Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a serious thread. I would appreciate if you give valuable input rather than 1 liners or off topic comments.

So I hv decided not to pay GST and income tax anymore from Uber income.

Reason; uber treats me as an employee when uber is not giving full job details like number of passengers and destination of passenger.

It's been established in UK and Brazil that uber business model treat drivers as employees rather than independent contractors.

I asked uber to pay my superannuation but they came up with same thing you are independent contractor.

Next Step; write to ATO that uber treats me as an employee so I won't be paying any GST or income tax from uber earnings. Also ask ATO to reimburse all the GST I submitted in last year.

Also ask ATO to collect GST and income tax directly from uber rather than contacting me again.

What result should I expect; what you guys think that the maximum consequences of this exercise? Maximum ATO rules that drivers are independent contractors and not employees or vice versa. So we will get clarity once and for all.

In case, ATO decides to chase up GST from me, what's the maximum penalty I am looking? Like jail term, hefty fines or something more???

·
Registered
64 Posts
I really think it's a great idea. All your points are valid and it's about time somebody made a stand against Uber who are the ones breaking the laws and not us. Please keep us updated on your progress!
It is so unfire to wait and see what will happened to uber driver for benefit of all of us. i tell you pay the tax but you can fight. end of the day if you win all of us win but if you loose thats only you brother

·
Registered
295 Posts
In case, ATO decides to chase up GST from me, what's the maximum penalty I am looking? Like jail term, hefty fines or something more???
You can look forward to the Sheriffs office confiscating any goods you may have and putting them up for auction. Forget about trying to get a loan as you will have defaulted. You may want to tell us what the wi-fi reception is like in jail lol :D

The course of action you're suggesting is not advisable under any circumstances, you need to rethink your strategy.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Just for once Punjabi needs our support and encouragement on this matter. Somebody who is willing to take on the ATO and give them a bloody nose should be an inspiration to us all. Keep up the good work Punjabi Driver

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please keep us updated on your progress!
Will do

The last person I know who went down that path got a 15000 dollar fine.
Can you plz elaborate further? Last person was not paying GST for uber driving or for something different? Because my point is, uber treats me as an employee so I must not pay GST. It's uber responsibility to pay GST as my employer.

end of the day if you win all of us win but if you loose thats only you brother
Lol right.....

LOL another piss up
^^ ignore

The course of action you're suggesting is not advisable under any circumstances, you need to rethink your strategy.
Employer are supposed to pay taxes. Uber treats me as an employee so I am not paying taxes anymore unless Australian courts and ATO determine that I am infact a independent contractor which I am not. To be independent contractor, I need to know details of job like destination, final payout, number of passengers in advance. I don't get these details unless I complete trip. So uber treats me as an employee.

I shall not expect any more "brilliance" from a Poohnjabi driver.
I am pretty sure, UK and Brazilian courts are more knowledgeable then some base queens (losers) on this forum

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey Punjabi if you go to Ato office I suggest you pay get and income tax but still go to ato. I am paying mine but if u want to go to with body I can come along with you. I ll drive one more months for uberx so I have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It's a serious thread. I would appreciate if you give valuable input rather than 1 liners or off topic comments.

Reason; uber treats me as an employee when uber is not giving full job details like number of passengers and destination of passenger.

It's been established in UK and Brazil that uber business model treat drivers as employees rather than independent contractors.

I asked uber to pay my superannuation but they came up with same thing you are independent contractor.

Next Step; write to ATO that uber treats me as an employee so I won't be paying any GST or income tax from uber earnings. Also ask ATO to reimburse all the GST I submitted in last year.

Also ask ATO to collect GST and income tax directly from uber rather than contacting me again.

What result should I expect; what you guys think that the maximum consequences of this exercise? Maximum ATO rules that drivers are independent contractors and not employees or vice versa. So we will get clarity once and for all.

Feel good now, feel terrible later after the ATO and the Courts have had their process. You risk feeling very lonely at some time in the future.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I think the ATO and Uber will lose this case when Punjabi Driver is prosecuted. He has very good grounds on which he can fight and win this battle, please support him

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think the ATO and Uber will lose this case when Punjabi Driver is prosecuted. He has very good grounds on which he can fight and win this battle, please support him
The advantage to winning this fight against the disadvantage of the possibility of losing, with its consequences need to be weighed up. I can't see it being worth it to be the test case.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

What result should I expect; what you guys think that the maximum consequences of this exercise? ?
Typical consequences - Court hearings. Adjournments. More hearings. Documents. Negotiations. Much worse than a passenger who refuses to leave your vehicle.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would say
1. get a good lawyer, discuss this with him and then do what you are suggesting.
2. pay ATO GST and tax and launch a separate case as per your points above.
3. if you win, you will get back all your GST and if you loose, all you have lost is the case and fee associated with it.
4. if you are going to do the number 1,2,3 above, I am happy to contribute and I will gather other Uber drivers to contribute. after all this will help all of us.

but please do it properly, dont just stop paying GST and taxes because you think you are not a contractor. The law is complicated beast and with ATO it is monster, handle it with care. God speed..

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
A jail term is a possibility but a 6 X 3 cell is still better than the boot. The only thing is to make sure you never drop the soap in the shower room

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts

Even if you are correctly classified as an employee (and in my opinion most drivers are actually employees), income tax is still your responsibility and liability. Even if your employer isn't withholding any/enough tax, you are expected to make up any shortfalls.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts