Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Nissan Altima that is going in for a new transmission tomorrow morning. For the past two weeks the car does not turn over easily in the morning and for the third time the battery does not have enough charge to start the engine.
AAA has checked the battery and said that it is fine aside from the charging cell being low. I have heard that a faulty transmission can result in a battery not charging but I don’t understand the dynamic.

Does anyone out here have any assistance they can provide?

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I have a 2016 Nissan Altima that is going in for a new transmission tomorrow morning. For the past two weeks the car does not turn over easily in the morning and for the third time the battery does not have enough charge to start the engine.
AAA has checked the battery and said that it is fine aside from the charging cell being low. I have heard that a faulty transmission can result in a battery not charging but I don't understand the dynamic.

How many miles on that transmission that it needs replacing? I have a 2015 Altima and the one thing that worries me is the transmission.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Corrosion in the battery cables can cause transmission problems, at low voltage, transmission can get stuck in 3rd gear, better check the electric system before spend a huge amount of money

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
How many miles on that transmission that it needs replacing? I have a 2015 Altima and the one thing that worries me is the transmission.
Nissan CVTS seem to junk the fluid in 60k or so. Changing it often seems pretty key to longevity in those.

AAA has checked the battery and said that it is fine aside from the charging cell being low. I have heard that a faulty transmission can result in a battery not charging but I don't understand the dynamic.

I've never heard of a transmission effecting battery charge. I'm not too familiar with Nissan CVTs to accurately say, but in a normal car I'd agree with Ty. This sounds more like a alternator issue.

Batteries can test fine voltage wise but still be incapable of the amperage needed to crank the car as well. Unless AAA really load tested the battery, which I doubt, there diagnosis means nothing.

Heat is what kills the most batteries, and summer time underhood temps in a rideshare car in the city are brutal. It could also simply be the battery is just done.

I hope you're also pretty sure the transmission is really trashed as well. These cars have been known to go from completely undriveable to fine after a fluid change and as another poster mentioned, if you have a voltage issue the "failure" could be electrical related as well and a very easy fix. It's not hard to believe a Nissan CVT shit the bed on the other hand though. It's not like it's rare.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

This won't address your Transmision issue but that battery is nearing 4 years old in that car. Remember 2016's hit the market in October of 2015. OEM batteries are really only good for about 3 years. I would replace the battery regardless of what AAA says. Better safe than sorry. As for the battery and transmission issue. Nissans do use an electronicly controller transmission. I had one that had a short in the control module and caused it to shift at odd times just like the ****** was going. It was nothing more than a couple hundred dollar electronic module. If you are taking it back to the Stealership and it is under warranty no worries won't cost you. But if it is out of warrenty I would have them show you the full diagnostic before you let them do any work that you have to pay for. Transmissions today even Nissans should be good for 250k or more with no problems at all no matter what the driving conditions. Unless you are towing with it a 3 year old ****** should not go. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
This won't address your Transmision issue but that battery is nearing 4 years old in that car. Remember 2016's hit the market in October of 2015. OEM batteries are really only good for about 3 years. I would replace the battery regardless of what AAA says. Better safe than sorry. As for the battery and transmission issue. Nissans do use an electronicly controller transmission. I had one that had a short in the control module and caused it to shift at odd times just like the @@@@@@ was going. It was nothing more than a couple hundred dollar electronic module. If you are taking it back to the Stealership and it is under warranty no worries won't cost you. But if it is out of warrenty I would have them show you the full diagnostic before you let them do any work that you have to pay for. Transmissions today even Nissans should be good for 250k or more with no problems at all no matter what the driving conditions. Unless you are towing with it a 3 year old @@@@@@ should not go. Good luck.
Agreed. Replacing whole transmission because of electrical problem looks like dealership's way of making easy money.

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Totally unrelated to your Nissan problem but.

Years ago I had a Ford E-150 Cargo van that would occasionally stall when I put it in reverse. Went to dealer and they said it wasn't electrical but possible transmission problem. Van had 115,000 miles at the time...they advised mechanical diagnosis, maybe new trans. blah blah blah.
I drove it out and figured I would live the problem until it got unbearable. Did a tune up several months later and noticed one badly worn spark plug. After tune up the van never stalled again. Sold the van with 275,000 miles years later and never had a transmission problem.

Moral of the story...dealer service departments are crooks get an independent second opinion before you start replacing transmissions.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is my second. First was a warranty replacement at 32k; then this one 80k later at 112k. Nissan is picking up 60% despite being out of warranty.

Agreed. Replacing whole transmission because of electrical problem looks like dealership's way of making easy money.
Nissan is picking up 60% of the cost because in June of this year they settled a class action lawsuit for the model years 2013 through 2016 for the Altima.

This is the second ****** for this car so it's not new to me.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
This is my second. First was a warranty replacement at 32k; then this one 80k later at 112k. Nissan is picking up 60% despite being out of warranty.

Nissan is picking up 60% of the cost because in June of this year they settled a class action lawsuit for the model years 2013 through 2016 for the Altima.

This is the second @@@@@@ for this car so it's not new to me.
Let me guess- your next car is not going to be a Nissan.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts

This is the second @@@@@@ for this car so it's not new to me.
So, how much did it cost for the transmission? Let me know if you are talking about the full cost, or the 40%.
Last year, while doing long shifts in the city, the transmission would not up shift when it got hot I guess. Had to stop, turn off, then start up and it would be alright. Happened every other day or so.
Just happened again yesterday, even though I had the transmission fluid changed less than 10,000 miles ago. Anything like that happened to you?
What kind of things happened that showed you that you need a new transmission?

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, how much did it cost for the transmission? Let me know if you are talking about the full cost, or the 40%.
Last year, while doing long shifts in the city, the transmission would not up shift when it got hot I guess. Had to stop, turn off, then start up and it would be alright. Happened every other day or so.
Just happened again yesterday, even though I had the transmission fluid changed less than 10,000 miles ago. Anything like that happened to you?
What kind of things happened that showed you that you need a new transmission?
I am waiting for the final cost. Repair delayed when Nissan lost servers due to a Tennessee lightening strike at hq.

Estimate is $3800. My cost is 40% of that.

Symptoms
On a very cold start, a loud whining sound emanated from the engine compartment. After warming up, I only heard that sound if I exceeded 2000-2200 rpm's. After a week, the whine volume began to increase and would trigger at lowered rpm's. I've driven 5k miles since the dealer looked at it originally. I'm now experiencing "bucking" if I try to give a lot of gas from a stop. I avoid that so I can make this last as long as possible until the repair

Regarding transmission, I have never done a fluid service because it is not recommended by Nissan for their CVT transmission.
In fact, unlike other companies Nissan will not rebuild a transmission or repair to help reduce cost.

Side note: while I complained about the cost, the service supervisor told me all cars have drawbacks. His example; the cost for a burnt out rogue headlight is $1400 compared to $100 on my Altima. (I spent $21/lamp eventually and installed myself.). ****I have no idea if this rogue info is accurate nor can I confirm there was actually a storm in Tennessee. I could be the water cooler joke for this week ...fml

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Transmission failures are pretty big drawbacks.....
You're telling me!

When I pressed for less than the quoted 4days downtime, I said I needed to drive rideshare. "Each day increases the repair cost"
Nissan replied, "warranties and consumer affair programs do not apply if the vehicle is used commercially. We advise you accept the 60% and trust we will work quickly. "

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This won't address your Transmision issue but that battery is nearing 4 years old in that car. Remember 2016's hit the market in October of 2015. OEM batteries are really only good for about 3 years. I would replace the battery regardless of what AAA says. Better safe than sorry. As for the battery and transmission issue. Nissans do use an electronicly controller transmission. I had one that had a short in the control module and caused it to shift at odd times just like the @@@@@@ was going. It was nothing more than a couple hundred dollar electronic module. If you are taking it back to the Stealership and it is under warranty no worries won't cost you. But if it is out of warrenty I would have them show you the full diagnostic before you let them do any work that you have to pay for. Transmissions today even Nissans should be good for 250k or more with no problems at all no matter what the driving conditions. Unless you are towing with it a 3 year old @@@@@@ should not go. Good luck.
Thank you

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
You're telling me!

When I pressed for less than the quoted 4days downtime, I said I needed to drive rideshare. "Each day increases the repair cost"
Nissan replied, "warranties and consumer affair programs do not apply if the vehicle is used commercially. We advise you accept the 60% and trust we will work quickly. "
Did you get a rental while it's getting fixed?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts