it does apply and if your cost to repair is over $1000 you might sue the passenger for $1000 plus any expenses related to loss of use that are not covered by Uber. You don't need a lawyer for small claims court.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Child locks s/b turned on for rear left door and always ensure they exit on curbside but you also need to watch for bicycles. The above incident will be tagged as the drivers fault and will most likely have to go through is personal insurance

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Never stop driving the car until it is safe to exit, preferably in a safe spot or exit curbside close enough so bikes can't pass.
Use your side mirrors!!!! Pax won't jump out if the car is still moving!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you were still on the uber system when this happened, the accident would be covered by Intact instead of your insurer.
I got the intact number from the uber rider app. They told me an agent will call me in 24-48 hours and will go through the procedure. .
A day after uber support people called me and told me and agent from different insurance will call me and will go through the procedure. No one has called me yet. Its more than 48 hours now (3 days passed).

Please tell me guys. what should I do. Am I covered. ?.. will uber fix my car ?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I got the intact number from the uber rider app. They told me an agent will call me in 24-48 hours and will go through the procedure. .
A day after uber support people called me and told me and agent from different insurance will call me and will go through the procedure. No one has called me yet. Its more than 48 hours now (3 days passed).

Please tell me guys. what should I do. Am I covered. ?.. will uber fix my car ?
I guess somehow they will. Everything takes time with uber. But you are probably asking the wrong people. As far as I know, nobody here has been in the same situation, so any advice is a guess.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
One thing that may influence your situation: was the trip completed in app prior to the incident? Future reference: Specifically for this reason try not to do not end the trip until the rider is safely away from the vehicle.

Do not contact your personal carrier, only go through Uber's insurance. They will want to see a copy of your declarations page to confirm you had full personal coverage at the time of the accident, but if they operate in Canada the way they do here, they will not contact your carrier.

Is there a way you can get to an Uber office? If so, consider going there for support. You will hear from them either way, unfortunately it may take more patience than you currently have. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing that may influence your situation: was the trip completed in app prior to the incident? Future reference: Specifically for this reason try not to do not end the trip until the rider is safely away from the vehicle.

Do not contact your personal carrier, only go through Uber's insurance. They will want to see a copy of your declarations page to confirm you had full personal coverage at the time of the accident, but if they operate in Canada the way they do here, they will not contact your carrier.

Is there a way you can get to an Uber office? If so, consider going there for support. You will hear from them either way, unfortunately it may take more patience than you currently have. Good luck.
Thanks for replying.

The trip was still on. I closed it after the accident happened. The rider were still in the car when the accident happened.

Im curious about , am I covered or not by uber ?

And if they says no, then what are my other options ?

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
Thanks for replying.

The trip was still on. I closed it after the accident happened. The rider were still in the car when the accident happened.

Im curious about , am I covered or not by uber ?

And if they says no, then what are my other options ?
Small claims court.

Its probably already too late to try to get your personal insurance to help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As long as the rider was in your car, Uber states they will cover you. Let's assume your personal insurance wasn't informed and your policy got cancelled for not informing them. You just walk into one of the Uber offices (Mississauga and toronto Downtown) and talk to the agent there, for further escalation or resolution. I heard once its in the hands of the insurance investigators for Uber, they take their time to get back. Some cases might take more than few weeks for a resolution. You can confirm this with the agents in the office. Don't quote me on it but i heard from another friend that you have 1000 deductible and the rest will be paid by Uber for your damages. This is even when your primary insurer denies your claim. All you have to worry at that point is a Policy cancellation going on your record plus any future premium increases that come about.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank for going through in details.

I haven't told my personal insurance yet. I'm assuming they will cover my damages. I don't want to involve my insurance company at all..

Will they inform my insurance company , without telling me ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's possible. Because Uber policy clearly states that it's the Driver's responsibility to inform their Insurance provider concerning Uber. But you never know.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
With the trip not completed you were still in period 3, which if nothing else strongly suggests Uber will cover you.

My experience in Chicago is that they do not contact your personal carrier, but you do have to confirm that you were driving with full coverage at the time of the accident. This was done by taking a picture of the declarations page and submitting it to Uber's insurance, via the app they provided to submit images of the damage. I imagine it will be similar for you.

The adjuster will come back with an estimate based on a body shop rate of $25/hr. Find a body shop you trust, that's convenient for you to get to and don't worry about the rate, they will issue a supplement to the original estimate and Uber's insurance will cooperate. Again, this is based on my experience, you should confirm this with Intact.

It's a good idea to have a $1000 cash reserve for instances like this, or credit if nothing else.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts